993 Forum 1995-1998

Dealer advice ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 12:52 AM
mambodoc
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dealer advice ?

Am considering a long distance purchase from Walters Porsche in Riverside Ca. Will have to ship to Fl. Anyone have experience in dealing with them? Also need a reference for a mechanic in the area to do a PPI. A reliable transport too. Thanks a bunch!
Old 07-12-2013, 09:38 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,445 Likes on 1,018 Posts
Default Looking at a 16 year old car.

When looking at a 16 year old car such as a 993 the dealer , even with the best of intent, will likely mis some key disclosure items on the car. Your best bet is to have a Porsche Club member look at the car and drive it for you.
A local inspection guy, mechanic or not, may not give you adequate feedback unless you give him very specific guidance on what to look at.
Attached is a list of common issue on 993 that may help you in developing an inspection item list.
Andy
Attached Images
Old 07-12-2013, 01:10 PM
linen grey ghost
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did a similar transaction in 2012, my honest advice: 1) have a "RennFax" done by a knowledgeable member; assuming you are positively advised then 2) have a PPI completed by a Rennlist recommended (search function and old threads are your friend), air-cooled knowledgeable independent shop; again assuming all is reasonably positive (in an imperfect world) then seek guaranteed, insured and bonded, enclosed transport (not worth cheaping out on this-ask me how I know) with one of the recognized, National name shippers (again search function, Panorama, Excellence magazine may be useful in your search for a firm to contract with).

It wasn't terribly hard, but then again there were several disappointing discoveries made when the vehicle arrived; none would have been a deal breaker, but several would have provided additional bargaining chips in the price negotiation phase in my favor with the dealer in question had I been informed of them from either the dealer or the PPI. (did not seek RennFax and that was an error on my part; lesson learned $$)

Best of Luck to you.

Last edited by linen grey ghost; 07-12-2013 at 01:11 PM. Reason: spelling-typing challenged individual
Old 07-12-2013, 01:22 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Yup, RennFax is the way to go. I will also suggest that you fly out there, look at the car with your own eyes and then drive it back to Florida. It's a great way to get to know it. Andreas bought his car in the Washington state and drive it back to the east coast.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:53 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

I've bought new cars from Walter's, both Porsche and Mercedes. The owner, Walter Kienle, started out as an independent Mercedes shop owner and mechanic many years ago, and has been a new car dealer since 1964. He also owns the local Audi dealership. Walter's has a good reputation as an honest dealer (but there will always be some detractors who didn't get a perfect car for free).

Their Porsche dealership is one of the larger ones, with a large service area that has all the latest flat-screen displays and computerized equipment. Most of the techs are younger guys, who don't have much experience on the air-cooled cars.

If you can get Walter's to agree to an independent shop PPI, Precision Motion is close by, and they know the air-cooled cars well. You can reach them at 951-784-0425--ask for Donny Kravig, the owner.

I've used Intercity to ship Porsches with excellent results. They ship lots of high-end cars, and are very careful.

Quick Reply: Dealer advice ?