993 Forum 1995-1998

97 Turbo S - battery draw issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 07:20 PM
SFJohn
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 Turbo S - battery draw issue

Hey guys, a few weeks ago I posted a thread that my Turbo S wouldn't start ... many suggested the battery, but it was only a few months old and my dash lit up, alarm worked, etc... Well I eventually hooked up a smart charger to the battery and determined it would not hold a charge, fried. This was a factory battery from the dealer. So I just replaced it with a high end performance Bosch last week ... last night no crank ... so it became clear that I have a short or a draw. Took it to a buddy's shop today, not a Porsche mechanic. He applies basic troubleshooting and removes fuses 1 at a time with a meter attached to the battery and determines that a 7.5 amp fuse in slot 29 for ""Inside Lights Interior Sensor" is the draw. We removed the fuse as a bastardized solution until I have a chance to take it to a real Porsche mechanic or talk to you guys ... so what do you think ? Also, who is the best guy in the Bay Area (prefer SF) to have work on this car in general ? Thanks.

Last edited by SFJohn; 11-07-2012 at 07:52 PM.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:35 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by SFJohn
He applies basic troubleshooting and removes fuses 1 at a time with a meter attached to the battery and determines that a 7.5 amp fuse in slot 29 for ""Inside Lights Interior Sensor" is the draw.
What was the current draw so that we can determine what it might be.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:41 PM
SFJohn
Intermediate

No clue what the baseline was or draw is now but assume normal draw at this point ..... only time will tell to see if that really fixed it ... but he was confident that this was the culprit fuse ... guess I was hoping someone would be aware of a known issue with this component
Old 11-07-2012, 08:39 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

My car etc is in the other garage so may be off base but...this fuse is for the interior lights next to each door right? Are they switched off, always on or on only when door opens? Could be a simple as a dome light being left on. Alex was right you need to know the draw and also the time that elasped for the new battery to die to better determine where to look.

If I was in the Bay Area I would head to RMG in Sunnyvale or FD Motorsports in Brentwood.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:05 AM
SFJohn
Intermediate

I believe the fuse only controlls the dome light, not sure though, I'll test it tomorrow. I'm certain that no interior lights were staying on, checked that.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:44 PM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by SFJohn
He applies basic troubleshooting and removes fuses 1 at a time with a meter attached to the battery and determines that a 7.5 amp fuse in slot 29 for ""Inside Lights Interior Sensor" is the draw...... he was confident that this was the culprit fuse ...
Hello, I am sorry but when you open the front deck lid, the deck lid has an interior light and is part of the interior cabin lights.
No wonder there was a draw , there should be a draw.
You will notice that the battery will die even if fuse 29 is out.
As for the draw, a little more info would be helpful...
When driving, all is well electrically ? No dimming driving lights on stops ?
There is a famous culprit which is the rear auxiliary blower temp sensor.
When it is dead, it does not stop the rear fan from cooling the engine after 20 or so seconds, after parking the car.
So after a drive, stand close to engine and listen to see if the fan shuts off after a while.
Other culprits could be a worn alternator brushes and aftermarket radio
regards
Old 11-08-2012, 02:37 PM
SSTAR
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Bob at RMG in Sunnyvale should be able to sort out any problems. Highly recommended. My TTS is at his shop now getting serviced.

Quick Reply: 97 Turbo S - battery draw issue