993 Forum 1995-1998

Top 10 Mod's for new 993 owner

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 01:13 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Top 10 Mod's for new 993 owner

I'm new to the 993 fold, having just purchased a RoW 95 C2 Manual (I take delivery next week)

Without reading 1,800 and something 993 threads (I tried filtering), can those in the know give a concise summary of the top 10 mod's / must do's to your newly acquired 993 please?

I want to keep the car looking stock, but as a regular track day participant in a 76 C3, like my cars to run and handle at their best. This car will be a roadie only, but there are some twistie B Roads in New Zealand so it needs to seriously handle, but not tram-line or bounce.

So what's the deal with suspension, bushes, performance chipping, by pass thingies etc.

Cheers
Kiwi 911

Last edited by kiwi 911; 12-31-2013 at 11:04 PM.
Old 12-05-2013, 01:37 AM
Edinsf
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not knowledgeable about making your car handle better but I had a Fister D short shift kit and golden rod installed on my 993 and its a great feeling shifter.
Your car looks great! Nice color!
Old 12-05-2013, 01:55 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 338 Posts
Default Mods.....

Stage 1: First thing, drive the car for a while, get to know her and her eccentricities.

1. If the car is high mileage on original struts and shocks, and it rolls like a sea sick porpoise, change out shocks and struts and perhaps beef up sway bars. My personal preference, back in the day when I first starting "ruining the resale value" of my 993, upgrading to M030 suspension. It is "Factory", and it will fit. Later I upgraded to Bilstein PSS9 suspension with TRG sway bars. The car was no quicker on the track.

2. Mufflers....the factory "Motorsound"option is an air filter cover with holes to give more induction noise under wide open throttle, and mufflers were part of the package too. I have had this package...it is pretty nice...mellow too. Sure you can put on super loud mufflers and **** off your neighbors, and at the same time, become very conspicuous to law enforcement.

3. Tires: Research tires, and replace your current tires if needed. Stay with the 17" for the road...they provide the best ride. The factory 205 and 255 sizes are just fine...sure you can go bigger, but what for. 18" wheels with the low profile tires, they do look cool but they give a rough ride, and the tires are more expensive.

As I recall, NZ is full of speed cameras, radar, laser with the police trying to keep your driving speeds as close to the speed limits as possible. So I would NOT spend too much time and money modifying the car for the street if the probability of receiving a speeding ticket(s) and possible loss of drivers license is a probability.

Stage II: Track the car.
There are two types of cars, street cars and race cars. If you want a race car, then figure out with whom you'll be racing and also determine if a 993 is a competitive car with the Club you wish to run with. If so, prepare to spend a lot of money...and in the process, your car will be worthless for the street, rough, noisy and generally uncomfortable. I am at this stage of car development.

Repeat: Drive your new Baby and get to know her. A stock 993 is more car than most can handle, that is, drive it at 10/10ths. Welcome to the Club!!!
Old 12-05-2013, 02:39 AM
saneproductions
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car came with hollow technology wheels (turbo twists) and M030 with nice dampers and I really recommend those mods. I also have a motor sound airbox, but not the mufflers. Very nice sound, but I want the mufflers.
Old 12-05-2013, 02:41 AM
Aussie Alan 993
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Kiwi,
Nice car and great number plate.
Two of the first things I did were to remove the engine undertray and install a cooling fan over ride switch, both to keep the engine temps down in Summer.
I don't know how strict your "keep the stock look" policy is but one other thing that I found essential is dark window tint, it helps keep the interior cooler and increases comfort level.
Welcome to the 993 club.

Cheers
Alan
Old 12-05-2013, 04:14 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Keep it stock policy means not a slippery slope to club day track car that sees the track once a month. I will keep my c3 for this . I will lower to rs ride height and like the sound box idea for throttle sound.
Old 12-05-2013, 04:15 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by saneproductions
My car came with hollow technology wheels (turbo twists) and M030 with nice dampers and I really recommend those mods. I also have a motor sound airbox, but not the mufflers. Very nice sound, but I want the mufflers.
Where do I get a motor box?
Old 12-05-2013, 06:44 AM
orangecurry
Burning Brakes

Received 380 Likes on 263 Posts

Motorsound airbox is just the standard one with a few holes drilled, and a chromed intake. Buy one from your local OPC.

Top ten Mods?
1) suspension
2) suspension
3) suspension
4) suspension
5) suspension
6) suspension
7) suspension
8) suspension
9) better steering wheel
10) HID headlight bulb/electronics from ToreB (if you go out in the dark, otherwise spend the money on suspension)
11) if you have any money left over, Large Oval tailpipes.

Keep the Cup2s.... if they are OE. In the photos they don't look quite right. Might just be my eyes. What are the numbers stamped each side of the air valves?

I'm not an OE snob, but the OE cup2 is a fantastically well made, strong and light wheel.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:09 AM
911PERVY
Banned

Received 223 Likes on 183 Posts

Try this

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=10902
Old 12-05-2013, 07:37 AM
orangecurry
Burning Brakes

Received 380 Likes on 263 Posts

I forgot the front strut brace (I have the carpet covering mine). If you 'press-on' then it's definitely noticable and relatively cheap.

OK and the type 53 relay (easily sourced from say VAG) to alter the rear wiper from 3 to 1 sweeps.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:05 AM
911PERVY
Banned

Received 223 Likes on 183 Posts

So, in no particular order;

Suspension change
RS engine mounts
Short shift kit
Wishbone bushes
RS uprights & track rods
Front protection bar
996 steering wheel
Front strut brace
Lightweight clutch & flywheel
Big ovals
Rear wiper relay change (1 sweep not 3)
Turbo S brake ducts
Front wiper arm flip
Fister stage muffler
Xenon light kit
Del light in the dash
Spoiler (I like the Whale Tail)
18 inch wheels
Garage door opener
Cooling fan colour change
Body kit of choice (I know the whale tail got a mention but I think a 993 deserves a whole body kit)
Oil cooler fan over ride switch
Shift boot for the tiptronic shifter
Remove the rear seats, carpets, door panels and all padding (radio too?).
Replace interior with RS carpet, RS door panels & bucket seats.
Lighter forged wheels - BBS if you can find the one piece light ones or Ray's, OZ
Run with no spare and a repair kit like late Porsche cars do
RS battery
Single belt drive for alternator.
Remove engine compartment heater fan.
Delete cruise control
LED lights all around inside and out.
Turbo spoiler grill straightening
Front truck carpet pocket straightening
Cup holder replace cassette holder
Old 12-05-2013, 12:10 PM
boomboom
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

In no particular order, but already done on my car:
1) Suspension
2) Light Flywheel, better clutch, slave and hose
3) Upgrade the ECU
4) Fabspeed X-pipe with 200 cell cats
5) Fister II (still need to add these to mine)
6) Make your own Motor Sound by drilling the box
7) Sound proof doors and upgrade sound system
8) SAI items. Check Valve, hoses, O2 sensors.

Your car will be lighter, run better, sound better without altering the car too much and reducing its value.
Old 12-05-2013, 12:28 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 512 Likes on 188 Posts

1) GT2 Conversion.
Old 12-05-2013, 12:40 PM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice car, I had one just like it three P cars back. You did not state whether you had a PPI done including a leakdown test prior to your purchase. If you did not, that would be the first thing I would have done. One of the mysteries of the 993 is valve guide life. Some cars go over 200,000 miles without pulling the heads, whiles others experience excessive valve guide wear at very low mileage. My 993tt turbo had one valve guide go bad (70% at leak down) at 24,000 miles. When I sold the NA car like yours at 55,000 miles the leakdown found all six over 98%. The mods I had done were Koni FSD's with ROW ride height springs, a complete rebuild of the shifter, replace speakers and changed the Blaupunkt 110 to an Alpine do everything radio, HID headlights. I wish I still had her...Cheers...Chris
Old 12-05-2013, 12:52 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Received 1,016 Likes on 380 Posts

These are my top 10 mods:

1. suspension: PSS10s or HDs, lowering springs, new bushings, strut bar
2. wheels and tires (dealer's choice)
3. Wevo engine mounts
4. refinished 996 3-spoke steering wheel
5. new sport seats, either 997 for OEM or Recaros. Stock comfort seats are lame.
6. Short shift kit
7. Fister mufflers + oval tips
8. HIDs
9. interior upgrades: suede panels, RS door panels, carpets, etc
10. exterior: spoilers, ducts, rockers, etc.

Quick Reply: Top 10 Mod's for new 993 owner