Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Official Tie Rod Pinning Tool Wait List Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 03:37 PM
boman993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Guys, I'd love to get in on this! please add me to the list!
Old 07-03-2014, 03:51 PM
mgianzero
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
I forgot I needed to post here for the tool - I would like to borrow it during my 9th Annual BBQ on August 16th - since I live in Vancouver, it would be much easier to ship it to Seattle before, and one of the guys coming to the BBQ can bring it up. We will have a pinning party since there is a line-up of guys here already professing interest.
Cheers,

Mike

Darn Mike, I really wish you lived closer so I could join you at one of these BBQ parties. I hope it will happen someday. Would love to see your shop and hang out.

Marc Gianzero
Old 07-18-2014, 01:56 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 110 Posts

I'd like to put my name on the list too. I just picked up a '95 a few days ago, so I'm back on the list after a 6 year hiatus, back when these are not being done. Can someone also direct me to the description of how it is done? I did a search, but could not find it.
Old 07-18-2014, 05:17 PM
quacktoduck
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I forgot I needed to post here for the tool - I would like to borrow it during my 9th Annual BBQ on August 16th - since I live in Vancouver, it would be much easier to ship it to Seattle before, and one of the guys coming to the BBQ can bring it up. We will have a pinning party since there is a line-up of guys here already professing interest.

I had started another thread but will switch to this one since it seems its the protocol.

Cheers,

Mike
hey mike i can have it shipped to me and brought up for the event.
Old 07-18-2014, 06:16 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Just asked Fat Mike to ship it to Harlan when he is finished - can definitely ship it to you if he thinks he has too much stuff to bring up ..
Old 07-18-2014, 07:16 PM
quacktoduck
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I had started another thread but will switch to this one since it seems its the protocol.

Cheers,

Mike
Just asked Fat Mike to ship it to Harlan when he is finished - can definitely ship it to you if he thinks he has too much stuff to bring up ..
No problem, if he is already bringing it up i might as well use the frunk for beer and BBQ items. Please let Harlan know i have room we might as well convoy
Old 07-18-2014, 07:34 PM
Spyder_Man
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

FWIW, the tie-rod tool is currently in the box just large enough to hold a baseball. I'm sure it wont be difficult to find room for it during transport.
Old 07-18-2014, 11:03 PM
nrubenstein
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by therossinator
I don't know if Initial or Marcus got it yet, but everyone below them has gotten it.
I think assuming they got it the list is:
Fatmike
Spyder_Man
Seamless (maybe)
Destence

I got it today, pinned them, and am waiting for an address from Fatmike.
I seem to have been dropped from the list (I was on it in 9/2013). I never got it, nor was I ever contacted about it...
Old 07-23-2014, 12:05 AM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have received a few questions about the tool I made.
Here is the drawing I used to make the tool. Feel free to tweak, modify, duplicate, replicate etc.

Originally it had little thumb screws to hold the tool to the tie rod while you drill. Later I added a slot to the top to locate a piece of 1/2" key stock as a drill bushing, but I forgot the dimensions I used to screw the key stock to the top. I saw some pictures here and the bushing looks like it needs replacement. To whomever has it now, feel free to drill out the smaller hole to 5/16". I don't think anyone is pre-drilling with the smaller bit so it's not necessary.
Old 07-23-2014, 01:30 AM
therossinator
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

That was all me. I thought it was just the perfect size. The old box was unnecessarily huge.
Originally Posted by Spyder_Man
FWIW, the tie-rod tool is currently in the box just large enough to hold a baseball. I'm sure it wont be difficult to find room for it during transport.
Old 08-23-2014, 11:44 AM
lambotex
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd like to put my name on the list. My 96 can use a little help.

thanks,

Scot
Old 08-23-2014, 12:05 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Ok, we are just wrapping this up - I personally pinned 19 cars, and Ray (Rotec) is doing 3 more, which would make 22 done up here in Vancouver. We will replenish the pin supply (since we ran out long ago) and ship it to the next person.

I totally used the pilot bit (the smaller one) to get the initial hole, then used the larger bit, hand guided, for the larger hole. We found we had to play around to get the radial alignment correct to use the larger drill guide, and with a pilot, it was no problem to "follow" the initial hole. You have to have strong wrists, the transitions between materials can get interesting, the rubber insert will tend to bind the drill, and then it needs to re-engage metal twice (the center shaft and then the outside again) which can really jerk the drill bit around. After doing 18 in a row over 7 hours, I will admit to starting to feel a bit of fatigue.. :-)

So, who is next - just after fatmike? Can they PM me with the shipping info?

Cheers,

Mike
Old 08-24-2014, 12:08 AM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

For any of you that are a bit impatient (like me) and wanna get the pinning done, I've got a quick, simple pinning jig solution. I bought a 1-1/2" X 1/2" threaded (1/2") PVC tee. A 1/2" X 3/8" brass red. bushing & a 3/8" X 1/4" brass bushing. Filed out the hub stop in center of tee, glued in 1-1/2" pipe (abs or pvc, doesn't matter), fit 1/2" X 3/8" & then 3/8" X 1/4" bushing. Drill out 1/4" brass for your drill jig. After glued pipe has set up, cut in half to make a saddle. 2 hose clamps and your done.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  102.8 KB
Old 08-24-2014, 12:30 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

From what I can glean from looking over this thread, the list looks like this:

nrubenstein (seemed to aks be on the list in Sept/2013)
Seamless (maybe)
Destence
vtwin996
boman993
lambotex

If no objections, and if nrubenstein is ready to receive, that is where I would ship it (unless I have this order wrong - please post quickly if so...).

Cheers,

Mike
Old 08-24-2014, 12:33 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by OverBoosted28
For any of you that are a bit impatient (like me) and wanna get the pinning done, I've got a quick, simple pinning jig solution.
Yah, a nice solution for a few ones - I think part of the fun of the official jig is it gets shipped all over the place, and if you are going to do a lot (like the 19 I did) you need something hardier. Nice improvisation!

Cheers,

Mike

Quick Reply: Official Tie Rod Pinning Tool Wait List Thread