Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Other users w/Bilstein HD & H&R springs-ride height help

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 08:03 PM
Top-Gun
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

OP, I'm curious where you sourced the extra spring collars from? I've got HD's on my car (installed by the PO) and I'm pretty sure mine only have the single collar as well. I'd like to duplicate the double locked configuration.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:59 PM
plymouthcolt
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I pulled them off my rear pss9`s. I called Bilstein and as usual Bilstein USA never has any spares in stock-everything has to come from Germany. My front pss9`s have been with Bilstein since last October waiting on parts for a rebuild

I wasn't aware of USA dealers that offer the lock rings. Hopefully someone will post a source for them here.

Howard
1997 911

Old 03-05-2015, 02:28 PM
socal911sc
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
look closely at the original installation, here the drop link mount is connected w/ the spring perch, to lower the drop link mount the spring perch and thus ride height must also change or you must give up the double nut locking configuration

and the updated installation, here the drop link mount is separated from the spring perch and so can be adjusted for height w/o changing the spring perch and thus the ride height while retaining the double nut locks
I may be bringing back an old thread here, but in looking at the above photo, the bottom drop link mount only has the single locking collar. I thought the concensus was to have a locking collar on the top AND bottom to avoid any lateral movement?

I just recently purchased 2 additional locking collars for my HD/H&R install and I'm noticing that there's not enough threads to do a top/bottom locking collar on the drop link mount, plus the spring perch collar, and a locking collar below that. Am I missing something? Did I buy 2 extra locking collars for nothing?

Thanks.
Old 03-05-2015, 02:41 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 509 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by socal911sc
I may be bringing back an old thread here, but in looking at the above photo, the bottom drop link mount only has the single locking collar. I thought the concensus was to have a locking collar on the top AND bottom to avoid any lateral movement?

I just recently purchased 2 additional locking collars for my HD/H&R install and I'm noticing that there's not enough threads to do a top/bottom locking collar on the drop link mount, plus the spring perch collar, and a locking collar below that. Am I missing something? Did I buy 2 extra locking collars for nothing?

Thanks.
Here is what I have on my car, belts and suspenders because I want all the insurance that can be had that there will be no issues at speed

double lock at the bottom perch and double lock on the sway bar perch top and bottom
Old 03-05-2015, 03:29 PM
socal911sc
Instructor

Here is what I have on my car, belts and suspenders because I want all the insurance that can be had that there will be no issues at speed

double lock at the bottom perch and double lock on the sway bar perch top and bottom
I agree, but as you can see from my picture below, I don't have as many threads on my shock body as yours. So all my threads are taken up with the double locking collars on the drop link mount, and a locking collar under the perch. This doesn't leave me any room for height adjustment, unless I take out one of the locking collars.
Attached Images  
Old 03-05-2015, 03:46 PM
rlme36
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts

I agree, but as you can see from my picture below, I don't have as many threads on my shock body as yours. So all my threads are taken up with the double locking collars on the drop link mount, and a locking collar under the perch. This doesn't leave me any room for height adjustment, unless I take out one of the locking collars.
using one too many collars. the perch is threaded, use that to lock against one ring and use the 2 others to set the spring height.
Old 03-05-2015, 04:22 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 238 Posts

To rephrase: You are at the bottom of the adjustment range for that shock.
Old 03-05-2015, 04:23 PM
socal911sc
Instructor

Originally Posted by rlme36
using one too many collars. the perch is threaded, use that to lock against one ring and use the 2 others to set the spring height.

Ok, so THIS should be the correct way then....I didn't realize that the bottom of the threads of the shock body actually create a "lock" for the bottom of the drop link mount, and then lock it on the top with a collar. Then this will leave a space for adjusting the ride height between the drop link mount and the spring perch & locking collar.
Attached Images  
Old 03-05-2015, 04:40 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 509 Likes on 349 Posts

Ok, so THIS should be the correct way then....I didn't realize that the bottom of the threads of the shock body actually create a "lock" for the bottom of the drop link mount, and then lock it on the top with a collar. Then this will leave a space for adjusting the ride height between the drop link mount and the spring perch & locking collar.
For street use you don't have to be as finicky
But I wouldn't leave it like that

if that is the height you want raise the swaybar perch so the the perch or it's top lock nut is the second lock nut for the spring perch. You might even have room to use the other lock nut under the swaybar perch

Alternatively there are sway bar perches that are high and lower than that
Here is an example w/ 3 different ways to attach the link

Old 03-05-2015, 04:54 PM
socal911sc
Instructor

For street use you don't have to be as finicky
But I wouldn't leave it like that

if that is the height you want raise the swaybar perch so the the perch or it's top lock nut is the second lock nut for the spring perch. You might even have room to use the other lock nut under the swaybar perch

Alternatively there are sway bar perches that are high and lower than that
Here is an example w/ 3 different ways to attach the link

I get what you're saying. But if I want to lower the height of the car after installing the shocks, then I have to take the whole assembly out of the car and make the adjustment, as opposed to having room to adjust the height without disrupting the drop link mount. I guess I just got conerned about any lateral movement of the drop link mount after reading some posts on here. But like you said, if I'm using the car basically for street-use/spirited driving on occasion, should I be ok with the single lock collar above the drop link mount?
Old 03-05-2015, 05:01 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Get a shorter spring, they arent that expensive...

I dont know the specs on the stock spring, but Ill bet there is someone here that does (cough BV.. coucgh BV)....
Old 03-05-2015, 05:04 PM
rlme36
Burning Brakes

Isn't your droplink mount threaded? mine was. I don't even have the extra lock ring on my car, it was "optional" since the kit didn't have them. I would not bottom out the drop link mount on the strut shaft since it will invariably not be in the right position. I do keep telling myself i'll go back and put that lock ring in one day, should really buy a set for when that day comes.

rob
Old 03-05-2015, 05:12 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rlme36
Isn't your droplink mount threaded? mine was. I don't even have the extra lock ring on my car, it was "optional" since the kit didn't have them. I would not bottom out the drop link mount on the strut shaft since it will invariably not be in the right position. I do keep telling myself i'll go back and put that lock ring in one day, should really buy a set for when that day comes.

rob
Thee problem is: if the line of force from the swaybar isnt directed exactly sqare to the droplink it will cause the mount to rotate out of position and break the droplink.

The origonal design was to use a single lock collar but they would still tend to rotate. The current wisdom is to lock them both top and bottom. This seems to work pretty well.

If you dont have any lock rings in place, I would bet you already broke a drop link and just havent noticed....
Old 03-05-2015, 05:28 PM
socal911sc
Instructor

Originally Posted by jscott82
Get a shorter spring, they arent that expensive...

I dont know the specs on the stock spring, but Ill bet there is someone here that does (cough BV.. coucgh BV)....
I have H&R springs that are going on, so from what I've read those are pretty low springs already. My concern is that if I set it up like my picture in POST #20 above, then I have no adjustability of the spring because I've used up all the threads.

Does anyone have any measurements using H&R springs of what the height settings need to be with the spring perch and drop link mount to achieve various ride heights (e.g. RS, RS+10, etc.)?
Old 03-05-2015, 05:28 PM
rlme36
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jscott82
Thee problem is: if the line of force from the swaybar isnt directed exactly sqare to the droplink it will cause the mount to rotate out of position and break the droplink.

The origonal design was to use a single lock collar but they would still tend to rotate. The current wisdom is to lock them both top and bottom. This seems to work pretty well.

If you dont have any lock rings in place, I would bet you already broke a drop link and just havent noticed....
See now you are going to make me drag *** out to look at the car to see if its moved at all. I do recall the single lock collar. I recall tightening with a metal punch to get it just right.

Quick Reply: Other users w/Bilstein HD & H&R springs-ride height help