993 Forum 1995-1998

GimmiYour Best Shot

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 07:41 PM
AKTUNG
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GimmiYour Best Shot

Changed my oil and both filters. Book says capacity is 12 quarts. I was only able to get 10 quarts in. I let it drain for a long time.The oil is so clear It is about impossible to read on the stick but appears just under one half of the distance from lower to upper marks which is about a little more than one third of a quart. I know it wont hurt to leave it where it is but I like to be full. Would you add one third to one half quart? Thanks.
Old 05-17-2013, 07:53 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

12 quarts, IF you could pull the engine out and shake every drop of oil out of it, and repeat that with every oil line, including the ones running up to the front oil cooler. 10-11q is about right.

993s like to be at 1/2 full or less. They have a tendency to puke out, burn off, or otherwise dispose of the oil above 1/2 dipstick, then will stabilize and be fine. With fresh oil, the dipstick is very hard to read. Use a paper towel to lay the dipstick on and squeeze the towel around the dipstick... The oil deposit on the paper towel will show you where the line actually is.
Old 05-17-2013, 07:57 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What Keith said...
and good job not overfilling it!
Old 05-17-2013, 08:27 PM
AKTUNG
Rennlist Member

Thanks to both of you guys. The lay it on paper is an excellent idea because I found it hard to feel or see the oil on the dipstick. Makes me feel a lot better. Just so you know, I got my Fister IIIs and wow. Sounds GREAT!!
Old 05-17-2013, 09:08 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

There is some oil in each filter as well.
Old 05-17-2013, 11:16 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 644 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by AKTUNG
I was only able to get 10 quarts in.
You're over thinking this.

It takes what it takes to get it within the upper half of the dipstick.

My last three oil changes: 10.7 l, 10.5 l, 11.5 l. At 11.5 l, my oil level gauge is at 100% or full with the dipstick at "max".

Get to know your dipstick vs oil level gauge indications.
Old 05-18-2013, 11:12 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

The oil is so clear It is about impossible to read on the stick but appears just under one half of the distance from lower to upper marks which is about a little more than one third of a quart.
Actually, according to the Porsche label in the engine compartment, the difference between the Min and Max levels on the dipstick is 1.5 liters...that is 1.6 US quarts for those not clued into the metric system.

Old 05-18-2013, 12:54 PM
zechunique
Racer

I'm unclear (unlike your oil apparently) as to whether you ran the car long enough to get the oil heated up for your final fill check...?

I know the temperature makes a difference on the volume of the oil in there. Especially when your taking about a large quantity.
Old 05-18-2013, 02:05 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
You're over thinking this.

It takes what it takes to get it within the upper half of the dipstick.

My last three oil changes: 10.7 l, 10.5 l, 11.5 l. At 11.5 l, my oil level gauge is at 100% or full with the dipstick at "max".

Get to know your dipstick vs oil level gauge indications.
And he's over thinking this????
Old 05-18-2013, 02:47 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 993BillW
And he's over thinking this????
Yeah like...fill it to the mid point on the dipstick...and if you feel like it, you can count up the bottles of oil you used.

And if it only took 10 or 11 liters...so what.
Old 05-18-2013, 03:39 PM
AKTUNG
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by zechunique
I'm unclear (unlike your oil apparently) as to whether you ran the car long enough to get the oil heated up for your final fill check...?

I know the temperature makes a difference on the volume of the oil in there. Especially when your taking about a large quantity.
I had just come back from a lenfthy hard high speed run. I let the car idle for about 1 minute and checked iy. I know it was definitely warmed up correctly. Plus someome else here said their last changes ranged from 10.5 to over 11 quarts. I could only get it to barely take 10 quarts and I let it drain for almost an hour and changed both filters. any other suggestions are appreciated.
Old 05-18-2013, 04:14 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

Changed my oil and both filters. Book says capacity is 12 quarts. I was only able to get 10 quarts in. I let it drain for a long time.The oil is so clear It is about impossible to read on the stick but appears just under one half of the distance from lower to upper marks which is about a little more than one third of a quart. I know it wont hurt to leave it where it is but I like to be full. Would you add one third to one half quart? Thanks.
Are you at all capable of using a search function? Or is it some genetic mutation that prevents you from doing so?

PS. Good job on changing oil and filters. But, man...
Old 05-18-2013, 04:59 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Plus someone else here said their last changes ranged from 10.5 to over 11 quarts.
And each of them varied in how long I let it drain. Sometimes drain before dinner and finish the job after dinner. Other times left to drain overnight.

I could only get it to barely take 10 quarts and I let it drain for almost an hour and changed both filters. any other suggestions are appreciated.
I was very fast getting the back wheel off and taking the front-half of the fender liner and rocker trim off during my last oil change (you get better at it in time). Maybe that had something to do with the oil being drained out of the cooler lines while the thermostat was still hot.

I don't know and it really isn't important. Pretty well everybody who owns one of these is **** about the oil they use (yet they will eat junk food ) and if a bit more or less of old oil mixes in with the new, nothing to sweat about.

You did drain the oil in the engine block?
Old 05-18-2013, 07:31 PM
AKTUNG
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nile13
Are you at all capable of using a search function? Or is it some genetic mutation that prevents you from doing so?

PS. Good job on changing oil and filters. But, man...
Get a life. You know you can just ignore a posting. Man...
Old 05-18-2013, 08:43 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

Get a life. You know you can just ignore a posting. Man...
You are very difficult to ignore. But, hopefully, more and more of us will take your advice.

Quick Reply: GimmiYour Best Shot