Garage Air Compressor Purchase Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 10:54 PM
XavierLaFlamme
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Garage Air Compressor Purchase Help

Hi:

I am finally going to buy an air compressor for my garage and I am looking for recommendations.

I have a small one car garage. I need something powerful enough to handle most DIY basic stuff for my 993. I was reading the SAI cleaning DIY and realized that it would be helpful for that and for so many other tasks.

When I started looking at all the choices my head started spinning. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I really appreciate it.
Michael

Last edited by XavierLaFlamme; 08-01-2012 at 11:31 PM.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:29 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 644 Likes on 449 Posts

A 2 hp 20 gallon unit is pretty well standard. Since space is an issue, look for a vertical unit.

If you want more of a compressor, a 5 hp 60 gallon vertical unit is all you'll need for what you've described. You won't grow out of that one unless you plan on operating a media blast cabinet.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:30 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Get a oil compressor, at least 20 gal, & 150 PSI.

You might be tempted to get a cheap oiless one. Then you will get a few tools realize it runs all the time, is loud as hell, & puts out about the same amount of air as a panting squirrel.

I have a 30gal, belt driven 150PSI, & I still want more, but it will need a 440v outlet for anything bigger.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:38 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 644 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by Stealth 993
I have a 30gal, belt driven 150PSI, & I still want more, but it will need a 440v outlet for anything bigger.
7.5 hp, 4 cylinder 2-stage and 80 gallon...runs on 240V. It blows!

They don't get "quiet" till you get the pump RPM down and that takes a large motor. My compressor is in the basement under my bedroom and I can hardly hear it run.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:46 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

If it's an occasional air nailer, fill the tires, operate the air lock on the lift, and blow the brake dust out, you're fine with a little pancake compressor. Get it on craigslist or at the box store.

Next step up is a 110v oil-less 15-25 gallon job, which will be fine for occasionally turning an impact wrench or to try your hand at spraying small parts. You get them at the box stores or sears. I think most occasional users choose these machines.

Regular wrenching with larger tools needs a 220 machine, with an oiled, belt driven pump, starting at perhaps 25-30 gallons, but for running more than one tool simultaneously, 3/4 inch wrenches or a blast cabinet, you're looking at a machine that takes up lots of space and recharges large volumes of air. I'm going to guess you're not outfitting a commercial shop and won't need a 60 or 80 gallon tank.

Besides the size of the tank, they're rated by hp, amps. and by cubic volume at a certain pressure. The manufacturer's web pages have all sorts of tables suggesting the volume of air needed for each type of tool you think you'll operate. Consider the tools you'll operate, and see what the charts suggest.

http://www.sears.com/ue/tool/110109_...or%20Chart.pdf

They argue about compressors on Garagejournal.com the way we argue about oil weights. Tons of useful info over there about all sorts of garage equipment; a few rlisters post there as well.

Whether you go for the box store lightweight, or a more solid 220 volt job, try to find a closeout.

I found an online clearance on a 220 v, 26 gallon, 10 cfi @90 psi, 4 hp dayton machine for $150, or nearly 80% off, at a nearby grainger store. it's sort of a near-commercial compressor--220 volts and single stage oiled pump, though surprisingly loud. That's enough to run most air tools all day, maybe even air sanders and bigger grinders, but not enough for a blast cabinet. At that price, it was an easy decision.

Last edited by mhm993; 08-02-2012 at 12:12 AM.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:15 PM
steve g
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I ended up with the 120v 2.5 hp 10 gal air compressor from Harbor Freight (along with their full/no questions asked replacement warranty). It has a 5.2 cfm @ 90 psi rating which is higher than most 2 hp units which means it can run most air tools except for painting...which I do not do. I also ended up buying all their (higher end) Earthquake branded ratchets and impact drivers (also with warranty). HF has all kinds of promotions and will let you apply 20% coupons to sale prices. Very happy with it.
Old 08-02-2012, 02:52 PM
ble2011
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by steve g
I ended up with the 120v 2.5 hp 10 gal air compressor from Harbor Freight (along with their full/no questions asked replacement warranty). It has a 5.2 cfm @ 90 psi rating which is higher than most 2 hp units which means it can run most air tools except for painting...which I do not do. I also ended up buying all their (higher end) Earthquake branded ratchets and impact drivers (also with warranty). HF has all kinds of promotions and will let you apply 20% coupons to sale prices. Very happy with it.
I bought the 2.5 HP 8 gallon air compressor (same specs as above) from Harbor Freight. Half expected it to fail by now, but always works great. Been very happy with it.
Old 08-02-2012, 03:41 PM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I started out with a 110 volt Campbell Hausfeld belt drive unit on a 30 gallon tank. Its okay for light duty applications and reasonably quiet. No 110 volt compressor will run a die grinder or spray gun continuously but they are fine for tires. A big tank will help. I now have a real 5 hp 220 volt Curtis with an 80 gallon tank. Its a beast and will run anything I have continuously.
Old 08-02-2012, 04:11 PM
XavierLaFlamme
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 40 Posts

Thanks. Great info and food for thought. I will let you all know what I settle on. 120V seems to be a strong possibility.
Michael
Old 08-02-2012, 04:31 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 182 Posts

go small, and 10-15 gallon...and make sure the motor has oil in it IMHO.

Anybody ever come across a small WALL MOUNT 120V compressor? Just something to pump up tires, that's all I need. I'm envisioning something no bigger than a loaf of bread.

?????
Old 08-02-2012, 08:11 PM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Magdaddy,
If you really just need something that small you could almost just use the 12V compressor from the car to inflate tires.
I used to run two 5hp, 60 gallon compressors in tandem to keep up with HVLP spray guns and sand blasters. I just sold my spare 60gal for $120 on Craigslist. Considering I paid $100 for it 5 years ago a good compressor is a pretty solid investment compared to the cheapie ones. That being said my first compressor was a 5gal 1.5 HP 110V job and I used the heck out of it. You could bolt that to a wall or mount it in the ceiling rafters of your garage with a drop down hose reel... yeah that would be pretty trick.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:25 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I've had a 5 hp (?) 25 Gal. 110 v., belt driven, oiled pump, upright Home Depot/Husky for about 10 yrs. now. Been a great compressor. While I don't do spray painting I've done a good bit of grinding/cutting with it, only having to pause occasionally. For a home unit it's great, on wheels so I can move it around when I need to. Not quiet by any means but not extreemly loud.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:51 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by steve g
So how long have you had it and how long is the warranty for?
Old 08-02-2012, 10:54 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by chaoscreature
Magdaddy,
If you really just need something that small you could almost just use the 12V compressor from the car to inflate tires.
I used to run two 5hp, 60 gallon compressors in tandem to keep up with HVLP spray guns and sand blasters. I just sold my spare 60gal for $120 on Craigslist. Considering I paid $100 for it 5 years ago a good compressor is a pretty solid investment compared to the cheapie ones. That being said my first compressor was a 5gal 1.5 HP 110V job and I used the heck out of it. You could bolt that to a wall or mount it in the ceiling rafters of your garage with a drop down hose reel... yeah that would be pretty trick.
I have a nice small compressor in the main garage, and I can wheel it around to the back shed when needed. That being said, I don't want to take up floor space, or ceiling/shelf space with any more than I need. A retractable hose reel would cost damn near as much as a cheap compressor too.

Somebody, somewhere must make a small wall mount unit with a coil hose...or something. I have always carried 12v compressors and jumper cables in every vehicle I have ever owned-no cables in the 4S though, It's just a pain to dig them out for a 30 second job of pumping up the mower or bagger tires, etc.
Old 08-03-2012, 12:59 AM
steve g
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Vince - I have had it for less than one year and the extended warranty is addittional 2 years.

Quick Reply: Garage Air Compressor Purchase Help