Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

993 GT2 EVO build thread "Winter project 2014"

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 11:07 AM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 172 Posts

Priceless! A mandatory picture for every engine drop. A memory to cherish.
Old 12-07-2013, 11:00 AM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 30 Posts

List of parts to get grows:

- Electrical power steering pump, 996 RSR or similar (no PS pump on the EVO engine)
- Turbo brake booster pump and master cylinder
- Motorsport ABS system
- Bigger brakes (Alcon?)
- 100 litre fuel cell + fuel pumps
Old 12-28-2013, 06:13 PM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Tear down continued today. I removed all the suspension bits.
Quite convenient when you can drop the whole assembly with just two bolts per side.
These will be put back together with Tarett links and hard bushings and of course the GT2 tilt kit.

Trunk full of aluminum stuff, heading to our "team" garage for disassembly and cleaning. What is the best method for cleaning up the oxidized aluminum parts? We could blast them but i think they will gather all crap after that...

I also disassembled the Motons. They will be sent to Netherlands for a complete overhaul. I am pondering if we should re-valve them for slick use or just normal overhaul and put them on the shelf for my future IROC project and just get the proper 4-way adjustable racing shocks.
I am leaning towards the latter...

Also pondering about the brakes...the turbo/RS/GT2 all have electrical booster. The NA has a vacuum booster. The brakes work well so why change? I suppose the motorsport ABS system is the way to go but I'll probably wait until a secondhand kit shows up.

I also have plans for the sunroof, I will most likely buy a CF roof and cut around the perimeters of the roof, leaving the rain gutters and the window frames intact. Then just glue the CF on top of it.
And I really also need to get the EVO CF doors and lexan windows to get the weight down...
Old 12-28-2013, 06:34 PM
ToSi
Burning Brakes

Received 82 Likes on 51 Posts

Blast the arms & side panels w/ glass bead media, wipe w/ WD40 or similar, & let sit while you work on other stuff. They'll start out looking snowy white, then age to a nice grey & look like NOS parts.

re: Moton's, if you don't mind, looking for a few dimensions - what's the distance from top mounting bolt to the top of the front strut body? how long is the shaft, from top of shock body to the strut mount? how long are the rear shock bodies? Thanks!

Last edited by ToSi; 12-29-2013 at 08:55 AM. Reason: oops, corrected abrasive type..
Old 12-29-2013, 05:16 PM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ToSi
Blast the arms & side panels w/ glass bead media, wipe w/ WD40 or similar, & let sit while you work on other stuff. They'll start out looking snowy white, then age to a nice grey & look like NOS parts.

re: Moton's, if you don't mind, looking for a few dimensions - what's the distance from top mounting bolt to the top of the front strut body? how long is the shaft, from top of shock body to the strut mount? how long are the rear shock bodies? Thanks!
If I blast the parts, won't they be left with a very porous surface, which will literally suck dirt into it? Or will the surface close if I let them sit for a while?

I can take the Moton measurements for you tomorrow.
Old 12-29-2013, 05:27 PM
lopro
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it will clean the alum an leave it much like new oem pieces.

Great progress. this is moving along very smoothly.
Great work
Old 12-29-2013, 05:33 PM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Thanks!

Today I dismantled the rest of the suspension bits. The bushings were a bit of work and the ball joints were sitting quite hard too. Some of the sleeves came out with the joints but of course I just tapped them back into the holes.

Doing this on the floor is a walk in the park, just take a bit of time. But my hats off to those who replace all of these on the car...

This pile must be cleaned up:

Old 01-04-2014, 01:23 PM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

I am so busy at work right now I have to outsource my hobbies, so I had a friend put back together my VR engine. All the parts that I removed for the SC install have been sitting in boxes in my garage. I wanted to make sure I don't loose anything so I gave my friend a paper copy of the parts catalog and asked him to follow it exactly to rebuild the engine and auxiliaries.
There, it's done now! Colin, this has your name written on it!! Once I find that chassis for the IROC project, I will be sending this to UK to 9meister.

Then tonight I removed the engine and the gearbox out of the way:

And we have space again. A little bit of cleaning and then I will move the EVO engine next to the car so I can figure out all the plumbing, wiring etc.
I'm so glad I built my garage big enough to allow for moving this kind of stuff around:

Old 01-04-2014, 01:28 PM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

I have also been looking at fuell cells. And I think I'm going with this Fuelsafe 27 gallon one.
It has dual scavenge pumps, primary and reserve collectors all build in, as well as the level sensor. There are also mounts for the fuel pumps on the front, I will put in two Bosch 044 Porsche motorsport spec pumps.
It comes with two drybreaks but I have asked if I could have instead just one drybreak and a traditional filling cap.

I also bought some used motorsport stuff from another rennlister. They are a bit beat up, as you would expect from used racing parts. But I have to say it was well reflected in the price. :

Old 01-04-2014, 06:01 PM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

I tried but I couldn't just sit on the sofa and watch that damn TV so once the lil' girl was sleeping, I went back to the garage and cleaned it up.
Couldn't resist moving both engines so there it is now...so close, yet so far:

Old 01-04-2014, 06:39 PM
Washabi
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 55 Posts

absolutely stunning Juha!~
Old 01-05-2014, 01:52 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Awesome stuff Jussi! Things are moving along good...
Old 01-05-2014, 05:33 PM
lopro
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pics in post 37 & 40 don't work for me
Old 01-05-2014, 05:39 PM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lopro
pics in post 37 & 40 don't work for me
I think my service provider is having some difficulties.

Try this link: http://m3supercar.1g.fi/kuvat/993/GT2+EVO+MOTORSPORT/
Old 01-06-2014, 06:04 PM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ToSi

Here you go:

The camera lens distorts the perspective. The end of the measuring tape is exactly in the middle of the lower bolt hole in the front shock and in the middle of the uniball eye on the lower shock.
On the strut top the measure is correct.

(you can download a bigger photo from here: http://m3supercar.1g.fi/kuvat/993/GT...T/IMG_9696.JPG )

Quick Reply: 993 GT2 EVO build thread "Winter project 2014"