Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

intermittent speedometer problem

Old 04-07-2013, 02:42 PM
randytrish
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default intermittent speedometer problem

Hey guys, I'm having an aggravating problem with my speedo. It will intermittently stop working. I had it apart a couple of years ago to do the gear replacement and everything went fine. Here recently it will stop working for a few seconds, just enough for cruise to drop out and then return to working again. I've checked/cleaned/reseated the connection behind the speedo and it doesn't seem to be there. Where are there any other connection points for the speedometer circuit?
TIA,
Randy
Old 04-08-2013, 01:05 PM
randytrish
Rennlist Member

Back to the top. I was hoping someone had run across this problem.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:32 PM
WingChun
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had a similar problem with mine, the speedo needle would just drop but tapping the glass would sometimes bring it back to life...for a while.

After removing and dismantling, I found a dry joint on the PCB, so I resoldered all the joints.

Never had the issue again.
Old 02-03-2022, 11:22 PM
timqiu
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey i just got my 993 cab, and got exactly same problem after i got odometer repaired. did you get yours sorted ?
Old 02-05-2022, 10:24 AM
GJSPIN
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 86 Posts

Highly recommend sending your gauges for repair or restoration to Harmut @ Palo Alto Speedometer.
Old 02-05-2022, 12:27 PM
randytrish
Rennlist Member

I just noticed that a post that I posted back in 2013 just surfaced. My speedometer works 90% of the time. I’ve tried cleaning/ checking the connections and never found what the true issue is. I guess I need to pull it and send it out to be checked. I remember when I was looking into causes I seen where folks had sent them out for repair and came back as nothing was wrong with the speedo. I can’t remember where it gets the signal from.
Old 02-05-2022, 05:52 PM
skl2
Rennlist Member

Received 281 Likes on 146 Posts

Another vote for Hartmut at Palo Alto. He just serviced mine and I couldn’t be happier.
Old 02-05-2022, 06:34 PM
timqiu
AutoX

Originally Posted by GJSPINELLA
Highly recommend sending your gauges for repair or restoration to Harmut @ Palo Alto Speedometer.
Thanks for reply. Im in Australia which make it difficult. Im going to send the speedo gauge back to the loacal gauge place again to double check again. They fixed the odometer for me by replacing a broken gear. Maybe there is some conection hasnt been put back probably which might be the reason of not transfer speed data. The OBC was working fine, before I took out the speedo gauge for repair. Hopefully its a easy fix.
​​​​
Old 02-05-2022, 06:35 PM
timqiu
AutoX

Originally Posted by randytrish
I just noticed that a post that I posted back in 2013 just surfaced. My speedometer works 90% of the time. I’ve tried cleaning/ checking the connections and never found what the true issue is. I guess I need to pull it and send it out to be checked. I remember when I was looking into causes I seen where folks had sent them out for repair and came back as nothing was wrong with the speedo. I can’t remember where it gets the signal from.
Thanks for the reply. So you still hasnt got it fixed?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: intermittent speedometer problem