Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Cab Top Nightmare - Help!

Old 10-05-2013, 09:34 PM
cptcrnch
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cab Top Nightmare - Help!

Ok, the 'five minute fix' for my 95 cab top latch broken gear issue has turned into a 25 hr nightmare!
Summary.....
The right locking mech to my top would intermit. not work, which from this forum I found out to be a broken gear tooth. So I followed the forum insturctions and spun the gear around so that the broken portion wouldn't hit the cam and get stuck.....As I was putting the motor back together, the pot metal housing split!
Problem #1 - Where can I get a used replacement motor? (all the guts are good just the housing is split which holds the cam at the correct position to engage gear) I tried JB Weld but it split again when I tried putting it back together. Any other fixes?????

Now problem #2 - I closed the top (it was originally in the open position with the left motor connected. It closed fine.) Now that its closed, it won't open again.
Only the front locking motors turn on/off w/ the top control switch. Top won't budge.
Usually front locking motors would disengage and then the top would con't to open.
But its dead now.

I checked the fuse and its good.
Reading the forum it looks like it might have something to do w/ with
a. the micro control switch in the front locking mech motor (the one I just monkey'd with.....but I think this only controls the front tops locking mech)
b. One of the solder connections on the control boards - there seems to be two in question..... (one near the front drivers side above an air duct - from what I've read) or in the passenger rear side.
I'm hoping someone can point me in a direction so I don't go getting myself any further in the hole here.
Thoughts? thanks again for any help/direction you can offer.
Jr
Old 10-05-2013, 10:32 PM
cptcrnch
Intermediate

Default UPDATE! 1 Problem fixed!!

************UPDATE ***********
RL to the rescue again!
There was one small post about the emergency brake being pulled with the light on, but not pulled far enough to tell top to open.

So now I'm left w/ Problem #1 - broken motor housing.....any idea on where to get a used (under $1k motor? or how to repair the housing?
Attached is pix. cracked housing w/ Broken piece on top. - PIx #1.
2nd pix - shows the slight upward angle of the housing that holds the worm gear.
any help again is much appreciated!
Cheers!
Jr
Attached Images   
Old 10-06-2013, 12:26 AM
JJJMCD
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

see my response to your other thread
Old 10-06-2013, 08:54 AM
ble2011
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Nightmare is correct. Wow, had no idea the motors were that strong to cause that type of damage. I guess I'm lucky (so far), my top has worked fine since I purchased it. However, the left motor catch can move a little when I grab it when the top is down. I was going to open up the motor and flip the gear around to stop the looseness, but I'm reluctant to even mess with it after reading your post. Wish you luck.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:27 PM
cptcrnch
Intermediate

JJJMCD - thank you for your input.

ble2001- - If you do it, just be careful. It was probably my doings more than anything.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:38 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Seems like the dismantlers would be a good place to start.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:39 PM
cptcrnch
Intermediate

*****Update #2 **************
I'm back to my original problemS (plural).
The emergency brake 'fix' didn't last.
I'm back to:
1. dead /broken cab latch motor - housing cracked and inoperable. Found one on Vertexauto for $460 + core charge.
2. Top won't open. I hear a click when I push the 2 microswitches on the passenger side rear seat area, so I'm thinking they are operable. Anyone got any thoughts?
Could it be tied to cab latch motor.
I'm wondering if the cold solder joints on the board up front near drivers air vent is my issue.
Seems way weird this top issue started when that cab latch motor died.......
thx again for ANY input or direction.
JR
Old 10-07-2013, 12:51 PM
Rdelvalle
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts

It could be the motor control board near the drivers vent. I had that problem the top did nothing when activated. For that you need to remove the board and resolder the joints. I had to resolder a few particularly the ones that are for the connector pins. it works perfect now. Look for my postings I have a detailed way to remove the board and fix it.

I am at work otherwise I would have posted the link
Old 10-07-2013, 01:13 PM
Rdelvalle
Instructor

Rdelvalle Top Control Moule Removal Detailed Instructions

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 10-07-2013, 01:28 PM
Rdelvalle
Instructor

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...tructions.html
Old 10-07-2013, 05:17 PM
PDriver
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Deadlock of Top Latch Motor

Hi, NEVER close the cab Top, when one or both latch Motors are disconnected!!!! If you have done this...

There are thee options to open the cab top in this case:
1. Press the open button in center console and wait until the single attached latch motor releases. Then unscrew the both left and right hexagon nuts of the main gears in the B-pillar. Now move the cab top manually.

2. Use your defect broken gear and attach it only electrically to the wiring harness. Now you need a second person which will press the open button in the center console. You have to press the little microswitch in the broken gear when the other latch motor releases. Now the cab top will opened.

3. Same as 2. but with an jumper wire attached to the wiring harness. This jumper emulates the microswitch of the missing latch motor. On pressing the open button you have to close the circuit with the jumper to give the controller the signal, that the endpoint is reached.

Please keep in mind: the controller will only start to open the cab top, when BOTH latch motors signalized the reached endpoint. If you disconnect one, closing the cab top is no problem, but for opening it, it is mandantory....

PDriver

Last edited by PDriver; 10-07-2013 at 05:24 PM. Reason: Adding Infos

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cab Top Nightmare - Help!