Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

just put a deposit on a 993 C4S

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 05:51 PM
FabianS
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That rust bubble doesn't look bad at all. I purchased my 993 last year and it had one at the front passenger side, and back passenger side. I had a local shop pull the glass and repair to the tune of $2700 canadian, and mine was much worse. Can't even tell it was done now.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:46 PM
cpdjfd107
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ryguy993
Hey Chris, Good luck with the PPI thursday! I assume since the dealership has serviced this car for 4 years plus they were upfront about the rust bubble, that you should't get any surprises from the PPI.

I was given the name of a local (Massachusetts) glass shop that did the work for a friends 911 and another buddies ferrari.

Ace Auto Glass
(617) 323-6554

They do all the work for Prime Porsche/Audi, Westwood MB, Ferrari/Maserati of New England, Herb Chambers Bentley, etc...

He said that he was even able to wait for the car (same day install) this place can probably fix the rust bubble and reinstall the glass for you. Might be worth a call, I was thinking of calling them to get a price on a new windshield for my C4S too.
Thanks Ryan. The dealer only told me about the rust in back after I asked about rust. Another rennlister did a quick rennfax for me and noticed some on front too. If I get the car ill def have to give that place a call.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:30 AM
dbrians
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should ask the PPI shop to remove the windshield trim (replacement is 993-541-925-00 for $41.24). Here's why: I have rust bubbles in the cowling along the windshield trim and I have the same concern as you: that water in the V-groove has eaten its way through the metal. Just met with Porsche's local windshield replacement guy...he's replaced many 993 windshields and has seen the damage that water in the V-groove can do. I removed my windshield trim and, lo and behold, my rust bubbles are not from the V-groove! My V-groove is free of rust. I have my original windshield...this is important b/c windshield removal is when the V-groove's paint & galvanizing gets compromised by clumsy use of a utility knife leading to V-groove rust. Windshield guy says that the leading edge of the windshield trim, over time, wears through the paint...creating a hairline cut that runs the full width of the car. For some reason this does not happen at the top of the windshield...just along the hood's cowling from side view mirror to side view mirror. The hairline cut is very narrow, very defined, and deep enough to to go all the way through the paint. You can actually feel how sharp and deep it is as you trace it with your fingernail. Bottom line..the rust bubbles will get repaired w/o the windshield being removed. At significant savings.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:34 AM
dbrians
Instructor

On my way to Porsche of Mpls to return the unneeded windshield gasket ($85) and will look closer at the rust bubbles...I might be able to lift up the trim enough to see if this car suffers from the same 'trim gouge' as mine. I'll take some pics and will let you know for sure if you are at SUV height or ROW. OP, you have my cell number from the emails we exchanged...call me if you like. Here's what rust bubbles from 'trim gouge' looks like:
Attached Images  
Old 09-11-2013, 11:55 AM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by dbrians
Windshield guy says that the leading edge of the windshield trim, over time, wears through the paint...creating a hairline cut that runs the full width of the car. For some reason this does not happen at the top of the windshield...just along the hood's cowling from side view mirror to side view mirror. The hairline cut is very narrow, very defined, and deep enough to to go all the way through the paint. You can actually feel how sharp and deep it is as you trace it with your fingernail. Bottom line..the rust bubbles will get repaired w/o the windshield being removed. At significant savings.
That's interesting. I've never heard that before. I know it might be hard to capture, but could you try to post up a pic of this cut?
Old 09-11-2013, 12:49 PM
cpdjfd107
Burning Brakes

On my way to Porsche of Mpls to return the unneeded windshield gasket ($85) and will look closer at the rust bubbles...I might be able to lift up the trim enough to see if this car suffers from the same 'trim gouge' as mine. I'll take some pics and will let you know for sure if you are at SUV height or ROW. OP, you have my cell number from the emails we exchanged...call me if you like. Here's what rust bubbles from 'trim gouge' looks like:
That'll be great if that was the case! Salesman also said the rust spot in front was very minor.
Old 09-12-2013, 01:16 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

One thought... If you were to replace the windshield under comprehensive claim, the cost of this repair would be significantly reduced for the front windshield. Under no circumstances am I advocating anything fishy, but I'd leave the front alone and drive the car. If you happen to have a windshield damaged at some point down the road you can do the front rust repair at that time. If not and the rust starts to increase in size, you can do it then.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:42 AM
cpdjfd107
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=nile13;10754952]One thought... If you were to replace the windshield under comprehensive claim, the cost of this repair would be significantly reduced for the front windshield. Under no circumstances am I advocating anything fishy, but I'd leave the front alone and drive the car. If you happen to have a windshield damaged at some point down the road you can do the front rust repair at that time. If not and the rust starts to increase in size, you can do it then.[/
]
Funny you mention that Mike. They noticed a star in the windshield so there is a possibility the owner can go through his insurance and I can get a new windshield but now this changes my rust situation. Do I have a reputable shop in MN do it or do I do it here locally? Hmmm..decisions..decisions
Old 09-12-2013, 01:02 PM
dbrians
Instructor

I took pics of the sanded rust spot - here they are. Every 993 owner could lift up the leading edge of the windshield trim...if it's original like mine it will be somewhat stiff but still manageable. You'll see a hairline dirt line; rub it away and test for a hairline groove. If it's like mine, you'll have no problem catching it with your fingernail. And once the trim rubs through the clear coat / paint / galvanizing, rust could rear its ugly head. Want to be preemptive? Do what I'm doing and remove / toss your old and stiff trim and replace it ($42) with a soft, new one. BTW, my car has 64,000 miles and it seems to me that it takes a lot of miles at highway speed for the trim to create the hairline groove, so I doubt the owners of low mileage cars would have a problem.
Attached Images      
Old 09-12-2013, 01:07 PM
dbrians
Instructor

Yes, that black line is the hairline gouges - very easy to catch your fingernail in it. And very easy to see that the rust is not connected to the window's V-channel. Once this project is finished, if it's quick and easy, I can see removing the new trim (soft & pliable) from the base of the window after every rain or car wash to let the V-channel dry out. If it's quick and easy...
Old 09-12-2013, 01:15 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 185 Posts

I remove the rear window gasket, quite often after washing...very easy to pull out...and pop back in and smooth.

Does the front glass actually have a channel similar to the rear on it? The tape covers the window edge, and I have no idea. I thought the front glass trim(rubber) was glued in?

I'll have to order up a gasket this winter, and give it a try.

Thankfully, I have no bubbles or rust anywhere around the glass.
Old 09-12-2013, 01:41 PM
jg291446
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If it's only a little star, the insurance may only repair it without replacing windshield.

[QUOTE=cpdjfd107;10755355]
Originally Posted by nile13
One thought... If you were to replace the windshield under comprehensive claim, the cost of this repair would be significantly reduced for the front windshield. Under no circumstances am I advocating anything fishy, but I'd leave the front alone and drive the car. If you happen to have a windshield damaged at some point down the road you can do the front rust repair at that time. If not and the rust starts to increase in size, you can do it then.[/
]
Funny you mention that Mike. They noticed a star in the windshield so there is a possibility the owner can go through his insurance and I can get a new windshield but now this changes my rust situation. Do I have a reputable shop in MN do it or do I do it here locally? Hmmm..decisions..decisions
Old 09-12-2013, 01:57 PM
dbrians
Instructor

Yes, the front glass has a retaining channel just like the rear - it's a plastic piece that's permanently adhered to the glass - and it's the 'receiver' for the trim piece. In these pics, it is covered by the heavy black tape - all you can see is a portion of the V-channel. Here's what the V-channel looks like with the glass removed (credit goes to another Renn Lister..)
Attached Images  
Old 09-12-2013, 02:01 PM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

I took pics of the sanded rust spot - here they are. Every 993 owner could lift up the leading edge of the windshield trim...if it's original like mine it will be somewhat stiff but still manageable. You'll see a hairline dirt line; rub it away and test for a hairline groove. If it's like mine, you'll have no problem catching it with your fingernail.
dbrians, thank you for posting up a pic. I went out to my car, and I have no rust anywhere that I can see, but what do you know, I have 'the groove' forming on the leading edge. It is very hard to see on a dark car (mine is midnight blue) unless you are looking for it. Mine is not as bad as yours was, but I can see it and feel it. Thank you so much for posting this up. I am going to order a new trim piece for the windshield and am going to think about how to protect that line from getting worse. Any ideas? A coat of wax will be a good start. Again, thank you for posting this, I would never have noticed this on my car until it was too late.
Old 09-12-2013, 02:39 PM
cpdjfd107
Burning Brakes

Well half way through the PPI and he noticed that the clutch needs replacing, there are leaks from the front differential, also some leaks in the rear I forgot where he said, the chain something, the tires are cupped, the rotors are 45%, we know about the rust front and back, plus needs a new windshield. Plus other things it needs. Obviously the Porsche dealer didn't expect this so we will see if the owner reflects it in his price to cover some or all of these things. When I get the full PPI report I will post it here. I skipped the leakdown and compression because Joe Jepessen (the PPI place) recommended that he found enough stuff so far to warrant going back to the dealer. We will see how this plays out.

Last edited by cpdjfd107; 09-12-2013 at 02:40 PM. Reason: spelling

Quick Reply: just put a deposit on a 993 C4S