Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Stereo upgrade?

Old 04-19-2012, 08:54 PM
palmfish
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stereo upgrade?

I'm wondering if anyone has upgraded their stock head-unit with a more modern aftermarket unit.

I just got done with a three day ordeal with Best Buy because the head-unit I purchased isn't compatible with the factory amp. I'm not an expert, but the tech told me that the factory system uses a "common ground" and modern head units use a "floating ground."

I don't exactly know what this means, but the result was that the speakers were all out of balance with each other and the fader and balance controls didn't work properly. I got the store manager involved and he agreed to reinstall my original head unit (an Alpine CD deck) and refund my installation charges.

I've searched the threads and haven't found anything on this topic, but I can't believe I'm not the first person who wants to control an iPod and add bluetooth to my 993. I also hate how aftermarket the factory Alpine stereo looks - the layout of the buttons and green glow just don't belong in the 993.

Any advice / experience with adding a new head unit would be greatly appreciated!

v/r
Old 04-19-2012, 10:12 PM
Linnm
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used the McIntosh 406 and am very happy with the look and the performance. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles that you may want
Old 04-19-2012, 10:30 PM
element
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Factory amp - ditch it.. it's a PIA to get working and anything new will have more power output anyways.. i just ran cable from the head unit, under the passenger side footwell to the AMP - attached to speakers there.

I went with a blaupunkt Toronto BT

phil.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:33 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

This might help:

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-turb...ng-stereo.html
Old 04-20-2012, 12:52 AM
palmfish
Advanced

element - The installer told me that the crossovers for the speakers are probably in the factory amp and if I use a new amp, I'll have to get new crossovers too. I definitely do not want to buy a whole new system - I'm just looking for a modern head unit with amber lighting. I don't even care if it sounds better.

No HTwo O - Thanks for the link! I googled that Becker head unit a few days ago and it appears to be a discontinued model. I think there's a place in New York that sells them though so I'll look into it. I'll PM the member in the thread you linked who bought one.
Old 04-20-2012, 01:43 AM
rosenpilot
3rd Gear

try a Becker Grand Prix radio. It slides right in and uses all the same connections, plus it has bluetooth and ipod. It looks stock. I got mine directly from Becker radio in NJ, great guys.
Old 04-20-2012, 01:53 AM
element
Pro

palmfish - the PO on my car added a new HU, amps, bunch of other boxes, speakers and crossovers.. so the setup worked for me lucky.. I also only wanted something that works - I listen to the engine
Old 04-20-2012, 07:34 AM
coreseller
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 51 Posts

I changed all the audio equipment out earlier this year, Blaupunkt Toronto 410 BT (glare from unit face is annoying, Blue Tooth is Great though) that has plenty of power on it's own to push the new Polk speakers (Front Components and Rear Coax). Best part is all in for $400 and a few hours install time.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:58 AM
E4VLL
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rosenpilot
try a Becker Grand Prix radio. It slides right in and uses all the same connections, plus it has bluetooth and ipod. It looks stock. I got mine directly from Becker radio in NJ, great guys.
I thought Becker went out of business and stopped producing headunits?

Do they have NOS (new old stock)?

Also, the Grand Prix that fits the 993 is the 7990 - which one have to fitted and was it to the 993?

I'm looking at a replacement for the 'disco ball' one of the previous owners fitted to my 993, hence the questions.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:33 AM
element
Pro

Originally Posted by coreseller
I changed all the audio equipment out earlier this year, Blaupunkt Toronto 410 BT (glare from unit face is annoying, Blue Tooth is Great though) that has plenty of power on it's own to push the new Polk speakers (Front Components and Rear Coax). Best part is all in for $400 and a few hours install time.
glare is the only think I don't like as well... ive always wondered if there's an anti-glare sticker we could put over the display... need to research

phil.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:30 PM
luckyJ
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I just got a quote from becker autosound for a Becker Grand Prix 7990 w/ aux or standard Iphone cable...$649.99....not cheap
Old 04-20-2012, 12:59 PM
element
Pro

I got mine from shimstech.com when i was in Toronto (local pickup) over the winter.. good selection and pricing - this stuff is hard to find!

phil.
Old 04-20-2012, 02:06 PM
993Ernie
1st Gear

re: glare
I'm not sure if this would do it, but there are anti-glare protector screens for smartphones that could be cut to fit...
Old 04-20-2012, 02:52 PM
JGB
Instructor

I just replaced an older Pioneer that came with the car. Horribly interface (all buttons) and barely working.
I worked at a high end Stereo store several life times ago and went there and said put in whatever you think is right.
The head unit is a Nakamichi CD 500. An older design, very good sound but no blue tooth, sat radio, IPOD interface. Does play MP3/WMA and has an aux. Clean simple look that matches the interior well. Expensive but I still get employee pricing after not working there for 30 years. Also replaced all speakers (except the door tweeters) with Bostons.

Jim
Old 04-21-2012, 09:22 AM
rosenpilot
3rd Gear

Becker in NJ still has NOS (new old stock). I got mine about three weeks ago, and at that time they said they had 40 left. The radio was an easy install and everything works except for the AM stations due to the fact that this is a European version and they tune slightly different. I can still get most am stations,just not perfect. To be honest I rarely listen to the radio so its not a big deal, I just needed the ipod and bluetooth part.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stereo upgrade?