993 Forum 1995-1998

Oil Pressure Sensor/Sender DIY

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 12:18 PM
osugasman
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil Pressure Sensor/Sender DIY

Can anyone post a link with photos to a good DIY site for replacement of this piece without dropping engine?

FYI: USA car, not ROW, which apparently is much easier per a recent search on my behalf.

Thanks, Brian
Old 07-27-2012, 12:30 PM
CG901
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 3 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...ement-diy.html
Old 07-27-2012, 01:19 PM
PNogC2S
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

^ I think that is for a 996. My assumption is that you'd be looking for DIY on a 993 - since you posted here.

Since you have at 1996 you have Varioram, which means you need to remove the Varioram to get to the oil pressure (and temp) sending units. There is also an "o" ring just below both senders that should be replaced as a "while you are in there" kind of thing.

You can remove the Varioram w/o removing the engine, you can also remove it w/o loosening the engine mounts and lowering it. Once you've removed the hose clamps (x6) that holde the VR to the intake ports, you can lift the VR slightly and remove the the butterfly valve that sits on the underside of the VR near your fan/alternator... this provides a little extra wiggle room and you should replace the gasket on that butterfly assembly once it's out. By removing that item, you can follow the normal process for removing the VR w/o lowering the engine (I'm certain of this because I did it 3 weeks ago).

Search for VarioRam removal and you will get all the details on what to do and someone posted recently about the butterfly valve gasket, so that's in there too. It's not a difficult job, but it is kind of tedious and you have to make sure you get the throttle and cruise control linkages connected correctly.
Anyway, once the VR is out, the sender units are easy...just sitting there on top of the engine.
Old 07-28-2012, 12:59 AM
jakfrost
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a '95 with what seems to be a bad pressure sending unit...no VR but still lots of plastic sitting on the top of the engine.

Can you confirm the unit is on the 'top' of the engine? Just aft of the fan housing, or further back...?

Jim
Old 07-28-2012, 01:52 AM
burtraccoon
Banned

Yes thats where it is. If you follow the small rod that attaches to the compressor for the aircon back to where it is bolted to the top of the engine you will see the sender. Infact I'm sure the end of that bracket/rod is actually bolted to the same part. As you say behind the fan cowling behind the back intakes and to the right. It has a wire (obviously) coming out of it.

Hope this helps

Burt
Old 07-28-2012, 10:10 AM
jakfrost
Racer

Thanks Burt, as good as a map!

Jim
Old 07-28-2012, 11:01 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by jakfrost
Thanks Burt, as good as a map!

Jim
There you go, Jim....

Old 07-28-2012, 02:33 PM
jakfrost
Racer

WoW...looks like lots of stuff had to come off to get that picture! Thanks Alex, I appreciate it, but you didn't have to do that just to show me the location :-)

What a great forum!!

See you tomorrow...
Jim
Old 07-28-2012, 03:29 PM
burtraccoon
Banned

You can remove/replace it just by removing the airbox. Tight but very do-able.
Old 07-28-2012, 04:51 PM
osugasman
Racer

Man Alex,

Your engine is cleaner than my kitchen!!!

--Brian

Burt: I tried and couldn't get anywhere near it. You've got some mad skillz if you can pull that off. My hat's off to you, sir.
Old 07-28-2012, 05:40 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by osugasman
Man Alex,

Your engine is cleaner than my kitchen!!!
You ought to see my kitchen. But the shop, tools and car/motorcycles are clean. Priorities...priorities. I replaced my ignition leads and removed all engine parts in the process to inspect things after so many years.

Burt: I tried and couldn't get anywhere near it. You've got some mad skillz if you can pull that off.
Brian, getting to certain harder-to-get-to parts takes special wrenches sometimes. I don't have an oil pressure sender in front of me, but according to item drawings, that sending unit nut is 8 mm tall, so you'll need a thinner wrench. I have no idea what size the hex is, but the thread is an M18 x 1.5, so the hex would be larger...maybe 22 to 27 mm. A crowfoot with a universal joint and extensions might do the trick. Once it is loose, you can spin it off.

Maybe someone on RL that has a spare sitting on a bench can measure it up.
Old 07-28-2012, 11:04 PM
osugasman
Racer

Alex,

I have the crow's foot adapters plus the spare. However, with air filter box out, I couldn't even get around to feel it. Seems like the VR intake manifold would have to be removed. Eventually, I'll pull the motor for something and worry about it then. As carreraX said so eloquently, these things don't lack for oil pressure.
Old 07-30-2012, 04:50 PM
PNogC2S
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Alex,

I have the crow's foot adapters plus the spare. However, with air filter box out, I couldn't even get around to feel it. Seems like the VR intake manifold would have to be removed. Eventually, I'll pull the motor for something and worry about it then. As carreraX said so eloquently, these things don't lack for oil pressure.
Like I said earlier if you have VR you have to remove it to get to the pressure sender whle the engine is in the car. Those guys were talking about a '95 (No VR)...
Old 06-11-2020, 09:43 PM
IainM
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
I have no idea what size the hex is, but the thread is an M18 x 1.5, so the hex would be larger...maybe 22 to 27 mm.

Maybe someone on RL that has a spare sitting on a bench can measure it up.

it’s a skinny 24mm

Quick Reply: Oil Pressure Sensor/Sender DIY