Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 12:37 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 508 Likes on 348 Posts
Default Nitto NT01 feedback??

Any of you guys that track your 993 use Nitto NT01's

I've been very happy w/ Sport Cups but the prices are crazy compared to the Nitto's and everyone used to love the RA1 that the NT is descended from.

I'm thinking 235/40 and 275/35 x18 for sizes

I was all set to go to R6 245/35 and 285/30 but the issues w/ that tire are scary
Old 02-08-2013, 12:41 PM
rlme36
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts

I ran these on my M3 with full race setup on the track. They are ok, howl like a ****** trucker at speed and tend to wear a little funny/feather.

I went from these to the R888's Hated them with a passion and then went to BFG R1's, very happy with them and the wear/performance they give

my 2 pennies
Old 02-08-2013, 12:54 PM
flatsixforme
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Bill,

I'm on my 3rd set in those same sizes, however, I run them on 996tt wheels in my widebody. I have been nothing but happy with them. The best part is how consistent they are compared to Hoosiers....they only seem to loose grip right before the cord. For the money, I don't need that extra second or so that a fresh hoosier would give. For reference I run -2.4 camber front and -2.7 rear. I would run a bit more in the front if i could as I flip the tires midway through their life. The rears; however, wear beatifully. You have such a developed suspension package on your car I'd guess these numbers don't mean that much
Old 02-08-2013, 01:41 PM
certz
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

Out of curiousity are you not looking at the Hankooks because of the diameters or some other reason? I use them and like them a lot with very good wear.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:54 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 824 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by certz
Out of curiousity are you not looking at the Hankooks because of the diameters or some other reason? I use them and like them a lot with very good wear.
Which hankooks?

I think that Adam will attest that the 01's are noticeably "grippier" / faster vs the rs3's and both provide similar wear characteristics.
I'm on my first set of rs3 and it's too early to form an opinion.
Sorry, I have no experience with the Z214s.

I'm pretty sure that Martin Shacht (sp?) uses the 01's in 235 / 275 and may comment.

Craig
Old 02-08-2013, 01:57 PM
Paddy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Bill, I've used them and thought it was a decent tire for the price but no where close to the MPSC. Also, the MPSC are superior in damp/wet conditions and seem to last a little longer.

Have you tried slicks on your car yet?
Old 02-08-2013, 02:23 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

here's what I have been looking at, constraints, as close to equal height f/r as possible, as short as possible.

I've been using 225/40 & 265/35 x18 MPSC for the last 6yrs and have no complaints except price and i'd like a little more width/lower profile

Reports of R6 failures are getting to be worrisome, reports of Hankook availability are worrisome, the ideal size as used on Cups was 245/35 & 285/30(when converted to street sizing)
Old 02-08-2013, 02:50 PM
David in VA
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bill, I've been using NT-01's in those sizes for several years now. We run them on both the 993 and 996 and love them. As you said, great price and good until they cord. Used to run RA-1's on the '87 and they felt identical but were more expensive.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:14 PM
certz
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

I should have clarified - I run the Z214's in the sizes you have highlighted. I knew they were about a half inch taller than the MPSC's you are running and thought that might be one of the reasons you are hesitant to go with them. I like them - lots of grip and very good wear, but I do understand I am making my already crappy stock gearing a little worse. Last I checked, they are supposed to be available in April, which may not work for you since, I think, you are in California and probably have track days planned earlier.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:43 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Paddy
Bill, I've used them and thought it was a decent tire for the price but no where close to the MPSC. Also, the MPSC are superior in damp/wet conditions and seem to last a little longer.

Have you tried slicks on your car yet?
So you liked MPSC better? As I said I've never had a complaint about them and they do last a long time, maybe too long. I'd sort of like a set of tires that last 1 season 15-20 days. Not 1.5 or 2 seasons, I got 30 days out of the last set of MPSC though they were falling off badly the last few days especially as it was getting colder in the AMs
Old 02-08-2013, 08:21 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by flatsixforme
Bill,

I'm on my 3rd set in those same sizes, however, I run them on 996tt wheels in my widebody. I have been nothing but happy with them. The best part is how consistent they are compared to Hoosiers....they only seem to loose grip right before the cord. For the money, I don't need that extra second or so that a fresh hoosier would give. For reference I run -2.4 camber front and -2.7 rear. I would run a bit more in the front if i could as I flip the tires midway through their life. The rears; however, wear beatifully. You have such a developed suspension package on your car I'd guess these numbers don't mean that much
I run exactly the same sizes and wheels on a WB. I am now more than half through my first set. This is my first R-Compound tire and I just ordered the second set. It is by far the best-bang-for-the-buck sticky tire and I fully understand why it is so popular. You can even rotate them and they do not heat-cycle out before they cord (according to plenty of long-time users at our track). They are not a good tire in the wet when worn but I would go to my street tire set for a rainy weekend.

Another benefit of the size for a WB (more rubber in the front and less in the rear) that the balance of the C4S (even with RS sway bars) is much improved.

There is a guy on the ebay that currently sells 2 rears for 528 USD shipped CONUS (after 50 USD) coupon. I stocked up ...
Old 02-08-2013, 09:19 PM
RSAErick
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 1 Post

Last season I moved from MPSC to NT-01. I find the NT-01 to be a very predictable tire with great grip. But after 1 season, it still isn't an easy comparison, because my last memories of the MPSC's were as a heat-cycled out tire. Still, I thought that the MPSC's were always a little 'finicky' - meaning, they worked great when at the proper pressure and temperature, but the drop off outside of that sweet-spot was more dramatic. For example, on cold mornings or in rain I found them to be slightly difficult to feel at the limit.

Time will tell how these tires compare; however, I have heard great things about longevity with the NT-01.

Considering the dramatically lower price, I think that you will be more than happy moving from the MPSC to the NT-01. Just my $0.02, of course.

Good luck!
Old 02-08-2013, 11:31 PM
HFDesignworks
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run the NT-01s in those sizes on my NB. Have six track days on them and they are holding up great. Predictable and sticky. Last tires were RA-1s on my 1983 track rat. I think the RA-1s probably lasted a little longer but as others here are saying, for the price and availability, the NT-01s are tough to beat.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:10 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Bill, I've been running NT01 for years now, and it's a truly great tire. It's extremely predictable, whether hot to cold or over/under inflated, it's easily controllable. And you run until it cords, so never worry about heat-cycling-out. I also ran it on my race car when I first started racing an M3 and loved it. Yes you lose 1-2 sec over Hoosiers, but it's far less expensive and far easier to drive. I have yet to find a better all-around track tire.

I used MPSC before the NT01, and I would never ever for one second consider going back to MPSC. The Nitto is just so much more fun and safe, yet still fast.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:14 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RSAErick
Last season I moved from MPSC to NT-01. I find the NT-01 to be a very predictable tire with great grip. But after 1 season, it still isn't an easy comparison, because my last memories of the MPSC's were as a heat-cycled out tire. Still, I thought that the MPSC's were always a little 'finicky' - meaning, they worked great when at the proper pressure and temperature, but the drop off outside of that sweet-spot was more dramatic. For example, on cold mornings or in rain I found them to be slightly difficult to feel at the limit.

Time will tell how these tires compare; however, I have heard great things about longevity with the NT-01.

Considering the dramatically lower price, I think that you will be more than happy moving from the MPSC to the NT-01. Just my $0.02, of course.

Good luck!
I hear you on the finicky part, but I have that under control, raiin is a no issue for me, i just don't do it.

Quick Reply: Nitto NT01 feedback??