Looking for Connecticut shop for top end rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 12:36 AM
Toddster
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Looking for Connecticut shop for top end rebuild

I am looking for a shop in Connecticut for a top end rebuild
Are some shops better equipped for this than others, not sure I understand what gets farmed out and what is done in house.
Also, any tips on upgrades or maintenance while she's open?

I want a quality job, so not interested in a low ball number, would be nice not to take too much of a bath however,
Old 01-08-2013, 07:29 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 506 Likes on 187 Posts

Dan Jacobs or Auto Associates. Both are great. Why do you need a top end? Generally people replace the clutch and add a light weight flywheel with that job among other things.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:11 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

You are in the Danbury area right? Rennwerke is also an option.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:21 AM
Toddster
Pro

Since I have owned it in march of 2012 oil consumption has consistently been 500 miles to 1 quart, does not smoke at all, runs very strong, secondary air tripped the CEL twice now. Had a few of the plugs checked, no scoring there
It is a little frustrating, I figured buying a car w under 50k in mileage, I was a long way off from this. I did have a PPI performed, nothing turned up, not sure they can predict this in a PPI.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:52 AM
Meatball964
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Agree with the Dan Jacobs recommendation. Also talk to Musante Motorsports in South Windsor. I have no personal experience, but it's been my understanding that he is the man for engine rebuilds.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:11 AM
Toddster
Pro

Originally Posted by S2K993
Agree with the Dan Jacobs recommendation. Also talk to Musante Motorsports in South Windsor. I have no personal experience, but it's been my understanding that he is the man for engine rebuilds.
S2K993
Thanks, I have met Chris before but did not realize he was known for engine rebuilds, thanks for the info. Sent you a PM (I am also from Redding)
Old 01-08-2013, 09:12 AM
slickster85
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Didn't you just buy that from Danbury Porsche?
Old 01-08-2013, 09:27 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Toddster
Since I have owned it in march of 2012 oil consumption has consistently been 500 miles to 1 quart, does not smoke at all, runs very strong, secondary air tripped the CEL twice now. Had a few of the plugs checked, no scoring there
It is a little frustrating, I figured buying a car w under 50k in mileage, I was a long way off from this. I did have a PPI performed, nothing turned up, not sure they can predict this in a PPI.
Why even bother? Shops are not going to turn away work so don't just go there and offer money. If your oil consumption is low, buy an OBDII reader for $100 and check the codes while clearing it. You only need to make sure all the readiness codes are set before an inspection every two years.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:39 AM
pkrasusky
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry to hear of the consumption - I'm generally OK w/ cars @ 1qt/1k but 500 would get old quick

any of Musante / Automobile Associates / Hairry Dawg (Dan Jacobs) will be good experiences

but your proximity to Dan would have me gravitate there

all top-notchers tho regardless

I'm in the knock-woodrow bizarro situation as yours - in the 5k I've put on it I thought it'd eaten more oil - I now trust the gauge (which I never thought I'd say). I added what I thought it needed (1qt) and it only needed 1/2. I was floored, considering 95k and its spirited usage. PPI leakdown said 0% which I thought was malarchy but maybe not so far off it seems. Go figure.

Good luck. Use it as an opp to while-you're-in-there heh heh (d'oh) 8-)
Old 01-08-2013, 09:39 AM
Toddster
Pro

Originally Posted by chsu74
Why even bother? Shops are not going to turn away work so don't just go there and offer money. If your oil consumption is low, buy an OBDII reader for $100 and check the codes while clearing it. You only need to make sure all the readiness codes are set before an inspection every two years.
I would be happy to just keep adding oil to it and deal with the inspection like you said, I am just nervous I am going to do some major damage to the engine by not dealing with this now. It sounds like the exhaust valve guides are worn, not sure what the consequences of ignoring this are long term
Old 01-08-2013, 09:52 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pkrasusky
I added what I thought it needed (1qt) and it only needed 1/2. I was floored, considering 95k and its spirited usage. PPI leakdown said 0% which I thought was malarchy but maybe not so far off it seems.
0% leakdown across all cylinders on a 95K engine? I would be suspicious that it was not done or done incorrectly. My leakdown with 6K miles after a topend had between 2-4% on the cylinders.

Originally Posted by Toddster
I would be happy to just keep adding oil to it and deal with the inspection like you said, I am just nervous I am going to do some major damage to the engine by not dealing with this now. It sounds like the exhaust valve guides are worn, not sure what the consequences of ignoring this are long term
Make sure you are not overfilling it. These engines will burn the oil if added too much and then level off. I would not open it for the sake of opening it. If there are no nasty oil leaks from the engine burning a bit of oil will not hurt it. You need to learn more about your car before just go tearing into it.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:19 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,369 Likes on 793 Posts

Originally Posted by chsu74
These engines will burn the oil if added too much and then level off. I would not open it for the sake of opening it. If there are no nasty oil leaks from the engine burning a bit of oil will not hurt it. You need to learn more about your car before just go tearing into it.
I actually disagree. Oil burnoff is a bad thing, especially at 500mi/qt. For example, the oil in the combustion chamber firstly lowers the octane of the fuel mixture, which increases the likelihood for detonation. It further will carbon up the combustion chamber, valves, etc resulting in either increased likelihood of detonation and reduced power. When it gets really bad, it will start fouling plugs. All that oil in the exhaust will certainly not do the cats any favors either.

Oil consumptions of that level are almost always indicative of valve guide problems in these cars.

While I think a compression and leakdown test are necessary here, unfortunately for todd, I think he will need some work in the fairly near future. The car is obviously still driveable as is, but at some point, if you want a car that runs well, you need to address the issue.

good luck todd.

also, fwiw, I had a PPI done at Musante and was fairly pleased with their work...despite not proceeding with the car.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:24 AM
Deadeye
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Agree with chsu74, try keeping the oil level at the 1/2 way point of the indicator on your dip stick when the engine is hot/ warm. I found that to be the sweet spot on my 993. When I filled it to the top of the twisted section of the DS, it just puked it out somewhere and returned to the 1/2 way point.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:26 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

True but Todd has not indicated where he fills his oil level. If he is overfilling it, then I am not surprised the engine is burning it.

Edit: Deadeye is on it but Quad is correct in that if your oil level is properly filled and its still going through 1 qt every 1K miles, then you will need a topend.

Last edited by chsu74; 01-08-2013 at 10:44 AM.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:33 AM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MUsante and Dan Jacobs.

Thats where we send customer motors. Great guys as well.

Quick Reply: Looking for Connecticut shop for top end rebuild