Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Group Purchase on Atlas Scissor Lift

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 09:36 PM
coreseller
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 51 Posts

Thanks Guys......$2500 all in, I'm pretty happy with the end result.....
Old 04-25-2013, 07:03 PM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question

Those of you who bought this lift a few months ago, how do you like them so far? How is access under the car and using the lift been? Do you feel like it was worth it and useful?

I'm planning on picking one up in Delaware this weekend
Old 04-25-2013, 07:58 PM
jhg41977
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like it a lot so far. Great for brake work, engine access. Tough for tail end of transmission and torque tube. I am very happy so far. It is able to lift up high enough that i can remove the wheels standing up.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:06 PM
coreseller
Rennlist Member

Having only used it a couple of times my evaluation is limited, I can tell it will be a huge benefit over the years though, especially with the wife's and kids' cars.

From the remarks I had received from several guys who have them when I was trying to drum up a group purchase (here and 4 other boards), everybody who had them seemed pleased.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:37 PM
coreseller
Rennlist Member

Prom Night Detail today:

Old 04-26-2013, 01:46 PM
EMBPilot
Banned

the guys at gregg smith were great. i talk to them about the RL group buy even though it seems like nothing really spooled up with the GB, and they gave me a price of $1440 for the atlas in this thread. no tax no shipping... im picking it up tomorrow. im a one man show, so the plan is to unload it out of my pickup truck with the help of a local tow truck. then just roll it into the garage.

Last edited by EMBPilot; 04-26-2013 at 02:03 PM.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:53 PM
jhg41977
Three Wheelin'

I had a neighbor with a ramp and a pallet jack help me unload it. Once near where it was going we used a bar to lift up one end at a time to get the pallet out from under it. With one person youll have a tough time. Mine is not easy to roll around. Definitely would be a two man job to roll up any incline. I havent gotten around to cutting a hole in the floor. I used two 2x12 12 foot boards on each side. Cut on slightly shorter and 45 degree angle on the end to make a ramp. Use the scrap as a stop block on the front of the boards so you dont drive off.
Old 04-26-2013, 02:01 PM
coreseller
Rennlist Member

I got lucky with the low trailer and slight incline on my driveway when I drug it off with a strap, the drop was only about a foot or so to half of the original pallet I cut. Be careful, despite it's small size that thing is heavy. I found moving it with the roll around stand was pretty easy, I didn't have too much of a grade to deal with though and I'm a big guy.

Easy for me to say now but recessing it into the floor is the only way to go IMO, the work involved was worth it. Feel free to hollar my way if you have any questions on recessing it.
Old 04-26-2013, 02:08 PM
jhg41977
Three Wheelin'

Thanks, I may do that. Your write up covers it pretty well though. Im really just waiting for consistent warm weather so I can paint the floor at the same time.
Old 04-28-2013, 03:57 AM
EMBPilot
Banned

Everything went well today. im really happy with the lift. when i want to park both cars in the garage its maneuverable enough i can move it over to the side and park the P-Car on top of it. where i can either lift it in its park position, or if im doing more work i can move the lift to the middle of my garage and have at it.

few things that may have been mentioned already about this lift. when you buy it, you'll need to pick up 5 liters of hydraulic jack fluid. and a 30 amp plug for the unit. i had to scramble at the last minute to get those. I also bought 2, 2x12x12's i need to find heavy metal ramps to attach to them cause the 45 degree angle i sawed into the boards arent really helping.

they loaded the lift into my F150 with a fork lift and i was on my own, a one man team.

I got home and i called a flat bed tow truck to meet me at my house. he pulled the pallet off my truck and onto his bed, then backed it right into the garage and dropped it off. didnt break a sweat, took 15 minutes and ran me $50.

using the lift is great, it goes further up than i'll prob ever need. think about the wheels being high at your chest . just wish i had better luck with my first DIY project on it. hopefully brighter project days ahead. my car will be parked on this thing while i replace the parts i broke today on the car . i do love the lift though. if i stay in my house long enough i may sink it into the garage floor. for now the 2x12s will work...

anyone know where i can get metal plates to drive the car up onto the 2x12s with?

Old 04-28-2013, 08:55 AM
coreseller
Rennlist Member

Glad to hear you got it home and in the garage ok, I really pined on that portion of the project and couldn't believe it went as easily as it did after I got the lift into the garage.

On the ramps, what about buying some of the old fashioned stamped steel ramps and cutting them to adapt?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PAIR-OF-STEE...f107cc&vxp=mtr

When I purchased the aluminum plates for the wheels to roll on along with the stainless angle to line the recess with I got a major case of sticker shock. Metal prices have gone up...
Old 04-28-2013, 10:08 AM
jhg41977
Three Wheelin'

Im not sure why the angle cut on the 2x12 is givomg you an issue. I stacked two 2x12s on top of each other, cut a 45 angle in the bottom one and. 45 angle into the second aboit 12 inches back.

I did not replace any electrical. I used a standard 110v plug and my already in place 20amp outlet. As a note to others, simply placing a 30 amp plug amd receptacle does not give you a 30 amp circuit. You will need to replace the circuit breaker since you probably have a 20 amp breaker. You may also need to replace the wire depending on what was run. 14ga wire I believe is only good for 15 amp circuits. 12ga may be enough for 30, I am not certain. Like I said, I used a standard 110v plug and outlet/circuit rated for 20amps. Worst that should happen is you trip the breaker.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:18 AM
EMBPilot
Banned

Originally Posted by jhg41977

I did not replace any electrical. I used a standard 110v plug and my already in place 20amp outlet. As a note to others, simply placing a 30 amp plug amd receptacle does not give you a 30 amp circuit. You will need to replace the circuit breaker since you probably have a 20 amp breaker. You may also need to replace the wire depending on what was run. 14ga wire I believe is only good for 15 amp circuits. 12ga may be enough for 30, I am not certain. Like I said, I used a standard 110v plug and outlet/circuit rated for 20amps. Worst that should happen is you trip the breaker.
I know that. And yes u have to run a new line. But the book calls for a 30 amp circuit, I was just pointing this out... Yes u can run it off 20 but its not what it's spec'd out for.

Thanks core! U were an inspiration!
Old 04-28-2013, 10:28 AM
jhg41977
Three Wheelin'

I know the manual says it requires a 30amp line but I figured if people run into the same issue you had, they could at least get it going for a few days.

You are really going to like the convenience of having the lift! Even cleaning the car is easier. No more bending over to wax the lower parts!
Old 04-28-2013, 11:17 AM
EMBPilot
Banned

JHG, i def agree. the 20 amp circuit def seems to be doing the trick "for now"
i wish i had just taken the plunge and done this last year!

Quick Reply: Group Purchase on Atlas Scissor Lift