993 Forum 1995-1998

Interstate MTP-91 Battery Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 05:22 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts
Default Interstate MTP-91 Battery Question

I know a lot of us run this battery in our 993s myself included. Has/does anyone as routine maintenance add distilled water to the battery every couple years? If so where? I think I only see one fill plug in about the exact same area as the center vent tube under the black code date warranty sticker. Only one? I was expecting 6-8 cell plugs. Do these ever need topping off? Thanks.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:27 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 237 Posts

They don't require topping off. Same battery I've used (Diehard) for 12 years of ownership. Never added distilled water and never even check it. Unless you have boil over event - in which case you'd replace the battery anyway as a precaution.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:48 PM
Ocean Blue C2S
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FYI ...these Interstate batteries ( I just bought one today) are MAINTENANCE FREE.

the previous one lasted just 4 years!

Cheers,

Bert
Old 07-11-2013, 08:18 PM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Actually, the Interstate MPT-91 is not truly a "maintenance free" battery. Maintenance free batteries are of the AGM or gas gel type batteries. This battery is a standard lead acid battery.

The battery has two small lip areas that can be pried off with a flat screwdriver. There you will find a 3 cell cap on each side of the battery - just like we're used to seeing in older batteries. There you can check the water level and also the acid content with a standard hydrometer battery tester. Distilled water can be added if needed.

It is true that, for the most part, the newer wet lead-acid batteries do not tend to lose as much water as older type. But they can be serviced to check and possibly extend their life even further.

I am hoping Alex (IXLR8) will chime in on this as he is the expert who follows these threads.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:00 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 644 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by mgianzero
Actually, the Interstate MPT-91 is not truly a "maintenance free" battery. Maintenance free batteries are of the AGM or gas gel type batteries. This battery is a standard lead acid battery.

The battery has two small lip areas that can be pried off with a flat screwdriver. There you will find a 3 cell cap on each side of the battery - just like we're used to seeing in older batteries. There you can check the water level and also the acid content with a standard hydrometer battery tester. Distilled water can be added if needed.

It is true that, for the most part, the newer wet lead-acid batteries do not tend to lose as much water as older type. But they can be serviced to check and possibly extend their life even further.
Exactly!

I can't comment on that particular battery because I've never seen one in front of me.

But these so called "maintenance free" flat top batteries that have no caps usually have a strip with built-in caps, that can be removed.

And there is no such thing as a maintenance free battery...minimum maintenance maybe, but they all need periodic charging and some topping up.

Three more months to go and my battery will be going into its 15th year.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:02 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

I just installed a new Interstate MTP-91 this week. I installed the previous MTP-91 8 years ago. I never touched the battery, but typically kept the car attached to a Porsche battery maintainer.

The car seemed slightly harder to start recently, so I replaced it 'just in case'.

Andreas
Old 07-12-2013, 10:12 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Thanks everyone. Good info.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:43 AM
rlme36
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts

Anyone using a battery may under their batteries? I'd like to but the fender side mount doesn't seem to have much room to accommodate the addl height it would add when wedging the battery back in.

Thanks

Rob
Old 07-12-2013, 12:51 PM
linen grey ghost
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, I installed this brand (NOCO p/n MC316) [noco-usa.com available from BATTERYMART.COM] (no endorsement given nor implied, just for info purposes) battery mat under my Duracell 48 battery; trimmed to extend about a half an inch beyond all four side of the battery bottom; and it fits well. No binding issues and it is black in color.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:05 PM
RedSled113
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I just pulled out an MTP-91 from the C4S is just purchased a few weeks ago. It was over 11 years old and still ok. I replaced it with a new MTP-91 just to be safe. Don't forget about resetting your readiness codes by doing a few drive cycles if you are coming up for state inspection in the near future. That was fun!
Old 07-12-2013, 02:22 PM
CarreraX
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by linen grey ghost
Yes, I installed this brand (NOCO p/n MC316) [noco-usa.com available from BATTERYMART.COM] (no endorsement given nor implied, just for info purposes) battery mat under my Duracell 48 battery; trimmed to extend about a half an inch beyond all four side of the battery bottom; and it fits well. No binding issues and it is black in color.
I'm assuming you installed this in a 993?
Old 07-12-2013, 06:31 PM
linen grey ghost
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes CarreraX,

Installed in a 1995 Carrera.

Quick Reply: Interstate MTP-91 Battery Question