993 Forum 1995-1998

993 Targa Reducing wind noise at high speed

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2016, 08:16 PM
will007
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 30 Posts
Default 993 Targa Reducing wind noise at high speed

I've read the threads and come to the conclusion that for most Targas when you get above 80mph expect a lot of wind noise. Well, I was not satisfied with that answer.

After much (delightful) high-speed testing to determine where the wind noise was coming from, I narrowed it to the leading edge of the wind deflector. I think over time the rubber gasket at the front shrinks and the leading edge of the deflector becomes a wind block. Replacing the rubber gasket was out of the question for me. So when I came upon a thread about someone taping the seams on the earlier Targa roofs, that gave me the idea.

1. Using my friendly/favorite TESA tape (buy a role or two at Amazon -- https://www.amazon.com/Tesa-Wire-Loo...ords=tesa+tape) I ran two pieces across the front. Made a cut on both sides of the deflector where it raises up. And with that the wind noise dropped dramatically!

Try it! I'm amazed at how well the tape stays on. It got wet and seems to stay on even better. It looks stock that you don't even notice it. I also ran a strip (inside) at the back edge as well -- not sure that did anything but now when you press down the deflector does not move.

Tesa tape with cut at ends

Last edited by will007; 12-20-2016 at 08:18 PM. Reason: added a sentence
Old 12-21-2016, 01:25 AM
fatmike
Three Wheelin'

Received 379 Likes on 237 Posts

uggh. How about some gummipflege on the rubber seal instead?

/
Old 12-21-2016, 09:17 AM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Hey Will007, you're right that the Targa shouldn't make noise at high speed or any speed for that matter. I recently spent some time highway cruising in a coupe, and I'm sure it's quieter than my Targa, but not that much quieter.

According to MikeJ in this post you can apply more pressure on that seal by adding spacers on the wind deflector hinges.

I now believe the factory installed these on some cars to fine tune the pressure on that seal, and I've seen other Targas that also had them installed.

If you don't have these, you could make some by cutting up a $1.50 black plastic putty knife. And pp000830 would be in support of the Home Depot repair.
Old 12-21-2016, 10:44 AM
Grapeape
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by will007
It looks stock that you don't even notice it.
This is a joke right? Looks like a zit on a super model. I guess its easier to ignore the zit when you are driving her.

This can only be a temporary solution prior to a long drive when you don't have the time to repair properly. I'll admit I have rigged a similar solution prior to a long drive using sections of pool noodles . I successfully eliminated the wind noise by replacing deflector fasteners with new hardware and using a torque wrench to tighten to proper values. I think the new hardware with Loctite on the threads, the use of a torque wrench and ensuring the leading edge of the deflector is slightly lower body made the difference for me.

Good luck at your next attempt.
Old 12-21-2016, 10:51 AM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by mpruden

If you don't have these, you could make some by cutting up a $1.50 black plastic putty knife. And pp000830 would be in support of the Home Depot repair.
Old 12-21-2016, 02:07 PM
will007
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all the comments and ideas. Yes, my fix is not the ideal by any means and my photo probably shows it more negatively than it really is in person.

I'm going to look into the fastener at the leading edge again -- I think I have it as low as I can go and it is still above the rubber seal. Hmmm maybe the bracket is the issue. Had similar issue with the sun shade -- the metal rail looked fine, but in reality was bent which was why I was having this funny noise at a certain stage of rolling up. Replaced the rails and the noise went away and the shade works perfectly.

Thanks!
Old 12-21-2016, 02:14 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Can you use some clear bra to provide the same benefit? It would look much less obtrusive, assuming none of the adhesive is exposed, causing dirt to stick to it.
Old 12-21-2016, 02:18 PM
will007
Rennlist Member

hi Mark:

Interesting thought about the clear bra material.
Old 12-22-2016, 04:14 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,017 Posts

Originally Posted by P-daddy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpruden View Post

Yes, brothers I support you!
Old 12-22-2016, 04:41 PM
Leander
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Eventually it settles in and quietens down, but when I close the wind deflector the wind noise makes conversation impossible. The roaring rushing noise is what I'd imagine a rocket re-entering the atmosphere sounds like. I quite like it.

Quick Reply: 993 Targa Reducing wind noise at high speed