Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Smaller front bumperette that is nearly flush

Old 03-01-2013, 12:57 PM
skywachr
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Limeyboy, brilliant concept! I could actually go for that.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:40 PM
Resident Sicko
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I will start discussion with my partner if you want me to proceed. I suspect the biggest challenge will be the amount of units. (Always the case) This will determine the material which will determine the tooling requirements. To take the road debris abuse, I suspect it would have to be injection molded unless we go with hand laid composite which will require a LOT of hand finishing. With our Tiawan connections, this may not be that bad.

Honestly, I would feel better paying a little more for an injection molded part- More detail accuracy and better finish but at a higher cost, especially if less than a hundred pairs are wanted but will look into it.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:23 PM
hchc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sign me up for one whenever!
Old 03-01-2013, 03:11 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 504 Likes on 186 Posts

I don't think you'll have a hard time selling at least a few hundred of these. And not just to Rennlisters.

My car already has the ROW front and rear bumpers but if it didn't I'd be all over this!
Old 03-01-2013, 03:16 PM
hkspwrsche
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by skywachr
Limeyboy, brilliant concept! I could actually go for that.

Look even converted a non believer!
Old 03-01-2013, 03:35 PM
slickster85
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Honestly didn't see it, but now I'm sold. I'd take a pair.

Also RS I'm pretty sure we would all rather pay more for a better quality product.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:58 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

That really does look nice!
Old 03-01-2013, 04:52 PM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 572 Likes on 361 Posts

Those look pretty good, I would be interested in them if available.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:09 PM
LimeyBoy
Rennlist Member

Received 205 Likes on 122 Posts

Last year I contacted a couple of companies about taking my molds and running with this but there was no interest. My molds are rough, the molded inserts take a lot of hand finishing to get decent and as said, the shape could actually do with refining - I just decided I was happy enough and stopped development.

I am not wanting to make a $cent out of this but would like to help those on RL who like this idea. I had a blast making these but am not the person to run with it:

Option1: Mass production. I am happy to give over all my molds, prototype molds and insert left-over bits I have for this insert design to any company. The molds are intended for poured plastic. However, I would think they are a good starting point and would speed up the process of getting to final tooling for injection molding etc, or maybe not, no idea (BTW, I agree with Sicko - injection molding is prob the best method).

Option 2: RL Enthusiast runs with this. The molds are yours shipped free to your house. I would reckon someone with patience could improve on my effort pretty easily. I also had the hope that someone could 3D scan my insert, tweak the shape then 3D print. A lot to ask, I realise now.

Option 3: RL pass around. I send the molds / instructions to the first person who makes a set - they then pass onto next interested party etc. Disclaimer below:

What you get out of the mold after pouring, I would never try to charge money for (!). There are holes and counterbores to drill (ok) and then due to the part line and air holes - filling, sanding, filling sanding to get the surface right for painting. Then the painting primer, base, lacquer. Fair bit of work - the one below is fresh out of a mold and there are actually tons of air bubble holes. Maybe I'm just crap at pouring plastic but I'd hate to give people the wrong idea in terms of quality.

Name:  IMG_4805.JPG
Views: 603
Size:  241.2 KB
Old 03-01-2013, 05:32 PM
ble2011
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I would love a set of these. Hopefully the price will not be out of my reach. I'm holding off having my current bumperettes painted to see where this goes.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:16 PM
Van Larson
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 106 Posts
Default Stealth bumper estates

I'm in.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:13 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

That's a great offer, but really, it's not hard to have a body shop fill the bumperetts. This honestly sounds like more work, then just per mentally filling the bumper.

For those that are instant the car be showroom stock, get a Euro bumper, then swap them when you want to back to stock.

I'm sorry, this looks a whole lot better….

Originally Posted by LimeyBoy
Last year I contacted a couple of companies about taking my molds and running with this but there was no interest. My molds are rough, the molded inserts take a lot of hand finishing to get decent and as said, the shape could actually do with refining - I just decided I was happy enough and stopped development.

I am not wanting to make a $cent out of this but would like to help those on RL who like this idea. I had a blast making these but am not the person to run with it:

Option1: Mass production. I am happy to give over all my molds, prototype molds and insert left-over bits I have for this insert design to any company. The molds are intended for poured plastic. However, I would think they are a good starting point and would speed up the process of getting to final tooling for injection molding etc, or maybe not, no idea (BTW, I agree with Sicko - injection molding is prob the best method).

Option 2: RL Enthusiast runs with this. The molds are yours shipped free to your house. I would reckon someone with patience could improve on my effort pretty easily. I also had the hope that someone could 3D scan my insert, tweak the shape then 3D print. A lot to ask, I realise now.

Option 3: RL pass around. I send the molds / instructions to the first person who makes a set - they then pass onto next interested party etc. Disclaimer below:

What you get out of the mold after pouring, I would never try to charge money for (!). There are holes and counterbores to drill (ok) and then due to the part line and air holes - filling, sanding, filling sanding to get the surface right for painting. Then the painting primer, base, lacquer. Fair bit of work - the one below is fresh out of a mold and there are actually tons of air bubble holes. Maybe I'm just crap at pouring plastic but I'd hate to give people the wrong idea in terms of quality.

Attachment 707574
Old 03-01-2013, 07:16 PM
linen grey ghost
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Perhaps these could be injection mold maufactured and then; if they could be interested in marketing them; "BumperPlugs.com" could do the final painting in all 993 colors and provide final QC before final sales to a grateful customer base?
Old 03-01-2013, 09:07 PM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 572 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by Stealth 993
That's a great offer, but really, it's not hard to have a body shop fill the bumperetts. This honestly sounds like more work, then just per mentally filling the bumper.

For those that are instant the car be showroom stock, get a Euro bumper, then swap them when you want to back to stock.
I think the point is that this could look better than the stock bumperettes and won't be cost prohibitive. Doing a bumperette delete or a euro bumper while probably looking better is hardly an inexpensive option.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:42 PM
hkspwrsche
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes cost and simplicity.

Some one like better bodies or bumper plugs could run with this cheap.

Someone tell me why Porsche cut a notch instead of just having it ride out and over the same bumper as the euro?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Smaller front bumperette that is nearly flush