Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Getting TPC Supercharger Installed

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 09:19 PM
BiteEmNBeatEm
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the tpc superchargers and turbo kits do work well and I guess that's accredited to there time on the track and under these cars. Have fun with it
Old 05-21-2014, 09:37 PM
gridlock61
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BiteEmNBeatEm
the tpc superchargers and turbo kits do work well and I guess that's accredited to there time on the track and under these cars. Have fun with it
Thanks; should be getting car back in 2-3 weeks, so will report back then. Do you have any direct experience with their kits?
Old 06-12-2014, 02:36 PM
Fortuna
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Help me find my 993 Convertible TPC Supercharger.
Who sells them?
Where can I see a link to their site?
Old 06-30-2014, 03:48 PM
gridlock61
Racer

Thumbs up Supercharger Installation Complete!

Just got the car back a few days ago. Here are pictures of the before and after dyno runs, and the engine bay. My guess is that the dyno run after the installation would have been a bit better if the weather were cooler: it was about 90 degrees on that day, but much cooler when the run was done prior to the installation. Still an extra 83 HP ain't too shabby! Supercharger certainly adds a substantial amount of power, most noticeable from 1500 rpm on up. The wide ratios of the standard gearbox don't seem to matter as much anymore, as the powerband is now much wider, with power kicking in much earlier. You still feel a more powerful rush at mid-high rpms, but it's much more linear than before. Supercharger whine is somewhat evident with the top up, but much more noticeable with the top down. There is also more engine noise, which may be partially due to the open cone air filter now on the car.

I need some time to get used to the new setup, but so far so good! It does appear to be a high quality installation.
Attached Images   

Last edited by gridlock61; 06-30-2014 at 04:43 PM.
Old 06-30-2014, 04:28 PM
RichPugh
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice! Sorry we didnt get a chance to grab pizza and/or a beer(s) while you were in the Baltimore area.

Could you post a better pic of the pipe behind the MAF and filter? I believe its a solid aluminum pipe for the ISV. Mine is made of stock rubber hoses and it collapses under static idle vacuum. It doesnt quite pinch closed so it seems to still function fine. I was thinking a hard pipe would be a better solution so I was just curious how that looks on your installation.

Also, any better pics of the vacuum connections in the upper left corner and the heat duct tube and area behind the supercharger nose brace.

Thanks!
Old 06-30-2014, 06:09 PM
Ducks964
Racer

What amount of boost are you running? I am around 6 psi and running an intercooler. Currently working on improving the cooling of the intercooler as it is hard to get the bubbles out of the coolant system. Also running rich on boost - in the 10's.
Old 06-30-2014, 06:19 PM
lopro
Banned

what happends to your heat system once the charges is installed?
Old 06-30-2014, 06:29 PM
Ducks964
Racer

His system appears to have all parts needed. On the 964, I could not put the rear fan. I put in a small bilge pump so have heat as well.
Old 06-30-2014, 10:09 PM
mr_bock
Three Wheelin'

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by RichPugh
Could you post a better pic of the pipe behind the MAF and filter? I believe its a solid aluminum pipe for the ISV. Mine is made of stock rubber hoses and it collapses under static idle vacuum. It doesnt quite pinch closed so it seems to still function fine. I was thinking a hard pipe would be a better solution so I was just curious how that looks on your installation.
The shop that did my SC install put a section of thin wall aluminum tubing inside the section of hose so the hose won't collapse and the hose extends past the tube so the hose can use the hose clamps and look nice.

I did not care for the TPC blue hoses, so I search the internet and found black silicone hoses and replaced all of them.
Old 07-01-2014, 10:00 AM
1stgear
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 40 Posts

Let's hear a sound clip of that supercharger whine!
Old 07-01-2014, 10:05 AM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

^+1
or a go pro clip of the acceleration could work too
Old 07-01-2014, 03:18 PM
RichPugh
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mr_bock
The shop that did my SC install put a section of thin wall aluminum tubing inside the section of hose so the hose won't collapse and the hose extends past the tube so the hose can use the hose clamps and look nice.

I did not care for the TPC blue hoses, so I search the internet and found black silicone hoses and replaced all of them.
That was one of my considerations. A spring, not tubing, but still same idea. I dont mind the blue silicone boots as my car is blue, lol. I even replaced all my injector stack boots to blue, haha.
Old 07-01-2014, 06:01 PM
gridlock61
Racer

Originally Posted by RichPugh
Nice! Sorry we didnt get a chance to grab pizza and/or a beer(s) while you were in the Baltimore area.

Also, any better pics of the vacuum connections in the upper left corner and the heat duct tube and area behind the supercharger nose brace.

Thanks!
Hi Rich,

I try to get some additional pictures over the weekend.
Old 07-01-2014, 06:04 PM
gridlock61
Racer

Originally Posted by Ducks964
What amount of boost are you running? I am around 6 psi and running an intercooler. Currently working on improving the cooling of the intercooler as it is hard to get the bubbles out of the coolant system. Also running rich on boost - in the 10's.
TPC mentioned about 5 psi. They thought that any more may compromise the overall reliability of the engine. Since I don't intend on running it on the track, and am not constantly into the boost, I didn't think the intercooler setup was necessary for me.
Old 07-01-2014, 06:07 PM
gridlock61
Racer

Originally Posted by 1stgear
Let's hear a sound clip of that supercharger whine!
I don't have a GoPro, so will need to use my cell phone. It's the biggest downside with the supercharger: the sound with the top up isn't too bad. But with the top down, the supercharger on boost sounds very metallic; like metal parts are scraping against other metallic parts... very grating! I wonder if there is something I can to muffle the engine sound a bit (not exhaust sound, just the sound coming from the supercharger. Any thoughts?

Quick Reply: Getting TPC Supercharger Installed