993 Forum 1995-1998

Removing Dash Panel Over CR210 Radio

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 08:19 PM
f11
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing Dash Panel Over CR210 Radio

How do I remove the panel above the radio, the narrow panel with the three ***** and one blank, as shown in the picture?

The dash above this panel has four screws inserted vertically upward into it, and are the only screws or fasteners I can find in the vicinity of the ****-panel. Is this where I start? Or do I have to start at the bottom of the dash, near the footwell and remove layers as I move upwards?

The objective here is to get at the back of the cigarette lighter to tap off the power and ground lines and hang a US-standard cigarette lighter under the dash for US-standard auto accessories... I was GOING to buy the $24 "cigarette lighter socket upgrade" kit from SunCoast

<http://www.suncoastparts.com/product//PK9X6LIGHTER.html>

but I'm in Canada and they want $60 for shipping and another $25 for "processing", whatever that is (customs paperwork, perhaps)... or about $109 for the item - before I pay exchange! Not happening. Installing a standard size lighter socket is a better solution, allowing the stock lighter to remain as is. I don't use that many accessories, so having the socket tucked up under the dash when not needed isn't a problem. If the new socket gets more use than I expect, perhaps I'll install it in the blank spot on the panel. I dunno. It all depends on if I can get that ****-panel off.

Sorry, long explanation for why I'm posting my question. Any help appreciated!
Rod
1997 993 Carrera Cab
Attached Images  
Old 07-01-2013, 09:52 PM
k722070
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 46 Posts

if you are asking about the textured area around the *****, cr-210 and climate control,
it is not a panel and cannot be removed without much more than $109. it is a large piece glued to the metal dash.
if you want at the back of the lighter go from underneath the lower dash.
if you want power tap into the center console, search for 12v or radar detector, something like that.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:11 PM
TheBen
Drifting

Received 125 Likes on 93 Posts

Is there no adapter that goes from Porsche euro style to US standard?
Old 07-01-2013, 10:36 PM
x50type
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try pulling out the radio for access to lighter.
Old 07-02-2013, 02:35 AM
f11
Instructor

Thanks, k722070... figures, its glued to the metal framework... getting at the lighter from beneath the dash sounds like my idea of entering hell: at 60, I'm not even sure I can bend that way anymore . I was hoping to tap the cigarette lighter power for the new socket, since that line is already fused for high current, and as I'll never use the OEM lighter, it seemed safe and "easy" to vampire off of.

The center console is an obvious secondary source of 12V (no radar detector circuit present to my knowledge, but the cab top and spoiler switches are in there), although the fusing may or may not be sufficient for my accessories. Trying to avoid having to run a new line with its own fuse from the fuse box if I can.

TheBen - if you know of an adapter made to remedy this situation, you're the only one... there are a LOT of threads on these forums discussing various ways to fix the large socket problem. Most "sort of work" for most people, and involve some kind of "sleeve" being inserted into the OEM socket to provide an adequately tight fit for US-Std plugs. I'm going to give one of these fixes a try tomorrow.

X50type - pulling the radio has its own challenges, but in the end replacing the radio with a new iPOD-compatible head unit may be the ultimate answer to all my accessory problems... again, trying to avoid major project of rewiring and so on, since my radio/amp combo don't lend themselves to a plug-and-play upgrade, or so Crutchfield tells me.

Thanks, all... appreciate your time and suggestions!!
Rod
PS: my apologies for the ridiculously over-size image - didn't realize it would come in THAT large. - R
Old 07-02-2013, 10:56 AM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Access to the rear of the cigarette lighter is easy! Just plug the air compressor in, pull the cord out quickly like you are annoyed due to having a flat tire, and voila, it will be in your hand. The bitch is getting it back in which I have still not done.

There has to be an easier place to pull power from. btw, I have not had much problem plugging in accessories into the standard socket
Old 07-02-2013, 11:41 AM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 237 Posts

F11,

There is an excellent DIY from last year in the archives from a RL'ister that added a Cayman power port to the passenger side of the center tunnel. Looks totally factory and an easy install. Power was obtained from the center console. See the DIY below. The sunroof circuit is 30 amps so plenty of power. I would fuse your circuit as well.

http://p-car.com/diy/v1/

I tried to find the DIY but "Search" was inoperative. I have the hard copy of the DIY and the parts at my garage to do the mod but never got to it. If you send me an email I can scan and email you the DIY. It shows the entire install and parts needed.

m.capocefalo@aainy.com
Old 07-02-2013, 01:36 PM
x50type
Three Wheelin'

f11 wrote, "X50type - pulling the radio has its own challenges, but in the end replacing the radio with a new iPOD-compatible head unit may be the ultimate answer to all my accessory problems... again, trying to avoid major project of rewiring and so on, since my radio/amp combo don't lend themselves to a plug-and-play upgrade, or so Crutchfield tells me."

Crutchfield is correct - but I dumped my CR-1 radio and Nokia amp because one of them was not working [local audio installers said they had no way or interest in testing the amp/radio].
Crutchfield also said most radios, [now refered to as 'head units'] have sufficient power for standard use without an amp.

With this in mind i bought a Sony CDX-GT565UP head unit with CD, iPod, USB and Aux, 52 watt x 4 for $65 from Amazon. I dumped the Nokia amp and connected the head unit to the existing OE speaker harness under the passenger seat with a little fiddling about. Total cost less then $100.

Obviously it is not as good as systems costing hundreds if not thousands of dollars, but its better than the original CR-1/Nokia amp set up, about which no one complained at the time but decry now.

You might consider this alternative.
Old 07-04-2013, 02:37 AM
f11
Instructor

vincer77: um, I don't think I'll try that, I have enough challenges of my own.

I was looking at dumping the CR-210 as well, but I really don't have any complaints with it (yet - touching the wooden floor of my 993), except that it can't input iPod music. The FM solution is minimum-acceptable for now, while I mull over replacing the head unit.

I kinda figured a new head unit would be equal to, if not better than, the stock head+amp combo. I had a 964 before this car, and a then-6-yr old Pioneer head unit connected directly to the OEM speakers was WAY better sounding that the OEM radio+amp combo, so its likely I can do the same again. Crutchfield suggested an Alpine CDE-147BT head unit wired direct to speaker wires under psgr seat, and I'm considering it... but its no a $65 deal, so I'm looking at alternatives. I'm not looking to deafen the guy in the car next to me, so my needs are pretty basic - as long as there's a hardwired iPOD port, I'm good.

Meanwhile I've mounted a secondary 12VDC socket for my existing iPOD FM-Xmtr plug, as seen in the attached picture. Its got a little rubber hat to keep out dust and curious fingers. Pulled switched 12VDC power and a ground bolt point from fuse box, using fuse slot 25 (seat heaters, cigar lighter RHS) which wasn't being used for anything anyway, through an inline 10A knife-fuse - pulled wire pair down through a grommet under psgr dash and routed into the central tunnel. Should be removable without leaving a visible trace when that day comes.
Attached Images  
Old 07-04-2013, 11:26 AM
x50type
Three Wheelin'

Sony CDX-GT565UP head unit with CD, iPod, USB and Aux, 52 watt x 4 for $65 from Amazon - now up to $89.99 with free shipping.

I see the Crutchfield recommended Alpine CDE-147BT is a rather meager 18 watts!

Good plan to keep what you have until something conks.........................

Old 07-05-2013, 01:44 PM
f11
Instructor

Um, ya gotta read carefully - the Alpine head unit is 18W RMS, 50W Peak - just like the Sony unit you suggested with 17W RMS and 52W Peak. Besides, that's LOTS of juice for the regular listening I do.

The Sony CDX-GT565UP is no longer available from Crutchfield but is on Amazon.ca for - argh, a classic US-Cdn pricing difference: C$178 !! I swear, I'm going to set up an arbitrage operation for US and Cdn products and get rich on the spread!! This is ridiculous...

I see Crutchfield Canada has the replacement Sony unit CDX-GT575UP for C$129 (still outrageous, but at least better). That's probably what I'll end up putting in when the time comes.

Thanks All !!
Rod

Quick Reply: Removing Dash Panel Over CR210 Radio