Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

YAER (yet another engine rebuild)

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 12:31 AM
ReinerFink
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hit a snag tonight -- was about to remove the goo from the chain housing (sprockets, ramps, etc and the housings themselves) when I decided first to rotate to TDC for cylinder #1 just so I know where things are before I start taking things apart.

Well, I get almost exactly 270 degree rotation on the crank before I hit a wall. Then I can rotate it back the other way 270 before I hit a wall again.

All of the plugs are out, and I don't want to force anything. I can see the intake valves opening and closing for cyl #1 and #3 during the 3/4 turn I do get on the crank. Hmm..

Any ideas why I seem to hit a wall trying to just turn things over by hand??

-reiner
Old 03-05-2014, 01:44 AM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey Reiner...

Are you cam chains loose? Ie are the still on the cams wheels on the cams? If they are not they can bind up as you rotate the engine and stop it rotating.
Old 03-05-2014, 01:51 AM
ReinerFink
Racer

Originally Posted by trophy
Are you cam chains loose? Ie are the still on the cams wheels on the cams?
The chains are still on the cam sprockets. I have not undone anything (except temporarily the left side tensioner to remove the shield that is bolted on top).

I could just start pulling it apart, but I its weird that it won't turn in this state since it was apparently running fine before this all started.

-reiner
Old 03-05-2014, 03:04 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Updated - read the thread, you are at the disassembly phase. Interesting, not sure what you have stripped off the engine, but it sounds like binding. If you have not changed the timing, then it should not be contact of the pistons to the valves.

- is the transmission off the engine? clutch is free and clear of the engine stand?
- timing still in place for both banks? Are the tensioners still in place, or are the ramps loose (that might cause the chain to bind).

If you suspect valve to piston contact, remove the rockers and see if the engine turns over freely. Not sure how this would happen if you have not changed the timing.

You also mentioned getting an updated washer on the cam gear - I thought you had the older style sprockets that use a pin to hold the position (the best way!).

Cheers,

Mike
Old 03-05-2014, 03:26 AM
ReinerFink
Racer

Originally Posted by Mike J
- is the transmission off the engine? clutch is free and clear of the engine stand?
- timing still in place for both banks? Are the tensioners still in place, or are the ramps loose (that might cause the chain to bind).
The trans and clutch are all off.

Both tensioners are in, but I can see the ramps move up and down when I turn the crank the 3/4 turn it will go.

I am guessing the chain is just binding because there is no pressure on the ramps.

p.s. I do have the old style pin in the cam sprocket...

-reiner
Old 03-05-2014, 10:49 AM
trophy
Race Car

Was it running before the strip down?

Do you have any pics you can post of the chain housings and the flywheel end of the engine.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:31 AM
ReinerFink
Racer

Here are picts of the left/right chain and fw end:

Sorry for the low quality...

-reiner
Old 03-05-2014, 11:34 AM
ReinerFink
Racer

In those picts I do have the tensioners removed. Though I would try taking them out to see if it made a difference.

I am going to have a friend come over and put pressure on the ramps with a screwdriver through the tensioner hole while I slowly crank it over to see if that makes a difference.

Also, car was running before the engine drop. I don't see how the timing could have changed at all at this point.

-reiner
Old 03-05-2014, 11:50 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

You are going to need to make up a tool to tension the ramps anyways to time the engine, so why dont you do that and tension both ramps, take the slack out of the chains (or do it with your friend). I think you are on the right track, its likely the right hand chain binding if I go with the pictures, they look pretty close.

Its always interesting to check the timing on an engine before its taken apart anyways. Are you going to time it the old fashioned way, or do you have access to the factory tools?

Cheers,

Mike
Old 03-05-2014, 01:21 PM
e3photo
Three Wheelin'

The chain on the right side looks like it is binding.

Emerald
Old 03-05-2014, 01:27 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just tear it down. It was running fine before you pulled it. The binding is surely because you removed the tensioners. Just inspect the layshaft gears and timing chains once you have it apart to make sure there's no damage.
Old 03-05-2014, 01:37 PM
ReinerFink
Racer

Yep, I'm leaning that way. Next hurdle - obtaining a 10 mm socket that is thin enough to fit onto the chain guide M6 bolts
Old 03-05-2014, 07:16 PM
trophy
Race Car

Originally Posted by pipingken1
How expensive was the head work quote? I saw the Excellence mag article and Steven had $2500 in his budget tabulation but not sure if that was just the machine work or valves included.
For a rebuild of heads including a full new set of RS Valves etc you are looking at around $3100, this however is variable because the retail of the valves etc moves around.

This is not saying that the difference between 2500 and 3100 is the cost of the RS valves. Most of the time when Steve redoes heads he ends up having to replace the exhaust valves anyway, He can chime in on the frequency. So sometimes the incremental cost only ends up being the cost of the new Intake valves and the difference between stock and RS exhaust valves...

I reserve the right to be corrected by Steve W.....
Old 03-05-2014, 07:20 PM
trophy
Race Car

Originally Posted by ReinerFink
Yep, I'm leaning that way. Next hurdle - obtaining a 10 mm socket that is thin enough to fit onto the chain guide M6 bolts
A snap-on 12 point 10mm works a treat, or a nut driver.

Originally Posted by NP993
Just tear it down. It was running fine before you pulled it. The binding is surely because you removed the tensioners. Just inspect the layshaft gears and timing chains once you have it apart to make sure there's no damage.
+1, If she was a runner, just tear into it.....

Originally Posted by e3photo
The chain on the right side looks like it is binding.

+1, it is amazing how such a little bit of slack in the chain can cause this to happen. Also shows how important chain tensioners are and why porsche went they way they did with waht we now have in the 993's

Emerald
Old 03-05-2014, 07:51 PM
ReinerFink
Racer

Originally Posted by trophy
...sometimes the incremental cost only ends up being the cost of the new Intake valves and the difference between stock and RS exhaust valves...
I think a large part of the additional machining cost is enlarging the piston intake pockets to clear the 51.5mm RS valves... but I also defer to Steve.

-reiner

Quick Reply: YAER (yet another engine rebuild)