Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

just put a deposit on a 993 C4S

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 12:24 PM
cpdjfd107
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Here pics of the rust, yes I know there may be more hiding somewhere else but this is the only part they noticed it. Let me know what you think.
Attached Images    
Old 09-05-2013, 12:35 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 183 Posts

both pics the same side of the rear glass? The second pic is just ugly, you can see slight bubbling under the paint running away from the corner at an angle.

Those rubbers, are so damn easy to pop out in the corners, wipe/blow the water out, and snap back in ...it's amazing that it's never been done.

When I got my car, one of the first things I did was completely clean that channel with Q-tips.

While that repair shouldn't be a deal breaker, I would suggest a detailed estimate for repair. Ask them to pop the gasket out on the complete lower half of the window, there is a track in the glass moulding that it should snap right back into. A wet towel can act as a guide.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:45 PM
cpdjfd107
Burning Brakes

Thanks for catching that Joe. I didn't even notice that on the left side. I'm not 100% sure if that is even bubbling though I originally thought it was just a reflection but now that I stare at it it just may be. I will have to get them to take a better picture of that. Thanks for noticing.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:54 PM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Magdaddy
both pics the same side of the rear glass? The second pic is just ugly, you can see slight bubbling under the paint running away from the corner at an angle.
Do you mean the 3rd pic? I see some strange refections to the left of the window seal that resemble a very poor repaint job. Looks pitted under the paint finish.
The line in the 2nd pic that runs off at an angle could be water residue.
I would really want to know whats going on over there and maybe have the dealership go around the car with a paint meter. Remember to have everything documented in writing. Don't become a victim like the poor guy on the 997 forum who was royally screwed by Beverly Hills Porsche. Experiences like that should be enough to point you towards an independent PPI.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:55 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 972 Likes on 634 Posts

The FJ40 market is just as crazy as the 993 market. I saw just the other day in a car mag that an FJ40 went for something like $74k at auction - obviously in perfect condition. You should get very solid money for your FJ.

As someone who is also in the market for a C4S/C2S, you were damn quick on that Arena C4S. A bit surprising they moved off the price nearly $5k from the BIN, but I guess part of that has to do with the rust issue. Nice negotiating.

Hope things work out for you.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:57 PM
cpdjfd107
Burning Brakes

The pic in question looks like that area may be a reflection of the side of the building but it does look like it has a lot of orange peel in it. Salesman stated orginal paint confirmed with paint meter. Obviously I will have an independent PPI done to confirm all of this, I just want to get an idea of the rust first if its a complete rust repair I am walking away.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:58 PM
cpdjfd107
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rsabeebe
The FJ40 market is just as crazy as the 993 market. I saw just the other day in a car mag that an FJ40 went for something like $74k at auction - obviously in perfect condition. You should get very solid money for your FJ.

As someone who is also in the market for a C4S/C2S, you were damn quick on that Arena C4S. A bit surprising they moved off the price nearly $5k from the BIN, but I guess part of that has to do with the rust issue. Nice negotiating.

Hope things work out for you.
Yeah I was quick, I went with the new Rennlist buying technique, buy right away and ask questions later, LOL
Old 09-05-2013, 01:50 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

One thing to do for sure on a Carrera 4 is to get it up on the lift, and have the mechanic spin the rear wheels by hand. The front wheels should move slowly, that will tell you that the viscous coupler is working and that the driveshaft from rear to the front wheels is okay. If the car has been spun or driven hard, it's possible to bust the coupler or even break the driveshaft. I had a snapped driveshaft on a 95 Carrera 4 that was not caught on the PPI, you couldn't tell by just driving the car, it just felt like any other rear wheel drive 911, which is the case when you drive a C4 in dry conditions anyway. That was a very expensive oversight. Word to the wise ...
Old 09-05-2013, 01:52 PM
cpdjfd107
Burning Brakes

The salesma went back outside and checked the rust again he stated it is contained to that specific area and that run off on the side is just water run off and reflection, not rust or bubbling paint. Lets see what the independent PPI has to say, has anyone ever heard of or used Flat Six Porsche repair/restorstion in Minneapolis?
http://www.flat6.com/
Old 09-05-2013, 09:43 PM
cpdjfd107
Burning Brakes

I had the salesman get me a quote from their body shop they sub out to and he gave me a quote of 1k to do a proper fix of the rust, thats removing the glass, all new seals, blending in the paint, rust proofing etc. Not a new window, hoping to not break that one and reuse it. I am not going to have them do it I'd wait to get it done when I (if) I get the car. Does 1k sound reasonable though, is that in the ballaprk? I got the dealer to pay half of it so they are deducting $500 off of the car. Next up is a PPI. Aaron Flat6.com is too busy, so he referred me to Joe Jeppesen at Jeppesen Imports, who apparently works on Rufs, and 911 race cars. Anyone have any direct experience with that shop?
Old 09-06-2013, 12:23 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

Chris, $1K sounds reasonable. But I would not have them do teh work. Take the money and do it locally where you can control the outcome to some degree and complain/allow the work to be redone later if issues come up.

I think it's fairly reasonable to get $500 credit.

PS. Working on race car is great. But I'd be weary of PPI by a race shop. They have a different set of priorities. I _truly_ don't care what my race car looks like, whether it has interior pieces still there and what loud noises it males.
Old 09-06-2013, 02:00 AM
Parman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I spend a lot of time on the Early 911S Registry site and Flat Six is highly recommended there for air cooled 911's. Good luck.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:09 AM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

Chris, my good man -

"of sorts" ?? What are you talking yourself into? There IS a straight up conflict of interest, in the seller inspecting this 993, a used car no less. Whoa,,, Of sorts? ,,,,, draw straight lines here.

Originally Posted by cpdjfd107
edit...
.. but I agree, there is a conflict of interest of sorts. ....edit..
Old 09-06-2013, 08:27 AM
CT944
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 110 Posts

Take the 3 hour flight and see it in person.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:51 AM
randytrish
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take the 3 hour flight and see it in person.

I agree. That would take all of the wondering out of the question. Coordinate it with independant PPI. No one local that can go by and take a look at it?
Good luck.

Quick Reply: just put a deposit on a 993 C4S