993 Forum 1995-1998

Drive cycle instructions worked like a champ

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 02:36 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Drive cycle instructions worked like a champ

FWIW, and this has been posted before; the following drive cycle instructions worked the very first time out of the box.

My first attempt was interupted by a closed southbound 405 fwy at 3 am last weekend...but this morning I went north and was rewarded with an "All monitors cleared successfully" on my OBDII reader.

With all monitors reset, I am ready for the CA DMV "Star Station Smog" treatment.

I'm gonna get the cat good and toasty, prior to test...We shall soon see

My personal thanks to Kika for his personal OBDII help and guidance...The 5/32 spring fit like a glove in the collapsed Varioram rubber manifold. Thanks Kika!

Porsche 993 cycle
Remember:
The diagnostic checks above will be discontinued if:

1) Engine speeds exceed 3000 RPM
2) Large fluctuations in throttle position
3) Road speeds exceed 60 MPH

1) Start cold engine and idle for approximately 2 minutes, 10 seconds. This checks secondary air injection and evaporative leak detection systems.
2) Accelerate to 20-30 MPH and maintain steady speed for 3 minutes, 15 seconds. This establishes closed loop oxy-sensor operations, response times & switching times.
3) Accelerate to 40-60 MPH and maintain steady speed for 15-20 minutes. This evaluates catalytic converters while oxy-sensor response and switching times are checked.
4) De-accelerate and come to a stop. Idle for 5-6 minutes. This checks evaporative leak detection system.

Last edited by nine9six; 10-20-2013 at 06:48 PM.

Quick Reply: Drive cycle instructions worked like a champ