Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

The Hidden Workshops of Porsche Classic

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 11:12 AM
dboeren
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome video. It's amazing that they have so much dedication to their cars to do things like this.
Old 08-07-2014, 03:29 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

^^ +1!
Originally Posted by Mike J

Cool! I wonder how long it will run at the museum?
Originally Posted by jotaking

Great Video..

Thanks for posting
Originally Posted by nycarrera

Bad *** ..... Thanks for sharing!
Glad everyone enjoyed. I'd LUV to see a 993 in the show

Mike-- IIRC, most museum displays are in place for ~2-3 months.
Originally Posted by bart1

I have seen the garage where they keep the spare cars. A friend of mine worked at Porsche. He has some cool stories. Another friend works at Weissach.
Bart-- Those are great friends to have.
I liked reading similar posts you made about a trip or 2 to Germany, etc., where you had good times driving with friends
Old 09-16-2014, 11:19 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by uniquenamehere

Very nice... I'd really like to see that prototypes display at the Porsche Museum!
Originally Posted by Mike J

Cool! I wonder how long it will run at the museum?
More info on the exhibit & its dates are now on the Museum's "Exhibitions" page

Old 09-17-2014, 11:29 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

On the Porsche Club of America's e-mail blast this week are more details
via autos.yahoo.com's "Catch a Glimpse of 5 Rare Porsche Prototypes" article.

Excerpt:
Originally Posted by autos.yahoo.com

Every auto show seems to bring with it not just an amazing display of production cars, but a selection of prototypes for cars that we may see in the future. Some of those prototypes eventually make it to production with slight changes. Others look completely different and others still never go beyond that initial prototype. You can now see some of Porsche’s most amazing prototypes at a new exhibit at the Porsche Museum.

These are just five of the vehicles that will be on display at the Porsche Museum, which will include a total of 14 different cars, also miniatures from the archives as well as films of vehicle testing.

The exhibit debuts on Sept. 17 and will be open to the public until January 11, 2015.

Old 09-17-2014, 11:40 AM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by curve lover
Bart-- Those are great friends to have.
I liked reading similar posts you made about a trip or 2 to Germany, etc., where you had good times driving with friends
I havbe been fortunate enough to visit 7 times now. Went to the LeMans display at the museum this year. Also went to Ruf, but it was on Sunday and they were closed. Decided to go to Freisinger on Monday, which was a complete waste of time.
Old 09-17-2014, 01:39 PM
993Mpls
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

That 989 looks so much better than the Panamera.
Old 09-30-2014, 09:31 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

^^ Does at least have more of the classic shape applied to a 4-door.

Bart-- Thanks for the update; surprised to hear Freisinger was under-whelming:
A friend of mine took a tour there, & came away with some impressive photos of rarities from their collections in storage.

Just found this photo from Porsche's storage:
1984 Porsche 911 Aerodynamic Prototype, built by Porsche to test aerodynamic features and concepts that were eventually introduced in 964 and 993 models.

^^ By flickr.com's Auto Clasico.
Old 09-30-2014, 03:55 PM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bart-- Thanks for the update; surprised to hear Freisinger was under-whelming:
A friend of mine took a tour there, & came away with some impressive photos of rarities from their collections in storage.

Freisinger are A-HOLES> "No visitors, no photos - we have to ask you to leave." His wife was the one behind the desk. Apparently they have always been this way. Definitely had some cool cars there, but with that attitude - screw 'em!. Also, they had noce old 964 and 993 racecars sitting out in the parking lot with water standing in the floorboards. Could at least throw a car cover over them.
Old 10-22-2014, 12:55 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Freisinger had nice 964 and 993 racecars sitting out in the parking lot with water standing in the floorboards. Could at least throw a car cover over them.

"No visitors, no photos - we have to ask you to leave." Definitely had some cool cars there, but with that attitude - screw 'em!
Can't blame you for wanting to leave
I've heard rumors that their vaults of rare parts exceed even Porsche's & RUF's for certain models.
Guess friend just had good luck or timing. He mentioned extremely rare 959 parts he got to see, etc. A small sampling of his pics are on the "Speedster type 993 photo thread" thread.

Freisinger brand-new shots:

Old 10-23-2014, 12:56 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Freisinger had some cool cars
Found another Freisinger facility photo, posted 2009 on the Speedster type 993 photo thread:
Old 10-25-2014, 09:25 AM
908/3fan
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

The 959 prototype looks great!
Old 10-25-2014, 01:18 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 908/3fan

959 prototype looks great!
Knowatchamean
My eye continually goes back to that 1 photo (above). LUV the details, wheels, contrasting colored panels, etc. Arguably has the look of project car, yet the significance of the 959's future that followed.

More of that & the rest of the exhibit are featured in this month's Total 911 magazine:
Originally Posted by Total 911

For the latest issue of Total 911, Lee took a trip to a secret Zuffenhausen lockup that houses hundreds of cars not normally seen by the paying public at the Porsche Museum. After seeing these stunning photos, you’ll probably want to live in this awesome facility. Enjoy:

To read all about Lee’s visit to the Porsche Museum’s secret warehouse, pick up a copy of Total 911 issue 119, available in store and online now. Alternatively, you can download your copy straight to a digital device.
Old 10-26-2014, 12:52 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

To read all about Total 911's visit to the Porsche Museum’s secret warehouse, pick up a copy of issue 119, available in store and online now. Alternatively, you can download your copy straight to a digital device.
Old 10-31-2014, 02:35 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Porsche motorcycle!

To read all about Total 911's visit to the Porsche Museum’s secret warehouse, pick up a copy of issue 119, available in store and online now. Alternatively, you can download your copy straight to a digital device.
Old 11-01-2014, 05:06 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

From boldRide.com's recent "Get a Glimpse at Secrets of the Porsche Warehouse:"
Posted on 17 October 2014 by Keith Griffin

Located in Germany is a place so special any true car nut would want to go there. Heck, I might even call it the mecca: the Porsche Warehouse. Now you can see the secrets that lurk inside.

There are more than 500 vehicles in the collection. Obviously they couldn’t display them all at once or the janitors would be too busy mopping up from heads exploding from the total awesomeness.

The Porsche Warehouse includes projects Porsche made for other companies like Audi and Seat as well as a Russian manufacturer and Chinese family car. It features the Porsche 996 Bulletproof (that weighs about 3 tons!), the 924 World Record Car (which the curator claims Porsche “almost forgot about) a one-of-a-kind 928 convertible, and the 984 Porsche Junior among others.

One of the most unique vehicles in the collection is the first 911 turbo. It was a birthday present in 1973 for Louisa Porsche, daughter of the founder. Louisa, an artist, made it her private car and, for some reason unexplained, had the turbo badges taken off it.

Here’s a massive understatement from the museum’s curator: “This facility is not a normal warehouse.” It’s also moved up to number one on my bucket list.

You can feel, you can see, you can smell the Porsche heritage of the last eight decades. It’s a heritage behind locked doors and its location is only hinted at as in the suburbs of Stuttgart, Germany.

Quick Reply: The Hidden Workshops of Porsche Classic