993 Forum 1995-1998

Interesting article - 993 becoming collectables

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 08:00 AM
ble2011
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Interesting article - 993 becoming collectables

Don't know how much weight I put into this, but it was fun read anyway.
http://thesportscarguys.com/2013/06/...rsche-911-993/
Old 08-12-2013, 10:08 AM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Well, it's only one article but they will become more sought after with time.

What I hate is that as soon as a car becomes "collectible" they start disappearing off the roads and squirreled away in garages. Or, snapped up by collectors and unattainable by the guy with a regular income.

I hope 993s being collectible is many years away...
Old 08-12-2013, 10:27 AM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The inevitable has already long begun.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:35 AM
asofine
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by H.H.Chinn
The inevitable has already long begun.
Agreed. 993s regularly command 50-70% of their original sticker prices. These cars are already "collectible." A supply in the tens of thousands likely means that values will never suddenly skyrocket, but I fully expect these cars to hold their value or continue to appreciate moderately in the future.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:28 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

If that address ^^ no longer works for you, either, here's an updated link:
TheSportCarGuys' "10 Porsches To Buy Now, Before They Are Out Of Reach: Part 3 – Porsche 911 (993):"

This is part three of a ten part series about 10 Porsches that are currently within a reasonable budget, but that may become very valuable in the future. In part one we covered the Porsche 911 SC and then in part two we covered the Porsche 911 Carrera 3.2. This post will cover the Porsche 911 (993).

Below is the list of Porsche that will be covered in other posts. Please note that the order of the Porsches in the below list is the order that they will be covered, but not necessarily the order of what is more likely to become valuable.
  1. SC
  2. Carrera 3.2
  3. 993
  4. 964
  5. 912
  6. 914
  7. 928
  8. 968
  9. 944
  10. 924
Now we get to the 911 that generation that is perhaps the most desirable. The 993 variant of the German rear-engined sports car is that last of the “pure” Porsches. The 996 variant that followed it is cooled by water, instead of air as all but the front engine cars had been until this point.

Many people think it is better to have the last of something instead of the first of something. The earliest 911s are very sought after and can command a premium, but the last of the air-cooled cars offer a more usable and better performing package. Plus with a 993 you have the option of all-wheel drive if you want one that you can drive in slick conditions.

Performance in these cars is very good, even by modern standards. As with other 911 variants there are different performance models to consider, but expect a 0 to 60 mph time in the five second range for most cars in the range. So it is plenty fast to keep up with all but the fastest cars on the road today.

All of this has led to values of these cars going up in value. There have even been examples that have been sold for over $100,000, although those are still outliers. Where most sports cars from the mid-90′s (outside of exotics) would go for well under $20,000 for a good example, expect to pay around $40,000 for a good example. These cars do range in price and I’ve seen them sell recently anywhere from $25,000 all the way up to $60,000 (not including some of the crazy auction examples).

As with any Porsche it is very important that you buy a well maintained and documented car. If maintained correctly, these cars are almost indestructible.

With prices already on the rise, this is one variant that you may need to buy now before they start to really go up in value. If you buy a Porsche 911 (993), you will get the what is possibly the best air-cooled sports car that has been made. If you buy one you will have plenty of car to enjoy no matter what happens to the car’s value. So, if you want a 993 you probably better get it now, before it costs you a lot more.

Old 08-04-2014, 08:49 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Related "feel the LUV" 993 thread I haven't seen posted:

SpannerHead's "A Tribute to the Last Air-Cooled 911: The Porsche 993"

I’ve already written a bit about the 993 Turbo.

As nice as the new 991 sounds, my pick of 911s would still be the conveyance for the last of the air-cooled flat sixes: the 993 Turbo. Those hips, those bumps and curves… Who cares if it didn’t look quite as sleek as its rivals; something about the gestalt of the car, the convergence of shapes is seductive like nothing else. Especially in contrast to the later, bathtub-ish, plasticky 996, the 993 represents the last stand of the unaltered 911 greenhouse, with its upright windshield and closely-spaced wipers, and it retains the classic mechanical thrum of the air-cooled mill. Out of the continuous 48 years of production of the 911, the 6 years of the 993 stand out.

I think it’s time to shine a spotlight on the whole generation.

The last hurrah before the completely redesigned 996 took over in 1999, the ’93-’98 iteration of the classic Porsche 911, better known by its internal model code 993, was the final evolution of a basic platform that had served the Stuttgart automaker since the mid-’60s.

Equipped with a 3.6l version of Porsche’s legendary flat six M46 engine delivering 285 hp, the 993′s relatively low weight of around 3,100 lbs allowed it to scoot to 60 mph in the low 5 second range. The rear suspension was completely redesigned, incorporating a multilink system to give the car much more predictable handling behavior (especially when it came to lift-off oversteer) compared to its 911 predecessors. And the styling was smoothed and rounded, while still retaining the traditional 911 proportions and styling details.

Design-wise, it’s the little things about the 993 that captivate me. The classic 911 profile is present, that shape that shouldn’t look right, yet you can’t turn away from. The visual peak of the car is the top of the windshield, as opposed to the top of the roof in the 996 on, an element that defines the vintage 911. The front windows incorporate an extra pane, an anachronistic detail shared by no other car in the mid-’90s. And there’s something about the way the windshield wiper pivots are located in such proximity that just gets me. I can’t explain it. It’s perfect.

Of course Porsche can slap the “911″ nameplate on whatever they want, but as far as I’m concerned, the 993′s successor, the 996, really deserved a separate model number—it was that different from its predecessor. Gone were the classic sewing machine thrum of the air-cooled engine, the distinctive profile and even the jewel-like styling details. In their place, the 996 substituted a more conventional water-cooled mill, a bloated jellybean shape that vaguely resembled the traditional 911 look but was completely devoid of sex appeal, and acres of corporate plastic from the instrument cluster to the engine bay. Slightly faster the 996 may have been, but in the minds of most enthusiasts, including this one, the loss of character over the 993 was a heavy price to pay for the extra capability. No, given the choice, I’ll gladly “put up with” the 993′s vintage quirkiness, even if that means, in the end, I’m driving the slower car.

Old 08-04-2014, 09:02 PM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yummy Turbo!

Trending Topics

Old 08-05-2014, 12:21 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Paul902

Yummy Turbo!
Paul-- More collectible candy for your eyes to eat

By Mike, on his "Pics from Monterey/McCalls" thread:
Originally Posted by mpgandco

Jager----Thanks!

Old 08-05-2014, 03:34 PM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

Thank you, Sir. I have never seen that carbon dash trim with "Exclusive" written on it. Factory origninal piece for the Exclusive program? The colour temperature in the last photo is quite a bit different from the others. To the eye, is the interior like the previous shots? Is that Chestnut?
Old 08-05-2014, 03:51 PM
Spyder_Man
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm ok not having all the carbon fiber bits and leather wrapped vents, but I sure would like to add some hardback sport seats and a rear seat delete in my car to mimic the above Turbo's look. The 3-spoke wheel is a nice touch too.
Old 08-05-2014, 04:19 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Re collectible - when I had my 993 track car for sale, I got a number of 'can it be driven on the street?' 'take out the cage' and other 'I'm interested if you turn it back to a street car'.
Of course, the great thing about my track car was - it's a really well-done track car! Changing it back to street made no sense at all.
But I appreciated the enthusiasm, which was a sign of the market's interest.
Attached Images  
Old 08-05-2014, 07:38 PM
Robert993TT
Racer

Originally Posted by Paul902
Thank you, Sir. I have never seen that carbon dash trim with "Exclusive" written on it. Factory origninal piece for the Exclusive program? The colour temperature in the last photo is quite a bit different from the others. To the eye, is the interior like the previous shots? Is that Chestnut?
My 993 turbo has "Exclusive" written on the carbon dash trim like the car in the pictures above. It was a factory option. On the Turbo S model it says "Turbo S" instead of "Exclusive".
Old 08-05-2014, 08:28 PM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Love red interiors. Can't wait to get mine back from the shop.
Old 08-06-2014, 04:44 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Burdell
Love red interiors. Can't wait to get mine back from the shop.
+1. Green too.
Old 08-06-2014, 07:11 AM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 90 Posts

Do we really want 993s to become highly collectible? Those who own them now may feel like winners. But with desirability come theft, increase cost of parts, and stupid replacement costs if you need to.

Quick Reply: Interesting article - 993 becoming collectables