993 Forum 1995-1998

C2S FS

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 10:18 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by JDHertz11
Not sure you guys will take this well...

But when did you become the judger of all? Are you buying the car? Are you in the market for a car? For this car?
There are tons of mis or wrongly represented cars for sale on eBay, Craigslist, Autotrader etc.. Why don't you contact all of them on RL?
One could make the argument that the essence of these bulletin boards, and the Internet itself, is to disseminate information.

When purchasing a car, the more information one can glean, the better. I'm fairly certain there are those on here who are looking for a 993 to purchase, and by providing factual information about any car for sale, threads like these serve a purpose.

If, in fact, the car in question was hit, then this thread served a critical purpose to any prospective buyer, as the advertisement does not disclose that information. That information via this thread could save a prospective buyer thousands upon thousands of dollars, and provide him quality information that allows him to make a better buying decision

Any time anyone finds substantive factual information about a car that is wrongly represented, it's a good thing to post it in threads like this. Not only does it make it easier for prospective buyers to make an informed decision, hopefully it dissuades sellers from wrongly representing cars for sale in the future because they can see that word gets around on threads such as these
Old 06-15-2013, 10:24 PM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
One could make the argument that the essence of these bulletin boards, and the Internet itself, is to disseminate information.

When purchasing a car, the more information one can glean, the better. I'm fairly certain there are those on here who are looking for a 993 to purchase, and by providing factual information about any car for sale, threads like these serve a purpose.

If, in fact, the car in question was hit, then this thread served a critical purpose to any prospective buyer, as the advertisement does not disclose that information. That information via this thread could save a buyer thousands upon thousands of dollars, and provide him quality information that allows him to make a better buying decision
I hear you 110% but I think that sometimes guys go a little overboard piling on just because its the Internet. I spent half an hour reading ESI's far from satisfactory record on a few other Internet boards before posting and I still stand behind my comments. Yes this car was probably hit, yes ESI has a history of misrepresentation but... maybe some Internet restraint should be considered?
Old 06-15-2013, 10:25 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

maybe some Internet restraint should be considered?
Agreed. In direct proportion to maybe all pertinent info about a car for sale should be honestly and factually disclosed
Old 06-15-2013, 10:27 PM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 572 Likes on 361 Posts

I can appreciate the information provided in this thread and think it has its place. But I'm not sure I would have worded the title as strongly as the OP did unless I new that this dealer purposely was trying to hide something in the ad or that they make a practice of deception.
Old 06-16-2013, 12:57 AM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by pirahna
I can appreciate the information provided in this thread and think it has its place. But I'm not sure I would have worded the title as strongly as the OP did unless I new that this dealer purposely was trying to hide something in the ad or that they make a practice of deception.
+993
Old 06-16-2013, 02:04 AM
96PCarrera993mg
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I truly believe that the title of this thread needs to be revised because as it stands it's bordering on slander, it's a personal attack on this business and the owner. Policing the internet is not recommended. Just saying.
Old 06-16-2013, 04:57 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by 96PCarrera993mg
I truly believe that the title of this thread needs to be revised because as it stands it's bordering on slander, it's a personal attack on this business and the owner. Policing the internet is not recommended. Just saying.
ESI bought a car on eBay for what we can reasonably guess was no more than $52,900 and then jacked the price ~$12,000 while calling it "pristine" which regardless of how much a parking lot fender bender and respray on a rear panel would bother you -- it clearly is not to the average 993 buyer.

If you want to toe the line around what is and what isn't slander -- don't worry -- I'll bear that cross for you. Nothing untruthful has been stated -- I don't know why they didn't disclose the damage nor did I ever say that I had prior knowledge of them knowing about it. I've made that extremely clear. I only know the issue exists as I originally purchased from the original seller @ 52.9 and backed out when I found out about the damage.

Further, the eBay response they gave to "Don't you think you should disclose the accident this car was in?" was "Thank you for your inquiry. If you are a serious buyer as stated in the ad: "Please call with questions prior to bidding". I always disclose any material defects and welcome prospective buyers to call and discuss details of all my cars.
Take care, Eric"

Interesting to note-- they didn't seem too curious as to what accident I was referring to and the ad still hasn't been modified.

Further, "beware" = "Be cautious and alert to the dangers of"; I would beware purchasing a 993 from ESI given the above details - YMMW.
Old 06-16-2013, 05:08 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

Not sure you guys will take this well...

But when did you become the judger of all? Are you buying the car? Are you in the market for a car? For this car?

There are tons of mis or wrongly represented cars for sale on eBay, Craigslist, Autotrader etc.. Why don't you contact all of them on RL?

My point is... Nothing... Don't think this is the place to get SO involved in the sale of this car. Maybe if you're so concerned you'll call the dealer and help them correct everything if they're inclined to take your call. The Internet is a playground without faces or repercussions...
Generally I'm not an unbiased 3rd party with non-public knowledge about a "pristine" car listed on eBay...

Last edited by destaccado; 06-16-2013 at 05:31 AM.
Old 06-16-2013, 09:26 AM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Look at the much larger picture here. It's a for sale ad on eBay... For a 16-17 year old USED CAR. If you don't like it, if you're unhappy with what the DEALER is asking for it, don't buy it. After all, Victory is still in business and has plenty of PRISTINE cars for sale too...
Old 06-16-2013, 09:56 AM
CarreraX
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

And motormeister will also do a great job rebuilding the engine if it needs it........
Old 06-16-2013, 10:05 AM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Originally Posted by CarreraX
And motormeister will also do a great job rebuilding the engine if it needs it........
That's a good example too!
Old 06-16-2013, 11:25 AM
inkatouring
Three Wheelin'

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

Calling a used car dealer out for representing a car that has been hit as pristine is like calling out a hooker for telling you she's a virgin. Yeah, it's untrue but anyone fooled by it is already a fool.

That said, it's a good thing to point out the car has been hit. Thanks for that.

Last edited by inkatouring; 06-16-2013 at 12:56 PM. Reason: cuz I made a boo-boo
Old 06-16-2013, 12:46 PM
96PCarrera993mg
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What BS! This guy is creating an uproar on Rennlist and is not even a Rennlist member.
Who are you and what do you want?
Old 06-16-2013, 01:25 PM
stace
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by 96PCarrera993mg
What BS! This guy is creating an uproar on Rennlist and is not even a Rennlist member.
Who are you and what do you want?
and you don't have to be a member to post (again why do some people need to be the internet police). every post here is someone's opinion. take it or leave it - its our individual choice. I too appreciate the OP informing the board about this car's history. that's why we all come to this forum - to learn and share - being a member is our own business.

that's just my opinion - take it or leave it accordingly!

as a side note - ESI is in Sweet Home, OR?? - really - been through there dozens of times - tiny little town on the west face of the cascades. never knew there was any car dealer there of any kind.....

thanks Rennlist - is this a great place or what??
Old 06-16-2013, 01:25 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Although I can understand why some on here take issue with assigning the blame to the car dealer, I don't understand why anyone think's it's a bad idea to forewarn others about a misleading ad that fails to disclose accident damage.

The dealer may/may not have known about the damage, but I think the OP did a service by at least pointing out the ad is deceptive and less than forthcoming about the truth about the car.

Also, the OP may not be a member, but he's been here for 9 years. He's entitled to post worthwhile information, and this thread was certainly helpful to anyone considering this particular car

Quick Reply: C2S FS