Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

In loving memory of Chuck Sertich

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 11:40 AM
EntropyChaser993
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, this guy had quite an impact on folks. "To live in the hearts we leave behind is not to die."
Old 08-11-2012, 12:03 PM
The Brewmeister
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by EntropyChaser993
"To live in the hearts we leave behind is not to die."
Posting on these threads is always tough especially when I never met Chuck in person. He played a big part in what the Rennlist community is all about and his contributions will be greatly missed. I think the above quote really somes up the feelings of many here. Godspeed Chuck.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:09 AM
DanielD
Racer

Originally Posted by 3healey
Great idea Bill. I'll have more to share when the knot in my throat and the hollow feeling in my stomach go away.
My wife worked for Chuck for many years, and has a few choice stories to tell. I'll try to get her to share some of them in the days to come. He was really one of a kind.
I took him for a ride in his beautiful Polar Silver car two weeks ago. We stopped for lunch at our favorite Mexican deli, and he wanted to talk about buying a place in his beloved Door County, WI. Not on the lake (too expensive, he said), but maybe a block or two away, with a view of the lake. He even had asked his brother-in-law for advice about buying a boat. He also asked me for some advice on some lighting and cooling upgrades for his garage so he could work on his car in comfort. The point here is that Chuck never let us give up hope. He was looking forward to Palooza. He was planning upgrades to his car and garage. He was looking forward to retirement and a place near the lake. He carried on as if he was going to get better, just so we could carry on with him. Even though he knew his time was short, he still planned for the future. I think he did this for the benefit of his family and friends. Rather than worrying about his own health, he was more concerned about how his family and friends were coping with his illness. Like I said...one of a kind.
He always, always had a smile on his face and a positivie attitude. A few months ago at work he was giving a presentation when he lost his train of thought; he immediately came back with, "You'll have excuse me, I've lost part of my mind" Only Chuck... He was truly one of a kind.
God Bless Katie and the kids; protect them as they go through these changing times.
Old 08-12-2012, 02:16 PM
kurtejacobs
1st Gear

Default Many thanks from his family

Your kind words and support are very, very much appreciated. It is touching to hear these stories and see the pictures that were a such big part of Chuck's life. Obviously it was more the people than the cars that Chuck loved and makes the community so special.

A couple of us family members have joined the forum to capture what you are saying (and showing) to share with Chuck's immediate and extended family. It means a lot to all of us to see Chuck from the eyes of others. Keep them coming.

His family cannot not say enough about the support from this community during his extended illness. It was the best medicine and kept him going for us to squeak out that extra time with him.

There will be a memorial service for Chuck this coming Friday from 11:30am to 1 pm at Memorial Park Funeral Home in Memphis. Link below.

http://www.memorialparkfuneralandcem...plate?id=67471

Undoubtably Chuck is up there working in a garage doing the impossible task of getting the wheels on a Porsche as bright and shiny as his perpetual smile.

Heart felt thanks,

Kurt Jacobs
Brother-in-law of Chuck
Old 08-12-2012, 02:48 PM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Kurt,

I am honored to be the first to welcome you to this thread/forum. Needless to say, you folks can see how we all loved Chuck. There are many Porsche owners, many 993 owners, not many have the connection that Chuck had with us. It is the man himself who solidified these bonds.

We hope that Katie, the boys and the rest of Chuck's family realize that there is a vast amount of support, well wishes and grief that we share here with them all. Further hope that makes them stronger and even more aware what Chuck meant to the people that knew him.

He casts a giant shadow in his own ways.

Best.

CP
Old 08-12-2012, 07:44 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 427 Likes on 271 Posts

We've just returned from a Porsche Club week-end in the NC Mountains to get this sad news. Chuck and I corresponded at least once a week or more when all this madness began and we, like many of you, became great friends. I feel cheated in that we never got to meet on Earth but have the firm conviction that, one day, we'll have that opportunity to sit, "swap lies" and work on our Porsches together in Heaven.
Old 08-12-2012, 08:13 PM
RJT
Lifetime Member

Received 312 Likes on 138 Posts

Welcome Kurt ~ I wish we all could have 'met' under better circumstances, but sometimes it is in sorrow that folks come together for the first time. I am glad that you have joined the Rennlist 993 family that Chuck was such a big part of.

He left a big impression on many off us that will never be forgotten. I for one, will never forget him giving me a pep talk when I first was diagnosed and him telling me to fight and that everything would be okay. In one PM he asked how I was doing, told me how he was doing (which was not well) and then told me that he was praying for me every day. That touched me so much that I saved that PM. He was so much worse off than me and here he was praying for ME. What a man......

There was only one Chuck and he's not with us anymore, but he will never leave us. He'll live on in our memories forever.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:51 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 133 Posts

Never got to meet Chuck but exchanged a couple pm's a few months ago. Wish I could have met him in person and swapped some car stories.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:00 AM
3healey
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Chuck and I had a "wash and wax" day last Spring. I took my car over to his house so we could clay my car and put a good coat of wax on it. As we worked our way around the back, waxing and polishing the rear fenders, he commented on how he thought our cars had the sexiest hips on the planet. Later, we took his car for a drive. As I got situated in the driver's seat, I asked him why he had his side mirrors pointed so far inward. He looked at me with that Chuck grin and said, "I like looking at her hips."
I washed and waxed my car yesterday, and thought of that day last Spring the whole time.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:43 PM
3healey
Racer

As Chuck's brother-in-law said above, The memorial service will be this Friday. If anyone from out of town wants to attend, plan to come to my place, just a short distance from Memorial Park. We can all drive over from there. PM me if you are interested.
The family has two requests:
1) They plan to have a slide show playing at the service and are asking for pictures of Chuck, good, bad or ugly. Preferably with a funny story attached. Send them to me and I will make sure they are included. PM me and I will send you my email address.
2) If you feel like you want to make a charitable donation in Chuck's name, the family requests that you support the American Cancer Society or the American Liver Foundation.
One last thing: Katie has taken the gearshift **** from Chuck's car so he can take it with him. It was an "old-school" **** with the Porsche crest in it. He was pretty proud of that small modification. I'm glad he got to keep it.

Last edited by 3healey; 08-13-2012 at 10:26 PM.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:54 PM
3healey
Racer

Let me update and clarify when and where the services are going to be:

Memorial Park Funeral Home. 5668 Poplar, Memphis, TN
Visitation: 11:30 a.m.-1:00 p.m.

Memorial Ceremony: 1:00 p.m.
Hilton Hotel – Tennessee Grand Room, 939 Ridge Lake Blvd., Memphis, TN

Reception: 2:30p.m. – 4:30p.m.

I know it's tough for people to come to Memphis on a weekday, but I wanted to let you all know just in case you might want to take a road trip.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:57 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Thank you for taking the time to update the board.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:45 PM
RJT
Lifetime Member

Received 312 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by 3healey
One last thing: Katie has taken the gearshift **** from Chuck's car so he can take it with him. It was an "old-school" **** with the Porsche crest in it. He was pretty proud of that small modification. I'm glad he got to keep it.

That is so meaningful.

Thank you Grant.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:19 AM
niche
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

A couple pictures of Chuck during our most happy days. This is the Chuck we should remember.
Wonderful man who I got to meet during the Ruf trip and had great correspondence with for years after.

Thank you for posting this thread.

Rest in peace, my friend.
Old 08-15-2012, 12:49 AM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RIP Chuck, you are missed. Wish I could have met you but still feel like I know you through this "great place". Prayers and condolences to the family, and welcome Kurt, wish it was under better circumstances.

God Bless

Quick Reply: In loving memory of Chuck Sertich