993 Forum 1995-1998

Recommendation for body shop in Metro Detroit

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 02:07 PM
993KT
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sunroof Delete and Cosmetic update

I'm looking for a place where they have experience with 993 or older 911's. I would like to do sun roof delete, wind shield replacement, bumperette delete, etc. Autometric does great work for collision repair, but they don't want to take on this project. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by 993KT; 11-22-2013 at 03:50 PM.
Old 11-11-2013, 04:51 PM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 552 Likes on 243 Posts

You may want to try calling Howard Gilson (Gilson Motorsports) to ask his opinion - he shares a shop with Neil Goldberg, who is one of the top 356 restoration experts. I'm sure that between them, they could provide a good recommendation.

I used to have all of my work done by Mike Hoffmeister when he was at Motorwerks, though he left about 6 months ago.
Old 11-11-2013, 05:05 PM
secretcollector
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I would also call David Laing at RUF, 248-304-9081. Not only can he steer you in the right direction, but you may want to engage him to oversee the project - there is nobody more qualified.
Old 11-11-2013, 06:38 PM
ToSi
Burning Brakes

Received 82 Likes on 51 Posts

Sports Car Collision (http://www.sportscarcollision.com/) was recommended to me when I was looking for a longhood project.. bought the 993 instead so no direct experience with them yet, was going to inquire about same items as you next year.
Old 11-19-2013, 03:58 PM
993KT
Racer

Thanks Tom! I just went over to sportscarcollision. Really nice guys over there. Small local shop with three older 911's they are restoring. Seems like the right place to be. I'm dropping off my car there next week before the snow hits. They probably won't start on it for a while, which is fine by me. Maybe I'll use this space to keep a log of my experience.
Old 11-22-2013, 04:04 PM
993KT
Racer

Sunroof delete panel from Fenn Lane. Perforated black leather headliner ordered from Classic9. Glass need to come out for the headliner. My windshield is pitted pretty badly, so maybe my insurance will get me a new piece.

Trying to figure out what to do with the visor. Thinking about taking out the mirror and cutting it smaller, then cover it in black leather also. Either that or try to find the RS version. Anyone has the part number for that?

While the car is at the shop, they will delete the bumperettes and headlight washer also.
Attached Images  
Old 10-16-2014, 01:27 PM
993KT
Racer

Not happy at all with the paint job. To list just a few thing: the roof is just a tiny bit uneven, filler is all bleeding through the paint, paint drips everywhere, overspray in the wheel arch, a lot of swirls even on the newly painted parts, a few new paint chips, dirt in paint, a couple spots was not polished, a lot of the interior trims were not re-installed correctly, the car was filthy when I received it. I now need to get almost every panel sanded, resprayed, and polished again.

They are really nice guys and had been in the business for a long time, so I don't know what went wrong. It's mostly a track car, so I'm not looking for a show car finish restoration. It still sucks that the car looks worse than before it went to the shop. Hope I have better luck with the guys who are fixing it now.
Old 10-16-2014, 02:03 PM
jstyer
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry to hear this... That's so frustrating. What did the shop have to say about your disappointments/concerns?
Old 10-16-2014, 02:57 PM
993KT
Racer

They offered to fix those issues, but I've moved so that's not possible. In the end they refunded me for the painting part. I think that's fair, but it still costs me more to have all that redone, and have the car in the shop again for weeks.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:44 PM
makemann
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sorry to read about the OPs problem, but the question is still unanswered. I parked in the most isolated space at the Northville Home Depot with no cars or carts in sight and one magnetically found my driver door. I'm sick about it.

Looking for a local wizard to make it better. Any suggestions?

Old 10-21-2014, 09:52 AM
LimeyBoy
Rennlist Member

Received 205 Likes on 122 Posts

I have heard good things about these guys from Pcar people (Tim Pott Rennstatt) and whenever I drive past they have upmarket / project cars undergoing work.
However, my experience is limited - I went to see about having a parking scratch fixed and the respray was going to be $$ so they mixed me up a bottle of touchup, filled the scratch there and then (a good 6 foot job) - and charged nothing. I was happy.
May be worth your further investigation.

Stony Creek Collision:
8950 Stony Creek Rd Ypsilanti, 48197 US
Old 10-21-2014, 10:04 AM
makemann
Racer

Originally Posted by LimeyBoy
I have heard good things about these guys from Pcar people (Tim Pott Rennstatt) and whenever I drive past they have upmarket / project cars undergoing work. However, my experience is limited - I went to see about having a parking scratch fixed and the respray was going to be $$ so they mixed me up a bottle of touchup, filled the scratch there and then (a good 6 foot job) - and charged nothing. I was happy. May be worth your further investigation. Stony Creek Collision: 8950 Stony Creek Rd Ypsilanti, 48197 US
Thanks for the tip. I did some research and found that Autometric Collision is a Porsche Approved Collision Center. Their Pontiac location specializes in Pcars and other German makes. Going to check them out later in the week. Has anyone had work done there?
Old 10-21-2014, 03:47 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,017 Posts

Gee, I know Chrysler imports cars from Detroit as they say it in their advertisements.
My question is this. Is a 993 originally purchased in Detroit ROW or USA spec'd car.
Not sure about repair shops in other countries.

Andy :-)
Old 10-25-2014, 11:47 AM
ToSi
Burning Brakes

Received 82 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by 993KT
Not happy at all with the paint job. To list just a few thing: the roof is just a tiny bit uneven, filler is all bleeding through the paint, paint drips everywhere, overspray in the wheel arch, a lot of swirls even on the newly painted parts, a few new paint chips, dirt in paint, a couple spots was not polished, a lot of the interior trims were not re-installed correctly, the car was filthy when I received it. I now need to get almost every panel sanded, resprayed, and polished again.

They are really nice guys and had been in the business for a long time, so I don't know what went wrong. It's mostly a track car, so I'm not looking for a show car finish restoration. It still sucks that the car looks worse than before it went to the shop. Hope I have better luck with the guys who are fixing it now.
Bummer, sorry to hear things didn't work out.

Originally Posted by makemann
Sorry to read about the OPs problem, but the question is still unanswered. I parked in the most isolated space at the Northville Home Depot with no cars or carts in sight and one magnetically found my driver door. I'm sick about it.

Looking for a local wizard to make it better. Any suggestions?

yikes, was it a windy day or do you think it was intentional? Was just there the other day, noticed the lot has quite a change in height - going to stick to the higher / west half from now.
Old 10-25-2014, 01:00 PM
makemann
Racer

Originally Posted by ToSi
Bummer, sorry to hear things didn't work out. yikes, was it a windy day or do you think it was intentional? Was just there the other day, noticed the lot has quite a change in height - going to stick to the higher / west half from now.
I hate to think that someone would do it intentionally, but it sure seemed like it. I checked before parking and there were no cars, trucks or carts within five parking spots of me. Had an incident report written up with the manager and a police report with the Township PD. They were both shaking their heads and very empathetic. The manager even said that he parks his car on the far southeast corner, because his got hit.

My insurance is covering the whole repair, but it just grinds me that it happened.

Took it to two paintless dent repair guys, and they both said it was too deep to repair. So off to Autometric for their assessment.

Quick Reply: Recommendation for body shop in Metro Detroit