Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

It's good to be the king...

Old 10-05-2013, 10:31 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Received 1,003 Likes on 377 Posts
Default It's good to be the king...

I was planning on creating another thread for a belated intro and build thread, but instead I thought I would just use this thread. This is my first 993, but third air-cooled 911. The first was a 1994 C4 widebody and second was a 1980 SC widebody. Now that I am getting older, I wanted a more refined ride but still stay within the air-cooled family. About two months ago, I purchased my car from Luxury Motorcars in Sacramento. I had an awesome buying experience and would highly recommend working with Colby and his team for anyone looking to buy from them. Class acts all around. At the time, the car had 105K miles and came with the following modifications: Fabspeed exhaust and oval tips, turbo front bumper, strut bar, HIDs, a whole mess of aluminum interior trim, a high-end stereo system with two amps and honking subwoofer taking up half of the passenger foot area, and an RS LWF. After sealing the deal by phone with Colby, I flew into Sacramento to pick up the car (seamless and smooth transaction, BTW), and then I immediately drove to Monterey and participated in a couple days of Pebble Beach Car week with a few local Porsche guys. My friend Mauricio drove all the way from Seattle in his 964 and we both drove back on the Saturday before the Concours. It was the second year in a row we went down and we plan on making it a 3rd, this time bringing our SOs. We had a blast and look forward to next year's events.

My car looked this this when I picked her up:

It was a good platform to build from. Since ownership, I've installed a duck tail spoiler, and put some new thrones in the 993, so to speak, adding a pair of 997 Sport Seats. Wow, what a noticeable difference in feel and looks over the stock comfort seats. Interestingly, the 997 seats weigh about the same as the 993 seats, despite being manual adjust fore/aft and electric for the back. Slippery slope just got steeper because now with black instead of cashmere seats, I am gonna have to swap out the interior to black at some point. The Porsche Universe demands it (so I tell my wife). Future plans are to install a coilover suspension and drop it about another inch. I've also purchased and installed a set of 18" BBS LMs, 996 3-spoke steering wheel, and done some other interior mods seen later in this thread. I just need to snap some pics with the new wheels (coming soon). I'm having a great time with the car: driving and modding. It is my daily and I look forward to many thousands more miles to come. Thank you to everyone on RL for the info, camaraderie, and daily entertainment.

Jim

Last edited by Busta Rib; 10-24-2013 at 01:35 AM.
Old 10-05-2013, 10:44 PM
cmd4
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good! Like the contrast against the cashmere .... Only thing that'd top it off is a cowbell hanging from the rear view mirror
Old 10-05-2013, 10:49 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 228 Posts

Does the passenger-side seat touch the headliner?

Andreas
Old 10-05-2013, 10:51 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 444 Likes on 269 Posts

Looks nice! Do you sit up higher?
Old 10-05-2013, 10:56 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AOW162435
Does the passenger-side seat touch the headliner?

Andreas
Currently the passenger side is touching the headliner, but only because I have it jacked up to the highest setting. My wife is 5'3" and doesn't like the feeling of being in a bath tub. It could easily go down a couple inches.

Originally Posted by P-daddy
Looks nice! Do you sit up higher?
No, I sit at the same height as before. The seat can be raised and lowered with the long lever on the side of the seat. I think these are great alternatives to the stock 993 sport seats and are a lot less expensive. I think they feel a lot better too.
Old 10-05-2013, 11:02 PM
shellback
Advanced

also thinking on going the same path but concerned on how difficult it would be to swap out the carpet.
Thanks for sharing!
Old 10-05-2013, 11:14 PM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Those look great. Usually the control lever seems out of place in a 993, to my eye, but the center console accent and shifter in your car take care of that.

I saw you post about the Sportsters awhile back, and I've been thinking about them ever since. Why did you decide on the 997's instead?

Love the "clean duck" too, well done.
Old 10-05-2013, 11:41 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 503 Likes on 186 Posts

997 sport seats are great. Have them in my turbo. I like them better than the 993 hard backs in my Carrera.

Now find a pair of black rear seats to match them
Old 10-06-2013, 01:18 AM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mongrelcat
Those look great. Usually the control lever seems out of place in a 993, to my eye, but the center console accent and shifter in your car take care of that.

I saw you post about the Sportsters awhile back, and I've been thinking about them ever since. Why did you decide on the 997's instead?

Love the "clean duck" too, well done.
One pair of 997 seats is about the same price as one Sportster seat. I feel I'm getting 95% of a Recaro seat for half the price. Recaros are slightly more bolstered but the 997 are plenty supportive.
Old 10-06-2013, 01:32 AM
lopro
Banned

looks nice. really clean fresh new interior. Sharp
Damn what is it about white Carreras ohhh they get me going
enjoy sir
Old 10-06-2013, 11:59 AM
ginch
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 77 Posts

Those look great. Are they easy to install?
Old 10-06-2013, 01:54 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

other then looking a little tall, they look good and proper.
Old 10-06-2013, 02:28 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ginch
Those look great. Are they easy to install?
Mine were relatively easy because the PO had them installed in his 993 and they were already modified, including the wiring harnesses. They are not plug and play out of the box, but you can modify them relatively easily. Check out this link for info: https://rennlist.com/forums/10787273-post19.html

That said, it took me about 4 hours to install, including cleaning and conditioning the new seats. Biggest chunk of time was installing the 997 seats: aligning the rails, maneuvering the seats back and forth, etc. The space is limited and if you have big fingers, it is cumbersome.

Definitely have a wobble adapter and 6mm allen head driver on hand. Makes the job a lot easier. Start by bolting the front rails down and then slide the seat forward and do the rears. It's a pain to slide the seats back when they are not bolted down and keep both rails aligned properly. Stock 993 seats have two bolts in the rear per side. You need to drill some holes and make them bigger on the rear part of the 997 rails if you want to use two bolts per side.

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
other then looking a little tall, they look good and proper.
Yep, 997 seats backs are about 2-3 inches taller than the stock seats.
Old 10-06-2013, 02:31 PM
jago
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

nice!
Old 10-12-2013, 10:34 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

OK, the interior conversion advanced a couple steps today. I swapped out my rear folding seatbacks from cashmere to black. Also installed new Coco mats (black and silver). I had Coco mats in my SC and loved them. They look really nice and are very durable. Finally, I added some Mobil Pegasus stickers on my front bumper for an additional 5 hp gain.

I'm going to dye the rear seat cushions, quarter panels, and backrest pads black, along with swapping the parking brake handle, center console, and shift boot to black. Gonna hold off on carpeting for down the road. I hear removing carpeting is a beeyotch.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: It's good to be the king...