Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

60K Service -- Parts and Cost

Old 03-06-2012, 02:14 AM
Georj
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 60K Service -- Parts and Cost

I just did 60K service on my 1997 993 C4S. It has 57K miles on it. I replaced the following parts.

Spark plugs (12) ( Bosch FR5 DTC)
Distributor caps (2) (Bosch)
Rotors (2) (Bosch)
Fan belt (Porsche)
Alternator belt (Porsche)
AC belt (Porsche)
Air filter (Mahle)
Fuel Filter (Mahle)
Rear Diff/gear oil (Mobil 75w90 Delvac Synthetic)
Front differential oil (Mobil 75w90 Delvac Synthetic)
Clutch flush (ATE SuperGold DOT4 Type 200)
Power Steering Fluid flush (Pentosin CHF202)
Front brake rotors (Porsche)
Front brake pads (Textar)
Flushed brake fluid (ATE SuperGold DOT4 Type 200)
Wiper Blades
Cleaned ISV

I purchased the brake rotors, belts and brake shims from Sunset.

Mobil Delvac gear oil from Lufteknic.

Rest from Autohausaz.

Since this job was beyond my DIY capability I took it to Josh, a trained Porsche mechanic.
Since we did this in his home garage, we did not have access to a lift. It took us approximately 8 hours for everything.

Total cost = $1500 (Parts and labor)

I had recently changed engine oil and both oil filters and cabin filters, that is why they are not in the list.

After everything was done, we went for a test drive.

WOW! What a difference.

The car runs much smoother. I can tell the difference, especially when shifting.

I think the Mobil Delvac synthetic gear and differential oil has lot to do with the smoothness. At first I was hesitant to use Delvac because Mobil website states it is not for lsd. I was very confused so I called our resident expert Steve Weiner, who convinced me that Mobil Delvac was the way to go.

Thank you Steve

In the process I also found a great Porsche wrench. He is factory trained on Porsches, Ferraris and Maseratis. He also has trackside experience with race teams. He knows what he is doing. I saw him work on my car, and he treated it as if it was his own car. And the best part is that his charges are very reasonable. If you live in the Bay Area and you are looking for a reliable mechanic who will not fleece you, and will do an expert job, I highly recommend Josh Bare (480) 287-3517.

Georj
1997 993 C4s
Old 03-06-2012, 09:22 AM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 133 Posts

What was the condition of the plug wires? Were they ever replaced?
Old 03-06-2012, 10:50 AM
skl2
Rennlist Member

Received 281 Likes on 146 Posts

I just did my 60k service this past winter as well...did it myself...the plugs were by far the worst part, but I noticed the same thing you did - the car runs so much better! After reading your list, the only thing I didnt do was the power steering fluid, so now I must do that
Old 03-06-2012, 11:12 AM
element
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I just did the plug wires... mine had some cracks (cali car.. 55k) It was a PIA to do, but a fun project and am 100x faster now :P.. getting access to the upper passenger side was the hardest part with removing the engine tray.. and routing the pass side wires over the engine :S

I need to do brakes + PS fluid and im 100% complete with 60k.

phil.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:40 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

That sounds like a good deal for all the work involved.

The spark plug wires, IMHO, are not a scheduled replacement but should be inspected, especially on the lower side - the right hand side lower cover has the wires take some nasty 90 to 180 degree turns which is where typical cracks develop.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 03-06-2012, 01:26 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Georj
I just did 60K service on my 1997 993 C4S.

In the process I also found a great Porsche wrench. He is factory trained on Porsches, Ferraris and Maseratis. He also has trackside experience with race teams. He knows what he is doing. I saw him work on my car, and he treated it as if it was his own car. And the best part is that his charges are very reasonable. If you live in the Bay Area and you are looking for a reliable mechanic who will not fleece you, and will do an expert job, I highly recommend Josh Bare (480) 287-3517.

Georj
1997 993 C4s
Hey Georj, Josh's number must be a cel phone? Area code 480 is Arizona .. what area in the Bay area is he located? Work out of his house?
Also, yes, sounds like a heck of a deal especially with front brakes done and all .. nice find :-)
Old 03-06-2012, 01:37 PM
77'3.6vram
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$1500.00 is totally unrealistic. Most shops will charge twice that for the work listed.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:47 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here was my 60k tune from 2007.......You name it, I had it done. I spent around $6k or so this trip to the shop.

Walking into a 60k from my experience, I took zero short cuts and just went for it. Its about 23 hours worth of labor and $3400 in parts ($1950 suspension, $1400 in 60k mandatory and misc parts)

For those creaping up on their 1st 60k tune, food for thought on the following.

TO BE DONE
(Note: * denotes parts supplied by me)
1. * Suspension upgrade:
a. 4 X Bilstein HD shocks (with 30mm extra threads)
b. 4 X ROW M030 Springs
c. Front 22mm M030 Sway Bar
d. Rear 20mm M030 Sway Bar
e. Rear Drop Links
f. Front Drop Links
g. KLA Strut brace install

2. * Change spark plug wires-Beru
3. * Change air inject check valve (SAI check valve)
4. * Change both cabin air/pollen filters
5. * Change the engine air filter
6. * Change all 12 spark plugs (yea, esp. # 12 that, I know, is a PITA)
7. * Change both distributor caps
8. * Change both distributor rotors
9. * Change fuel filter
10. * Change engine oil (I will supply 10Q Mobil 1 - 15W50)
11. * Change large oil filter
12. * Change small oil filter
13. * Change A/C compressor drive belt
14. * Change Alternator drive belt (inner)
15. * Change Alternator drive belt (outer)
16. * Change power steering belt
17. * change ignation coil wire
18. Change manual transmission fluid. REDLINE
19. Bleed/flush the clutch hydraulic system
20. Bleed the brakes
Note The brake system was completely flushed less than 7 months ago so the
(ATE super blue)
21. Please perform all the (remaining) normal checks, lubrications etc. as
specified in the
60k service interval. In particular, please re-lubricate/check tolerances of
the manual
transmission gear-shift linkages/bushings etc.
22. Remove and Clean ISV
23. Replace front hood shocks

**THE UNEXPECTED**
-belt tension indicator-bearing was froze.
-Ignition coil-shot for the most part
-Distributor rebuild
Old 03-07-2012, 01:04 AM
Georj
Intermediate

Since a number of questions were raised, I will answer all of them here rather than reply indvidually.

1. I did not change the spark plug wires. Did not see any cracks. Also it is not listed in the 60K service. I believe it is a 100K service.

2. Josh's number is (480) 287-3517. This is not a typo. This is his cell phone number. Yes he moved to the Bay Area from Arizona where he worked for Porsche dealership. He lives in Petaluma, CA and works out of his home garage. The only drawback is that without a lift, it takes longer to do some of the work under the car. I live in Fremont and it was over an hour drive for me to go to him. But it was worth it. As you can see I not only saved a decent chunk of money, I also got top notch pro service.

3. "1500 is unrealistic for all the service". Yes, it does sound like that. But that is because we have all gotten used to paying unrealistic labor rates applied to factory quoted labor hours for a job. Leave alone the "Stealers", even most Indies charge for each job at the factory quoted hours even though they may be doing all of it at the same time and it does not take that much time to do it. An honest mechanic (rare breed) does not do that and only charges fair rates for the actual time spent. This was my experience with Josh.

Also I forgot to mention in my post that he did complete inspection of the car. Found my steering rack boots are torn and need replacing. OUCH! Left bank chain housing is leaking, but not too bad and front diff is leaking but not too bad. And yes my AC evaporator is leaking too! I guess the car is showing its age
Old 03-11-2012, 02:03 PM
Renn Wrench
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey George, thanks for the kind words. Its always a pleasure to meet a fellow Porshche lover. To all the others viewing, there is a good reason for the discounted labor rates. Like George mentioned I am currently doing work out of my garage so the lack of overhead is the main reason, second is the fact that for most people Petaluma is a big drive. This is a side business for me at the moment (which will grow soon) and since I dont have a big beautiful shop to attract customers so I use my Pride in my work, my experience and a discounted rate. Like George said I have many years of dealer experience along with time working for one of the best Porsche tuners out there. So whether you need some routine maintenance or need your turbos upgraded keep me in mind. PM me or give me a call
Old 03-11-2012, 02:09 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 444 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Renn Wrench
Hey George, thanks for the kind words. Its always a pleasure to meet a fellow Porshche lover. To all the others viewing, there is a good reason for the discounted labor rates. Like George mentioned I am currently doing work out of my garage so the lack of overhead is the main reason, second is the fact that for most people Petaluma is a big drive. This is a side business for me at the moment (which will grow soon) and since I dont have a big beautiful shop to attract customers so I use my Pride in my work, my experience and a discounted rate. Like George said I have many years of dealer experience along with time working for one of the best Porsche tuners out there. So whether you need some routine maintenance or need your turbos upgraded keep me in mind. PM me or give me a call
You service the eastcoast?
Old 03-11-2012, 03:42 PM
jnoble79
Rennlist Member

Those on east coast should do a "group buy" where in we fly Josh out to the tri-state area to some bulk scheduled maintenance! What a ridiculous suggestion. . . . . But seriously. . . .
Old 01-19-2016, 12:40 PM
dhc905
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Btw, just got my car back from Josh (he opened his own shop called bare European). He's still in the business and is just getting it up.

I wrote him a 5* review (and there's a picture of my 964 on the website now!). Prices and workmanship are stellar.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/bare-european-petaluma

I know this is an old thread, but since I rennfaxed him on this thread, figured I would return the favor.

Doesn't hurt that he worked at both Porsche and Ferrari dealerships as a mechanic before branching out on his own.
Old 01-19-2016, 02:16 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice to see guys making it at this level. Of course I did the opposite in opening the Porsche/BMW shop out of college in Phoenix (30 years ago???), then the home garage thing five years later when business just started appearing in the driveway, and it was a great diversion from law school.
Old 01-19-2016, 02:36 PM
dhc905
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

hmm, how did I miss that you ran your own shop last time we got together?

But I agree, in a world of consolidation, it is refreshing to see a guy leave a secure job at Ferrari SF, move to Petaluma, and open a shop on a goat farm. I was definitely skeptical driving to a goat farm, but Josh has a lease on a barn and has his lifts/alignment machines in there. Kind of gives new meaning to barn find when he opened the (barn) doors and there's a grey ferrari and my porsche hanging out there...

Originally Posted by race911
Nice to see guys making it at this level. Of course I did the opposite in opening the Porsche/BMW shop out of college in Phoenix (30 years ago???), then the home garage thing five years later when business just started appearing in the driveway, and it was a great diversion from law school.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 60K Service -- Parts and Cost