Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Ownership experience of the common dude who wants to be cool in a 993

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 12:17 AM
HerrDoktor
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And welcome, David, to our friendly internet club, where we are all smarter, older, and better looking than you
Old 07-02-2015, 12:42 AM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Old 07-02-2015, 09:47 AM
CerberuskY
Advanced

Am I in the minority on this one??? I found the article to be humorous, and enjoyed reading it. Probably a great article to read for someone who does not know a lot about older cars and/or someone who is not very good with DIY car maintenance.
Old 07-02-2015, 11:22 AM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by CerberuskY
Am I in the minority on this one??? I found the article to be humorous, and enjoyed reading it. Probably a great article to read for someone who does not know a lot about older cars and/or someone who is not very good with DIY car maintenance.
Yeah - I thought it was a harmless, funny, sad account of 993 ownership by someone new to older cars. Internet message boards tend to lay on the criticism nice and thick. Seems the author has a thick skin, so hopefully he continues to hone his craft.

In the spirit of the best Internet communities, I'll give my criticism from someone with absolutely no literary background or authority on these things - The O'Rourke quote is dated and uncalled for....and either do satire or don't. This article is in some kind of strange middle ground and the humor was lost on many.
Old 07-02-2015, 12:29 PM
F308gt4
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I enjoyed the article as well. Been there, done that, although it was an Alfa Spider for me when I was in my early 20's. The car was beautiful, but it was clearly not well cared for by the multiple prior owners, and I spent a lot of money that I couldn't afford in maintaining it. However, I learned alot from the experience, and have memories that will last me my lifetime.
Old 07-02-2015, 02:51 PM
Michel M.
Advanced

I find hard to comprehend where all the hate comes from. For me the article was quite genuine story of a young petrolhead who has yet to gain all the necessary experience. Everybody was there once, does not matter if it was behind the wheel of rusty old Buick or aircooled Porsche.

And if he can afford 991 GT3 on his own at the age of 25, more power to him.
Old 07-03-2015, 01:50 PM
XavierLaFlamme
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 41 Posts

I have sympathy for that dude.

I am a newb on so much stuff that goes on with my 993.

Scorn is easy.

--Michael
Old 07-03-2015, 02:11 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,446 Likes on 1,018 Posts

Owning any car out of warranty while not being prepared to get you own hands into it can be ridiculous ly expensive.
Old 07-23-2015, 08:41 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by AOW162435
As someone born to German parents who saw firsthand the atrocities of WWII, the above comment tells me everything I need to know about you.

Andreas
Originally Posted by Shtootgart
Plagiarized P.J. O' Rourke on that one. He earned, on his own apparently, enough to drive a 991 now. Blog on Hemingway
So the offending quotation was - quite obviously I thought - a reference to PJ's seminal descriptor.

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Oooooh, so cool you got to drop multiple 99x GT3's in one post.
Originally Posted by HerrDoktor
And welcome, David, to our friendly internet club, where we are all smarter, older, and better looking than you
Originally Posted by CerberuskY
Originally Posted by mpruden
Yeah - I thought it was a harmless, funny, sad account of 993 ownership by someone new to older cars. Internet message boards tend to lay on the criticism nice and thick. Seems the author has a thick skin, so hopefully he continues to hone his craft.

In the spirit of the best Internet communities, I'll give my criticism from someone with absolutely no literary background or authority on these things - The O'Rourke quote is dated and uncalled for....and either do satire or don't. This article is in some kind of strange middle ground and the humor was lost on many.
Originally Posted by F308gt4
I enjoyed the article as well. Been there, done that, although it was an Alfa Spider for me when I was in my early 20's. The car was beautiful, but it was clearly not well cared for by the multiple prior owners, and I spent a lot of money that I couldn't afford in maintaining it. However, I learned alot from the experience, and have memories that will last me my lifetime.
Originally Posted by Michel M.
I find hard to comprehend where all the hate comes from. For me the article was quite genuine story of a young petrolhead who has yet to gain all the necessary experience. Everybody was there once, does not matter if it was behind the wheel of rusty old Buick or aircooled Porsche.

And if he can afford 991 GT3 on his own at the age of 25, more power to him.
Originally Posted by XavierLaFlamme
I have sympathy for that dude.

I am a newb on so much stuff that goes on with my 993.

Scorn is easy.

--Michael
Although I miss my former cars quite a lot - 993 especially - one of the things that I absolutely do not miss is the outpouring of vitriol from many 993 owners toward anyone who:

(1) Sells a 993
(2) Sells a 993 to buy a nicer, newer car (Especially a Porsche)
(3) Happens to be youthful and buys a 993

I have experienced this party line on RL and in person; in particular there is one local PCA member who made a snide remark about my 993 at Petit Le Mans one year, and followed it up with a downright rude remark about my 997.1 GT3 the next year.

As for the comments about my lack of mechanical aptitude - so what? I don't have an interest in getting my hands dirty or knuckles skinned. I've never even washed any of my cars myself. I'd prefer to spend my (limited) leisure time doing something I enjoy (like, you know, driving my car).

As for the remaining remarks: I purchased the 993 out of college, as soon as I could afford one, and I got the 997.1 GT3 last year. Earlier this year, I sold the 993 to a very nice gentleman who is also a member on this forum, and my 997.1 GT3 suffered a total loss when a teen failed to yield immediately in front of me. I got the 991 GT3 last month, and have enjoyed it plenty, but I miss a third pedal.
Old 07-23-2015, 09:04 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Add drama queen to the list of descriptors. Please. I've never seen vitriol to anyone selling a 993. Or, to someone younger joining the fold. Sincerity and enthusiasm are respected, however.

We had a young member here, who actually impressed most of us by his passion, and willingness to dive in to the improvement of his cars full on. Not exactly the typical DIYer for a number of reasons. Unfortunately, he lost his life in the pursuit of his passion.
Old 07-23-2015, 09:10 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Add drama queen to the list of descriptors. Please. I've never seen vitriol to anyone selling a 993. Or, to someone younger joining the fold. Sincerity and enthusiasm are respected, however.

We had a young member here, who actually impressed most of us by his passion, and willingness to dive in to the improvement of his cars full on. Not exactly the typical DIYer for a number of reasons. Unfortunately, he lost his life in the pursuit of his passion.
Piuma Canyon road I believe.

I'm sorry I wasn't able to impress you...
Old 07-23-2015, 10:09 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,370 Likes on 793 Posts

Originally Posted by Guest89
So the offending quotation was - quite obviously I thought - a reference to PJ's seminal descriptor.

Although I miss my former cars quite a lot - 993 especially - one of the things that I absolutely do not miss is the outpouring of vitriol from many 993 owners toward anyone who:

(1) Sells a 993
(2) Sells a 993 to buy a nicer, newer car (Especially a Porsche)
(3) Happens to be youthful and buys a 993

I have experienced this party line on RL and in person; in particular there is one local PCA member who made a snide remark about my 993 at Petit Le Mans one year, and followed it up with a downright rude remark about my 997.1 GT3 the next year.

As for the comments about my lack of mechanical aptitude - so what? I don't have an interest in getting my hands dirty or knuckles skinned. I've never even washed any of my cars myself. I'd prefer to spend my (limited) leisure time doing something I enjoy (like, you know, driving my car).

As for the remaining remarks: I purchased the 993 out of college, as soon as I could afford one, and I got the 997.1 GT3 last year. Earlier this year, I sold the 993 to a very nice gentleman who is also a member on this forum, and my 997.1 GT3 suffered a total loss when a teen failed to yield immediately in front of me. I got the 991 GT3 last month, and have enjoyed it plenty, but I miss a third pedal.
Maybe the internet is not for you.

and i'm about your age.
Old 07-24-2015, 06:48 AM
AZ Targa
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Piuma Canyon road I believe.

I'm sorry I wasn't able to impress you...
Age has little to nothing to do with it. As for impressing, or lack thereof, you could learn to check your tires once in awhile, might also help with the replacement of the, "finest Michelins money could buy."

I am also close to the same age as you, I have yet to experience any negativity due to my age in the Porsche community. I am sorry that you have.
Old 07-25-2015, 04:18 AM
Guest89
Drifting

Originally Posted by AZ Targa
Age has little to nothing to do with it. As for impressing, or lack thereof, you could learn to check your tires once in awhile, might also help with the replacement of the, "finest Michelins money could buy."

I am also close to the same age as you, I have yet to experience any negativity due to my age in the Porsche community. I am sorry that you have.
Count yourself lucky that you haven't encountered the slings and arrows of old(er) men who hate on younger owners. Unfortunately it happens.

I don't miss the 'tude of superannuated 993 owners on here or in person around Atlanta.
Old 07-25-2015, 12:50 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,370 Likes on 793 Posts

Count yourself lucky that you haven't encountered the slings and arrows of old(er) men who hate on younger owners. Unfortunately it happens.

I don't miss the 'tude of superannuated 993 owners on here or in person around Atlanta.
ok, bye

Quick Reply: Ownership experience of the common dude who wants to be cool in a 993