Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Official Tie Rod Pinning Tool Wait List Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 12:19 AM
Jlbarnett
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What is the status of the brass bushing in the tool? From looking at previous posts it may need to be replaced
Old 03-27-2017, 01:22 PM
Jlbarnett
Racer

Where is the tool going to?
Old 03-27-2017, 01:51 PM
911F1
Rennlist Member

Received 310 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by Jlbarnett
What is the status of the brass bushing in the tool? From looking at previous posts it may need to be replaced
The tool worked perfect for me. I was the second to last person who used it.
Someone eventually will need to buy some more pins. Those are running a bit low.
After I installed the pins. I filled in the hole with some black silicone. Though it might
be a good idea to seal things up.
Old 03-27-2017, 07:15 PM
Jlbarnett
Racer

Originally Posted by 911F1
Someone eventually will need to buy some more pins. Those are running a bit low.
After I installed the pins. I filled in the hole with some black silicone. Though it might
I just ordered a 10 pack of 5/16 roll pins from McMaster-Carr, should be here later this week
Old 03-28-2017, 10:35 PM
MarinS4
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by 911F1
I found this to be an important step. When I changed outer tie rods I found the inside "pinned" side rusty. I ran a tap and wd40 down it to clean up the threads. I then sealed the pins so it would not happen again. I don't really drive it in the rain so I imagine someone who does will have even bigger problems.

Last edited by MarinS4; 03-31-2017 at 11:25 AM.
Old 03-30-2017, 03:27 AM
drb930
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Can I get on the list to borrow the tool?

Thanks,
Dave
Old 03-30-2017, 11:18 AM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Wow - glad to see the 'pinning' team still active .... for it has been alive for several years now.

The age old nemesis persists - the 'tool' can never be in enough places at the same /desired time .... sort of on the spirit of the Heisenberg Uncertainty principle.

For anyone of even modest mechanical ability, it is only a few min to fabricate a jig that will serve you well .. and perhaps a couple of buddies: this may alieve the interminable wait.

Go to the basement or local hardware store and get a 6-12" piece of Schedule 40 1 1/2" ABS drain pipe ( std drain line under your sink), and a small can of the pipe glue. Hacksaw a 3/4" ring off one end, and section that ring into ~ 3/4" squares. Stack ~ 3 of these pieces with curvatures matching, and glue them progressively to build a stack near one end of the pipe stub. This will pass no beauty test, but who's to know.

For dimensions, 19mm in from one end for the pilot hole, 38mm id of the pipe, and total length, 68mm (3/4", 1 1/2", and 2 2/3" [2 11/16]).

Drill a 5/32" pilot hole through the diameter INTO the bottom of the glued up stack ... it doesn't matter if the drill penetrates the entire stack ..... now, hacksaw out a 'saddle' to the above dimensions, and finish drilling the pilot on the radius/diameter line.

It should now approximate the original jig - will try to link to that LINK. Slap it on with a hose clamp, and run your 5/32 pilot through the inner tie rod - yes, drill 19mm inboard from the rack side: your alignment guy will charge extra if you happen to drill & pin the outer rod half ...

Hand hold the drill to chase the pilot with a 5/16", lightly grease the pin, tap in ...

A jig can be set up with many household items, but this is worth a try - and costs practically nothing.
Old 03-30-2017, 01:25 PM
clib
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Garth S

For dimensions, 19mm in from one end for the pilot hole, 38mm id of the pipe, and total length, 68mm (3/4", 1 1/2", and 2 2/3" [2 11/16]).

Garth
this is very helpful and sounds easier than waiting. 2 clarifications, sorry if dumb:
1. The above in quotes I am not sure I'm understanding what the measurements refer to.
2. Seems important to drill exactly the correct depth to not penetrate the opposite wall of the inner TR. What is that depth from the TR exterior?
3. In your original post you mentioned wanting an approach to fixing the TR's that would be reversible if it all failed. How would you reverse this?

thanks again for the original posts and this.
Old 03-30-2017, 04:01 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by clib
Garth
this is very helpful and sounds easier than waiting. 2 clarifications, sorry if dumb:
1. The above in quotes I am not sure I'm understanding what the measurements refer to.
2. Seems important to drill exactly the correct depth to not penetrate the opposite wall of the inner TR. What is that depth from the TR exterior?
3. In your original post you mentioned wanting an approach to fixing the TR's that would be reversible if it all failed. How would you reverse this?

thanks again for the original posts and this.
Bill,

"quotes' are in inches .... for the metric handicapped .... 19mm = 3/4", etc.

In starting the pilot hole through the jig ( on the diameter line), your bit may not be long enough to fully exit the glued on stack of plastic .... so, cut out the saddle and finish the hole from the inside of the saddle .... the important part is that the pilot be on a true radius line to the cross section of the tie rod body.
When the jig is clamped on the inner TR body, the pilot ( and subsequent 5/16") holes must completely pass through the tie rod body: that is the way that the 5/16 X 1 1/2" roll pin anchors the hidden inner can to the visible surfaces of the outer can.

Trust that to be not more confusing
Old 03-30-2017, 04:42 PM
clib
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 64 Posts

Ah. So the hole is intended to go completely through the tierod assembly. For some reason your cut-away picture with bolt lying partially acroos was stuck in my head as how the rolledpin was to end up.
Makes sense
Old 03-30-2017, 11:59 PM
Jlbarnett
Racer

Originally Posted by Garth S
Wow - glad to see the 'pinning' team still active .... for it has been alive for several years
I believe the jig in circulation is the one chaos creature created. I'm not sure what happened to your original jig, I lost track of it in all the threads. Did it make its way back to you?

DPRM is shipping the jig to me, as no one else PMd him an address. It will be here late next week sometime (coming from Canada) I have a couple people local that want to use it and then I'll sent it on to the next person (AZ Targa)
Old 03-31-2017, 06:52 PM
AZ Targa
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jlbarnett
DPRM is shipping the jig to me, as no one else PMd him an address. It will be here late next week sometime (coming from Canada) I have a couple people local that want to use it and then I'll sent it on to the next person (AZ Targa)
Thats strange, seeing that I did PM him my address...
Old 04-24-2017, 01:15 AM
Jlbarnett
Racer

Jig is in the mail going to AZ Targa. Was able to pin several local 993s while I had the tool
Old 04-24-2017, 04:13 PM
AZ Targa
Pro

Anyone in greater Phoenix area who is interested in using the jig while it is in Scottsdale PM me!
Old 04-24-2017, 07:11 PM
AZ Targa
Pro

I just wanted to consolidate the list for the Jig. It looked like a few people got skipped that couldn't be reached. If you got skipped PM me.

Used the Jig
oLuB8UchKxp
911F1
DRPM
Mtl
JlBarnett

Skipped (MIA)
TargaTuur69
996 GT2
jskylarwilson

AZ Targa (shipped to)

Waiting/Queued