Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Am I Crazy To Consider This DIY?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 01:03 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

You may have a bad seal causing the slip.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:39 AM
zooming993
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
You may have a bad seal causing the slip.
I was wondering if this could be the problem but wouldn't I see signs of a fluid leak like drops on the floor? Also, my clutch pedal is engaging high on the return stroke.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:51 AM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i love this thread.

Zooming, where are you located?
Old 09-20-2013, 10:44 AM
zooming993
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by EMBPilot
i love this thread.

Zooming, where are you located?

I live approx. one hour north of Philly in Slatington, PA.
Old 09-20-2013, 11:49 AM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
Do you have a lift, and have you done one without dropping the engine?
I which I have a lift. But even with the engine out, it is a bit tricky to get the clutch fork installed. I just don't see how a first timer can do it easily with the engine in the car.

I bet YOU can do it blind and with one hand tied to your back. Okay...if you're doing /w engine in car, then you're doing it half blind anyway.
Old 09-20-2013, 11:50 AM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 242 Likes on 171 Posts

Old 09-20-2013, 11:53 AM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Then by all means, drop the engine, replace the clutch + suspension over the winter. There are TONS of writeups and pics of the engine dropping process. And you can easily get help from this forum if you run into any problem.

Besides, there maybe seals, wires, etc that need to be replaced while you have the engine out.

AND you will have the obligatory head in the engine comparment picture taken as a badge of your 911 ownership.

Originally Posted by zooming993
First off, thanks for all the replies. As I suspected there are those who think I should drop the engine and others that don't think it's necessary. One thing I didn't mention in my earlier post was, I'm also planning on replacing the shocks (HD) and springs (H&R) in the near future. Replacing the suspension was going to be my winter project but now the clutch replacement is the priority. Now to answer some of your questions:

As for having to replace the clutch at 40K? I was surprised also but it's slipping and it's getting progressively worse the more I drive it. It's gotten to the point I can't get on it without it slipping.

As for my DIY experience I've done my share of DIY's on other cars I own but I have to admit I've never replaced a clutch. I have removed and replaced the motor (396 BB) and transmission (Turbo 400) in my 70 El Camino. As long as I have a good instructional book, article, manual or forum to fall back on, I'm usually ok taking on new DIY's.
Old 09-20-2013, 01:28 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by AOW162435
nsully and I removed & reinstalled his 993 transmission with the car on jack stands. No need to drop the motor unless other items need attention.

Andreas
^^ These are the guys to talk to.
Old 09-20-2013, 03:56 PM
MDamen
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same concerns two years ago when I needed a clutch. It sounds intimidating when you read other's write ups, but it acutally is very straight forward, but time consuming. If you have the time and the tools, I recommend you drop the engine and transmission and then spend the extra time and a few dollars to clean things up and replace other seals that are difficult to get to like the cam chain covers, valve covers, power steering belt, spark plugs, etc. I would also recommend replacing the oil pressure sender. I now have to replace mine and it would have been so easy with the engine out.
Old 09-29-2014, 02:42 PM
nickdee62
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I just R&R my RMS and IMSB. With a lift the job is very straight forward. Its a great way to get to know your car.

I would never have done the job on jack stands. It could be done, but not by me
Old 09-29-2014, 02:44 PM
jhg41977
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Imsb?
Old 09-29-2014, 04:06 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,017 Posts

While your transmission is out it maybe a good time to replace the power steering pump belt and inspect the wires going to the smog pump for heat deterioration. I see others suggest engine out. My gut tells me that for a new to this type of DYI don't take the engine out as you must disturb all sorts of additional stuff unrelated to the work at hand. I tend to not want to disturb stuff I don't have to on a car as old as a 993.
Old 09-29-2014, 05:25 PM
jhg41977
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did the clutch and Rms with the engine in. I had help getting the transmission oit but putting it back was on my own. No lift at the time. I used an at jack to get it in place. Too three shots to get the clutch fork rod in. Yes that means I had the transmission in and out three times. Patience is your friend. Best way I came up with for the clutch fork rod a six inch or so piece of threaded rod and use that to guide the rod into place. Then the rubber plug, I believe an 8mm socket is what fit on the little nub, force it on so the plug is secure in the socket. Use a six inch extension amd you can easily guide that plug into place. Give it a tap so it stays put, then tip the socket and extension to one side and it will release the plug. Now for the retainer clip amd volt. Place the bolt in a short socket. If you have to, fold up some paper and jam it in the socket so the bolt head is just below the edge of the socket. Jam it in tight so it doesn't fall out. Then slide the retainer clip over the bolt. Now use some dental floss and tie a loop on one end. Place the loop over the bolt end so the clip cannot fall off. Hold the dental floss to keep the clip on, don't worry about it rotating yet. Use a six inch extension on the socket, hold the dental floss and guide that bolt into the hole. Screw it in a bit then when the clip is almost to the bushing, use a long screw driver or pick tool to rotate the clip into place. Finish tightening the bolt. Use scissors to cut off as much floss as possible.

I dropped the clip the first time. The second time I dropped the plug. The third time I got smart and thought about it for a minute before repeating past failures
Old 09-29-2014, 08:20 PM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Do the project yourself along with the help of nearby Rennlisters to assist. Be sure to take the ubiquitous "How many Rennisters does it take to change a clutch" photograph as well!!
Old 09-30-2014, 12:35 PM
Toga
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi zooming 993. Do not hesitate, go for it! I wrote the write up Mike pointed out ( tks Mike!) While doing the job. It was my first time with no lift. Rennlist was my "psychological support"! This forum is the best you can have. Go for it, and go in style, drop the engine with the tranny. You won't regret it. We'll help you with "while you're in there ". I changed my spark plugs cables, the power steering belt, changed the fly wheel for a light weight one... Take it easy, take lots of pics, mark the plugs and cable you disconnect with tapes on which you write numbers or letters, mark the alignment legs with a screw driver so when you'll put them back in place, you can make it close to what it was before bringing the car for alignment.
Make a thread everybody will follow with pleasure, and when you have a question: post itand we will help you.
Nothing is difficult, just take your time.
By the way my write up is for a 4s. It will be easier with your car.
You cannot imagine the satisfaction you'll get afterwards!

Quick Reply: Am I Crazy To Consider This DIY?