993 Forum 1995-1998

Baby car seat for rear seats of 993

Old 04-09-2008, 02:45 AM
henrymug
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Baby car seat for rear seats of 993

any suggestions for the topic?

I heard that the Britax aroundabout can fit, it that true?

any photos?

I do not prefer the DIY suggestions as reported which is too complicated for me.

thanks.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:51 AM
Reuben
Addict
Rennlist Member

Britax is indeed the way to go (no affiliation etc.). In addition, I purchased two tightening clamps (at Babies 'R' Us) to ensure that the seats are tight and snug.

Last edited by Reuben; 04-09-2013 at 11:51 AM.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:53 AM
murfysflaw
Wallflower
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Henry... is it a coupe or a cab? If it's a cab, that big center hump makes it more difficult. I decided not to try and wait until they can get in a booster. My oldest can so he can ride in the back now, but my youngest is still supposed to be strapped into one of those... so she cannot. There are a few threads with recommendations as well...
Old 04-09-2008, 11:04 AM
henrymug
Advanced

thanks for the help!!!

Reuben, do you have photos of the tightening clamps? what is it? extra holding is a plus for sure.

Murfysflaw, mine is a 993 C4 of 1994 coupe of hongkong, and my son is only 5mth old. definitely need a baby seat.

And preferably, rear facing installation.

there is no Britax USA distributor in hk, but luckily, I have found a used one who has imported the model from aboard.
Old 04-09-2008, 12:51 PM
murfysflaw
Wallflower
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by henrymug
thanks for the help!!!

Reuben, do you have photos of the tightening clamps? what is it? extra holding is a plus for sure.

Murfysflaw, mine is a 993 C4 of 1994 coupe of hongkong, and my son is only 5mth old. definitely need a baby seat.

And preferably, rear facing installation.

there is no Britax USA distributor in hk, but luckily, I have found a used one who has imported the model from aboard.
Cool. I suspect it'll be easier in a coupe.
Old 04-09-2008, 01:55 PM
911C2
Racer

I purchased a car seat that fits (radian 65 amazing steel construction), width height depth but I have a peoblem securing it. I have a clamp, the little H thing I use in another car, my issue though is the fact that the seatbelt buckle pivots and so even after the seat is in place, seatbelt tight, H thing in place to not allos the seatbelt to slide int eh buckle, I can still pull the bottom of the car seat forward 6 or so inches .

How did you solve that?
Old 04-09-2008, 02:07 PM
993USMC
Racer

I would like some more info on the seat pictured... What model Britax is that? Is the base removed?
I have a seven month old and a seven year old. The 993 is a great family car!

Thanks,
Doug

Originally Posted by Reuben
Britax is indeed the way to go (no affiliation etc.). In addition, I purchased two tightening clamps (at Babies 'R' Us) to ensure that the seats are tight and snug.
Old 04-09-2008, 02:55 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Britax did some OEM work for Fisher-Price a while back. Now it's all on close-out sale, if you can find it. I bought one of these "convertibles" for smaller kids. Love it, made in USA. Haven't tried it in the 993 yet:

http://www.albeebaby.com/fiprsavodeco1.html

I use this one in the Corolla, but I bought it becuase it's supposed to fit 993. Seem less bulky than my Britax/FP. It's OK, but not Britax quality, plus I hate WalMart:
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=8054497

For bigger kids, the F-P booster is said to be the same as the discontinued yet desireable Britax Star Riser, which I think is the same as one of the Porsche seats, which I'm told does fit 993. I bought TWO of them at $40; now they're almost free, and cross country shipping was only $5!:

http://www.albeebaby.com/fisher-pric...-tan-tech.html
Old 04-09-2008, 03:18 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 911C2
so even after the seat is in place, seatbelt tight, H thing in place to not allos the seatbelt to slide int eh buckle, I can still pull the bottom of the car seat forward 6 or so inches .

How did you solve that?
By modifying the seat, or fabricating a subframe that moves the mounting points down and to the rear. Neither option being the sort of thing you can recommend to others on a public forum.

You're right though. Given the location of the seatbelt hardpoints, there isn't a car seat around that will mount truly securely. Not even Porsche could figure it out, which is why they used that horrible 1970s design for the Porsche Prince.

Only you can weigh the safety unknowns of using uncertified hardware vs. the certified but known to be loose seatbelt method.
Old 04-09-2008, 03:55 PM
Smindustries
Advanced

Originally Posted by dcdude68
For bigger kids, the F-P booster is said to be the same as the discontinued yet desireable Britax Star Riser, which I think is the same as one of the Porsche seats, which I'm told does fit 993. I bought TWO of them at $40; now they're almost free, and cross country shipping was only $5!:

http://www.albeebaby.com/fisher-pric...-tan-tech.html
I have a Recaro Vivo and my problem is that the left rear seatbelt is not long enough to go around my son and latch. Are the rear belts abnormally short?

In the interest of full disclosure, I only tried to fit him into it once, when I got the vehicle in October. I haven't tried since and cannot try this evening, as the car has been at the body shop since the day after I tried to fit the seat.
Old 04-09-2008, 04:03 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Something to factor in, as I've been trying to figure this out both for the 993 and for my Manhattan beater, a Celica. Both are convertibles.

A) The cabriolet 993 is narrower than the coupe, and the belts are reversed, making things even more tough than the already tough coupe.
B) You have to measure your own level of risk you are comfy with. Risk is introduced if the seats are not secured as per the child seat manufacturer's specs.
C) AND THIS IS A DOOZY...PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do your own research on relatively new findings on how long infants and toddlers should remain rearward facing. Check out www.thecarseatlady.com and www.carseatdata.org. The net net of the research is that the "20 lbs AND one year" to go forward facing is only the legal minimum. ALL child seat manufacturers and child auto safety advocates are recommending, nearly demanding, that you keep the child rearward facing until the max of the seat. In other words, many of the convertible seats will have specs something like "Rear facing 35 inches tall OR 35 pounds; forward facing 42 inches tall and 60 pounds" (these numbers are made up). They therefore recommend strongly that you keep the child rearward facing until EITHER s/he is taller than 35 inches OR weighs more than 35 lbs. Then you go forward facing until EITHER 42 inches OR 60 pounds, THEN you go to a booster.

This recommendation is due to studies showing that due to the large mass of a small child's head relative to the impact dynamics, children are something like 4x more likely to suffer traumatic neck injuries when forward facing (makes sense...they are in a 5 point, strapped in like for a DE, but they have a big ol' noggin and no helmet or HANS).

I have yet to see any seat in the 993 that is even remotely close to fitting rearward facing. I'm not making any judgements on anyone putting forward facing in place, as long as it is with this knowledge in hand. Just don't make the choice because of the common "wisdom" of 20 lbs and one year.

Does that mean I'm going to wait until my kid is practically a teenager to put him in the 993? No. I will someday find a seat that fits in my cab, and probably go forward facing on the random days we take the 911 out for a family trip. But I will probably wait longer than my current 32 inch / 22 lb little guy, unfortunately.

Prob more info than you wanted, didn't mean to sound soap boxish if I did, but I implore you to please look at the new info available and make your own decision.

Just my $.02 FWIW.
Old 04-09-2008, 04:37 PM
993USMC
Racer

Chuck,
Would you be willing to test fit this seat in your 993? I'm very interested in purchasing a seat.

Thanks,
Doug

Originally Posted by dcdude68
Britax did some OEM work for Fisher-Price a while back. Now it's all on close-out sale, if you can find it. I bought one of these "convertibles" for smaller kids. Love it, made in USA. Haven't tried it in the 993 yet:

http://www.albeebaby.com/fiprsavodeco1.html
Old 04-09-2008, 05:07 PM
guiness
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I fit the Britax Parkway booster in the rear of my cab and can have two at a time without issue. That is a booster and is not for smaller kids. I have been using those since my two eldest were 3 and 5.
Old 04-09-2008, 05:26 PM
midcont
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by JPS
They therefore recommend strongly that you keep the child rearward facing until EITHER s/he is taller than 35 inches OR weighs more than 35 lbs. Then you go forward facing until EITHER 42 inches OR 60 pounds, THEN you go to a booster.
Yeah but where will a 3' tall kids legs go if the seat is rearward facing?
Old 04-09-2008, 05:47 PM
murfysflaw
Wallflower
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 993USMC
Chuck,
Would you be willing to test fit this seat in your 993? I'm very interested in purchasing a seat.

Thanks,
Doug
That's the one I have from FP. It fits better than any others I've seen when adjusted to it's narrowest setting, but in a cab it is still a bit wobbly. Just doesn't go all the way in like I'd like. In a coupe I bet it'd be perfect.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Baby car seat for rear seats of 993