Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Odd lights issue...where to start looking?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 03:43 AM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by nile13
JPS, sorry for the delay, I was on the road for a few days.

Checked mine, the fogs (driving lights) do come back on when main lights are switched from high beams back to low beams. So my thought is that the relay could just be getting stuck? I'd see which relay feeds the driving lights and whack it a few times before trying the sequence again.
I have a 3 lb sledge, will that help?

Or you could ease the problem relay apart and check for any problematic cracked solder joints, and reflow them.

your choice.
Old 08-31-2013, 03:43 AM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by nile13
JPS, sorry for the delay, I was on the road for a few days.

Checked mine, the fogs (driving lights) do come back on when main lights are switched from high beams back to low beams. So my thought is that the relay could just be getting stuck? I'd see which relay feeds the driving lights and whack it a few times before trying the sequence again.
I have a 3 lb sledge, will that help?

Or you could ease the problem relay apart and check for any problematic cracked solder joints, and reflow them.

your choice. PLEASE DELETE DUPLICATE POST
Old 08-31-2013, 08:30 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

I'm just thinking of what could cause the relay to get stuck (not problem with that part) and then unstuck when the lights are turned off completely (that part puzzles me).

Have to fish out schematics and look at it. I have one somewhere.
Old 09-01-2013, 02:11 AM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I'll check the relay next week when I'm back at the car. Any thoughts on why it would get stuck I welcome...

Thx.
Old 09-01-2013, 03:50 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

Oh, that's easy. Same reason DME relays fail. They just do. Because it's a German relay likely made by VDO or some other incapable company. They just can't make electrical components, nor can they solder. I don't think any of us own these cars for their reliability
Old 11-09-2013, 02:21 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

So I finally got around to this. The fuse diagram shows 2 different relays for fog, perhaps one is US only or something. In any case I took the sunroof relay and sequentially tried switching out both of them. Still does it. Aftermarket Tequipment fogs as part of the front brake ducts.

Thoughts?
Old 11-10-2013, 01:51 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thoughts?
Old 04-06-2015, 12:26 AM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

So I swapped both relays (one at at time of course) for both the US and the presumably non-US, with the working one from the sunroof. Still turns off and stays off until I either replace the relay again, or turn the switch on and off.

Any thoughts?
Old 02-09-2016, 03:18 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Resurrecting this. I just lived with it for awhile and put it on my list of things to attend to. But I've had the car in the shop for unrelated issues and asked them to look at it.

They so far can't figure it out but said it might be the steering column switch. But it is $500 and no guarantee that it will work. So, PRETTY PLEASE OH RENNLIST GURUs...any thoughts?

To recap and clarify:

Techart fogs installed in turbo ducts. When I turn them on through dashboard switch, they correctly come on. When I turn on my high beams on the headlights, the fogs correctly go off. When I then turn the high beams off, the fogs INCORRECTLY stay off. If I turn off the switch and turn it back on (for the fogs), they come on and stay on until high beams, then off again.

I tried swapping the relay with the working sunroof relay.

The shop looked for a hidden second relay somewhere...didn't find one.

Any thoughts? Is the aforementioned switch something easily swappable? Perhaps I could borrow one from someone.

Thanks,
Old 02-09-2016, 07:49 PM
hoggel
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by JPS
Resurrecting this. I just lived with it for awhile and put it on my list of things to attend to. But I've had the car in the shop for unrelated issues and asked them to look at it.

They so far can't figure it out but said it might be the steering column switch. But it is $500 and no guarantee that it will work. So, PRETTY PLEASE OH RENNLIST GURUs...any thoughts?

To recap and clarify:

Techart fogs installed in turbo ducts. When I turn them on through dashboard switch, they correctly come on. When I turn on my high beams on the headlights, the fogs correctly go off. When I then turn the high beams off, the fogs INCORRECTLY stay off. If I turn off the switch and turn it back on (for the fogs), they come on and stay on until high beams, then off again.

I tried swapping the relay with the working sunroof relay.

The shop looked for a hidden second relay somewhere...didn't find one.

Any thoughts? Is the aforementioned switch something easily swappable? Perhaps I could borrow one from someone.

Thanks,
There are two foglight relays, R31 and R34.

R31 should be energized when the Foglight Switch and the Light Switches are on. I think if this relay was not working correctly on your car the fog lights would not come on.

R34 controls the fog lights depending on the position of the high/low beam switch. I can't tell from the fuzzy diagram I have in front of me if that relay is normally open or closed. But I can see that pin 7 of that relay should have 12v when the high beams are on. That should de-energize that relay and turn off the fog lights. When that is removed the relay should energize again and turn the fogs back on. It looks like the ground path for that relay is through the high beam bulbs. Have you modified your high beam bulbs?

Last edited by hoggel; 02-10-2016 at 12:26 PM.
Old 02-09-2016, 08:54 PM
TJ993
Banned

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

WISH I could add But just mentioning DRL
Canadians have to Modify and I guess or think add a Relay to legalize.
Daytime run Lights are Mandatory.

So point is depending on who or where the car was registered prior to your ownership, perhaps DRL was added? (Yes I read your mechanic did not see anything- But just saying)
TJ
Old 02-09-2016, 09:26 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yes. I have Tore's high beams.
Old 02-09-2016, 11:08 PM
hoggel
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JPS
Yes. I have Tore's high beams.
If your high beams are hid the ballast may not carry enough current to allow the relay to engage again after the high beams are switched off.

Try connecting a 12v incandescent test lamp between one of the high beam fuses and ground then see if the fogs work correctly.
Old 02-09-2016, 11:22 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

So what would be the fix?
Old 02-09-2016, 11:31 PM
hoggel
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JPS
So what would be the fix?
If the high beam bulbs are causing the problem you could go back to incandescent bulbs or you could add a pull down circuit to the relay.

Quick Reply: Odd lights issue...where to start looking?