993 Forum 1995-1998

just put a deposit on a 993 C4S

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 10:20 AM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

I vaguely recall the name Jeppesen Imports from the s-cars.org days when living in Minn.. .. It was/is a 1st class shop facility out on Quattro Drive in Chanhassen, MN (I lived in Minnie while wife was on a United Health Care project) Quattro Drive is a purposely built building which housed several independent Audi/others tuning shops. How's that for some vague background. Our rare MY96 Audi UrS6 wagon had plenty of enhancement work there, mostly brake/suspension and RS2 engine work. No body work.

Let me ask around for ya... The local PCA Club folks must know the current Go-To tech's in the area.

PS., Edit. Just now posted over on PCA.org requesting Tech/PPI recommendations, we'll see.

PSS. Edit: http://www.andersonmotorsport.com is the tuning shop which worked on our S6 in Minn. Their worth a phone call as their direct neighbors are Porsche tuning shops, expertise etc. Ask around as many of their Audi clients are Porsche owners, car collectors, etc.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:24 AM
cpdjfd107
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by M. Schneider
I vaguely recall the name Jeppesen Imports from the s-cars.org days when living in Minn.. .. It was/is a 1st class shop facility out on Quattro Drive in Chanhassen, MN (I lived in Minnie while wife was on a United Health Care project) Quattro Drive is a purposely built building which housed several independent Audi/others tuning shops. How's that for some vague background. My rare MY96 Audi UrS6 wagon had plenty of work there, mostly brake/suspension and RS2 engine work. No body work.

Let me ask around for ya... The local PCA Club folks must know the current Go-To tech's in the area.

PS., Edit. Just now posted over on PCA.org requesting Tech/PPI recommendations, we'll see.

PSS. Edit: http://www.andersonmotorsport.com is the tuning shop which worked on our S6 in Minn. Their worth a phone call as their direct neighbors are Porsche tuning shops, expertise etc. Ask around as many of their Audi clients are Porsche owners, car collectors, etc.
Thanks I appreciate the help. Jeppesen imports has a good reputation from a few threads I saw here on Rennlist. I will look into the others as well. Thanks again
Old 09-06-2013, 12:00 PM
cpdjfd107
Burning Brakes

Well the PPI is booked with Joe Jeppesen. The shop is still on Quattro drive and he seemed like a very nice guy who didn't rush me off the phone and seemed very willing to to talk and seemed very willing to perform a very thorough PPI for me.
Old 09-06-2013, 12:19 PM
six gun
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CT944
Take the 3 hour flight and see it in person.
+ 993
Old 09-06-2013, 01:27 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Chris - way to go. With this slight tack,,, its change in course will pay dividends.

Good luck.

Originally Posted by cpdjfd107
Well the PPI is booked with Joe Jeppesen. The shop is still on Quattro drive and he seemed like a very nice guy who didn't rush me off the phone and seemed very willing to to talk and seemed very willing to perform a very thorough PPI for me.
Old 09-06-2013, 02:08 PM
cpdjfd107
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by M. Schneider
Chris - way to go. With this slight tack,,, its change in course will pay dividends.

Good luck.
It may and it may not. The only will it will pay off is by helping me not purchase a car that needs a lot of work. If the PPI shows stuff that I don't like, I walk away, the dealer said they are not going down on price 43.5k is their bottom line. I think they are consigning it from the PO. That is what it seams like from their tactics. They had to ask the PO that I wanted to split the cost of the rust repair estimate. Well, I hope the car is nice, but if the PPI shows needed items and they won't work with me on the price, I walk away. There are other cars out there. I'd prefer a black interior anyways.
Old 09-07-2013, 11:34 AM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Chris -
If you think this is a consignment inventory at the Porsche dealership...then ask to speak with the actual owner directly once the PPI reveals the present day condition .. Don't bid against yourself.

Listen, the owner and or selling agent wants to sell the car - you're a buyer. The actual condition of the vehicle IS relevant ..... no matter what. Remember, the dealership doesn't make a dime until the transaction is completed or cleared. Additionally the dealership wants to sell the car more than you want to buy it. Don't bid against yourself....

Let's face it these sport cars are expensive and 12, 13, 14, 15 years old... So, if several hundred is spent kissing a frog or two.. what has this small amount added to your buying budget? ?

Not buying a 993 example which has thousands $$,$$$ of unfunded repair needs, is worth the PPI effort.... and cost.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:49 AM
dbrians
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm a little late to the party but Porsche of Mpls is my local dealer - I'm going to drive by this am and see if the car is still on the lot. The local indy for PPI on Porsches and other German imports is http://www.imolamotorsports.com/_root/. I am dealing with rust along the bottom of my windshield right now and have an appt to get it fixed tomorrow am.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:06 PM
cpdjfd107
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dbrians
I'm a little late to the party but Porsche of Mpls is my local dealer - I'm going to drive by this am and see if the car is still on the lot. The local indy for PPI on Porsches and other German imports is http://www.imolamotorsports.com/_root/. I am dealing with rust along the bottom of my windshield right now and have an appt to get it fixed tomorrow am.
Dbrians when you go to the dealer give me a call at 401 837 8852 or email me ay cpdjfd@yahoo.com or just pm me here I'd like to hear your opinion on the car and see what kind of condition, suspension it has, etc if you do in fact see it. thanks!

Chris
Old 09-09-2013, 12:46 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 237 Posts

Chris,

It appears that it is sitting at the stock (SUV) ride height to me. I looked at all the exterior photos at the website.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:57 PM
dbrians
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just saw the car for a few minutes this morning - I was in a bit of a rush - and it does have a 'Sold' sign on the rearview mirror. Sold to you? There is one small rust blister below the front windshield and another on below the rear windowd...in both cases it is a small blister. Both windows will have to be removed, rust repaired, and windows reset. I'm doing this tomorrow for my front windshield and don't know what to expect about cost. On the plus side, the car looks great and is obviously well cared for. Paint is all original. I talked to my salesman (not your guy) and learned that they have been servicing it for 4+ years - so they know this car. 60k service was done at Porsche. It's a beautiful car and is on consignment - I was told that the car's ownership will be transferred to Porsche then to you...so they have to stand behind it and would not have the car on the lot if they didn't trust it mechanically. I'd purchase this car after they reduced the price for cost of the rust repair..you have all the leverage and the owner will have to drop his asking price accordingly.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:09 PM
cpdjfd107
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dbrians
Just saw the car for a few minutes this morning - I was in a bit of a rush - and it does have a 'Sold' sign on the rearview mirror. Sold to you? There is one small rust blister below the front windshield and another on below the rear windowd...in both cases it is a small blister. Both windows will have to be removed, rust repaired, and windows reset. I'm doing this tomorrow for my front windshield and don't know what to expect about cost. On the plus side, the car looks great and is obviously well cared for. Paint is all original. I talked to my salesman (not your guy) and learned that they have been servicing it for 4+ years - so they know this car. 60k service was done at Porsche. It's a beautiful car and is on consignment - I was told that the car's ownership will be transferred to Porsche then to you...so they have to stand behind it and would not have the car on the lot if they didn't trust it mechanically. I'd purchase this car after they reduced the price for cost of the rust repair..you have all the leverage and the owner will have to drop his asking price accordingly.
Dbrians, thanks for doing a quick rennfax for me! I sent you a pm. Im nervous about the rust....don't want to pass on a solid car though. Check your pm when u get a chance. Thanks
Old 09-10-2013, 02:01 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 972 Likes on 634 Posts

how is this PPI moving along?
Old 09-10-2013, 03:14 PM
cpdjfd107
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rsabeebe
how is this PPI moving along?
ppi scheduled for this Thursday. fingers crossed!
Old 09-10-2013, 05:40 PM
ryguy993
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Chris, Good luck with the PPI thursday! I assume since the dealership has serviced this car for 4 years plus they were upfront about the rust bubble, that you should't get any surprises from the PPI.

I was given the name of a local (Massachusetts) glass shop that did the work for a friends 911 and another buddies ferrari.

Ace Auto Glass
(617) 323-6554

They do all the work for Prime Porsche/Audi, Westwood MB, Ferrari/Maserati of New England, Herb Chambers Bentley, etc...

He said that he was even able to wait for the car (same day install) this place can probably fix the rust bubble and reinstall the glass for you. Might be worth a call, I was thinking of calling them to get a price on a new windshield for my C4S too.

Quick Reply: just put a deposit on a 993 C4S