993 Forum 1995-1998

It's not the starter, it's the ignition switch

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 12:20 PM
inkatouring
Three Wheelin'

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts
Default It's not the starter, it's the ignition switch

My "starter" problems (discussed here) turn out (pun intended) to be the ignition switch. This am, went to start car and it wouldn't, but I moved the key up a little while still turned and viola, it started.

Is there a DIY for ignition switch replacement? I did a search but could not find one -- which doesn't mean it doesn't exist, means I couldn't find it. TIA.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:32 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

NOT being in the business anymore, but certainly having memories of my time in it, this was so commonplace on the torsion bar cars that I kept a couple of assemblies in stock ready to be sent to the locksmith for rekeying. Guess it's not so much of an issue on these cars.
Old 06-26-2012, 06:52 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 825 Likes on 541 Posts

Originally Posted by inkatouring
My "starter" problems (discussed here) turn out (pun intended) to be the ignition switch. This am, went to start car and it wouldn't, but I moved the key up a little while still turned and viola, it started.

Is there a DIY for ignition switch replacement? I did a search but could not find one -- which doesn't mean it doesn't exist, means I couldn't find it. TIA.
if you stockpile Excellence magazines, look through the 2010 / 2011 issues.
Tony Callas did a lengthy tech talk article describing the R&R of switches.
Old 06-26-2012, 06:58 PM
993/907
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had the same prob couple years ago.
Replaced ignition switch (on back end of keyway), didn't fix it.
Replaced immobilzer module, still didn't fix.
Turned out to be the ignition keyway, which must be ordered from factory along with steering wheel lock.

Hope yours IS ignition switch.....let us know.

Gordo
Old 06-26-2012, 07:05 PM
inkatouring
Three Wheelin'

Thanks guys. Mine is not the immobilizer, as I can get it to start by moving the key around while turning the switch. But it could be the keyway and, in fact, very well may be, given the amount of play in the switch.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:26 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,448 Likes on 1,020 Posts

IF the key turns and no start it is the switch on the back of the key mechanism - easily replaced with hand tools.
If key won't turn first consider having a factory made delicate key as the key stalk can get out of shape after years of use. With a new factory cut key and you still have the problem take the column lock out and bring it to a lock smith who works on them. I cannot think of a reason why the lock would need to be replaced from Porsche at $600 each.
Old 06-27-2012, 01:34 AM
owen meany
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had this problem before (or something similar) with this very car. Thought I'd chime in and see if I could help.
It wasn't starting one night on the side of the road. Nothing happened with the key. No sounds or anything, just silence. Tried the switch in the fuse box (can't remember the name) that wasn't it.
S-Car-Go fixed it for around $700? They said it was the ignition switch. I think the paper work might be in the binder. Take a look and ask Rob about any warranty if it's the same problem. They said it was expensive because they had to remove the dash to get to it.
Good luck.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:19 AM
deekay911
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

I replaced the ignition switch a year or so back to solve a battery drain issue. It was a little fiddly but not hard. Helps if you are a gymnast. Here is the Pelican DIY I used:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...on-switch.html
Old 06-28-2012, 11:44 AM
inkatouring
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by owen meany
I have had this problem before (or something similar) with this very car. Thought I'd chime in and see if I could help.
It wasn't starting one night on the side of the road. Nothing happened with the key. No sounds or anything, just silence. Tried the switch in the fuse box (can't remember the name) that wasn't it.
S-Car-Go fixed it for around $700? They said it was the ignition switch. I think the paper work might be in the binder. Take a look and ask Rob about any warranty if it's the same problem. They said it was expensive because they had to remove the dash to get to it.
Good luck.
Scot, I found the receipt. They replaced it July of 2010 (2.6 hours of labor, BTW). I have not changed the switch yet, so I'm not sure that is the problem, but the symptoms are pretty clear. So, it is weird that it didn't even last two years....
Old 06-29-2012, 12:32 AM
inkatouring
Three Wheelin'

It was the switch -- which fell apart when the plug on the back was taken off. All is better now...

Scot sent you a PM.

Quick Reply: It's not the starter, it's the ignition switch