Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Part number for footwell lamp (option XX2)

Old 01-21-2012, 03:29 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Part number for footwell lamp (option XX2)

Anyone know the part number for the footwell lamp shown below next to the gas pedal?

It is the only lighting inside a Carrera RS (which has no ceiling lamps) and standard on Cabrio as well an option (code XX2) for other 993 cars.

I can't find it in PET.

Thanks to Dudley for the picture below.

Old 06-11-2013, 01:11 AM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

Is there a way to control the footwell lights or is the operation fixed to the doors open/close?

The footwell option # XX2 had a USA dealership cost of $484.00 / $604.00 retail.
Pricey for what has to be generic VW lighting part..

When ordering the 993 the XX2 footwell lighting option made the long options list..... but in the end was eventually dropped from the actual order list. Oh well.
Old 06-11-2013, 02:28 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by M. Schneider
Is there a way to control the footwell lights or is the operation fixed to the doors oepn/close?

The footwell option # XX2 had a USA dealership cost of $484.00 / $604.00 retail.
Pricey for what has to be generic VW lighting part..

When ordering the 993 the XX2 footwell lighting option made the long options list..... but in the end was eventually dropped from the actual order list. Oh well.
The console lamps are operated by the doors and replace the lamps that are not in the ceiling in an RS or convertible. The wiring harness in the RS and convertibles is configured to connect the lamps under the dash rather than at the rear bulkhead as in normal coupe.

The center console has plastic break away sections to install the lamps. One can remove the console and break away the plug sections, cut the carpet (make an X and fold the points of carpet inward to glue) and then clip in the lamps.

The lamps are the same part number lamp that is under the front hood and over the engine 959.632.201.00 (or now 997.632.201.00).

The wiring harness would need to be cut into to wire the lamps up. The two lamps are wired in parallel.
Old 06-11-2013, 03:15 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Hey Cupcar -
A big ole Danke Schon for the detail.
Old 06-11-2013, 03:31 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Cupcar
...edit/delete... "The wiring harness in the RS and convertibles is configured to connect the lamps under the dash rather than at the rear bulkhead as in normal coupe."
This is an important detail ^^^ Contrast the wiring schematic of the coupe vs convertible and a retro fit should straight forward; by way of a step or two.
Old 06-11-2013, 04:20 PM
uicnick
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 THANKS, THANKS, and thanks again cupcar! This is one of those items i've had on my to do list, your explanation made me realize that with breakaways already in place this will be less of a hack job than I thought previously. Always thought footwell lighting was one of the best options to get.
Old 06-11-2013, 04:54 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

It is interesting that the basic console is the same for all cars. There is a breakout for the airbag dash reinforcement used in cars so equipped and the lamp breakouts for those applications.

I filled in the airbag strut breakout and opened the lamp cutouts to create an RS style console after I removed my airbags. The supplies one needs to fill the airbag strut cutout is a piece of ABS plastic and ABS pipe cement from a hardware store.

Old 06-11-2013, 05:59 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

Cupcar, '95 cabs do not have footwell lights. Not sure if other years do by default or as an option only.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:30 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nile13
Cupcar, '95 cabs do not have footwell lights. Not sure if other years do by default or as an option only.
HMM...interesting, maybe there is only one light in the convertible and not two in the footwell.

The wiring diagram shows the two options: "INSIDE LIGHTS CONVERTIBLE" and "INSIDE LIGHT COUPE LEFT AND RIGHT".

The convertible option, which only has one lamp shown, has next to it the statement: : "FOR RS: 2 LAMPS PARALLEL".

So, I guess the convertible has one lamp somewhere else than the foot well and RS has two in foot well.

Good point.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:40 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

The cabs, at least '95 cabs, have a single overhead light. It's located in the frame of the windshield between the two sunvisors. Horrible design that keeps falling out of its socket constantly, but that's another story.

Dave's car pictured above was a '96 IIRC and it has ignition key light which '95s didn't have either. '95s, however, has light in the key itself German engineering - design something completely non-functional, then design a solution to fix that while making sure original design remains in place. Repeat as nauseum
Old 06-12-2013, 12:50 AM
uicnick
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nile13
The cabs, at least '95 cabs, have a single overhead light. It's located in the frame of the windshield between the two sunvisors. Horrible design that keeps falling out of its socket constantly, but that's another story.

Dave's car pictured above was a '96 IIRC and it has ignition key light which '95s didn't have either. '95s, however, has light in the key itself German engineering - design something completely non-functional, then design a solution to fix that while making sure original design remains in place. Repeat as nauseum
Dude, i hate the key light. It barely works and the lack of lighting around the key hole really sucks. Another thing on my list of things to upgrade in the interior
Old 06-12-2013, 01:06 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

I've put LED into my key, it's a little better than the dim incandescent bulb.

There's also a write-up about installing the ignition light standard in '96+ cars into older '95s. Requires some drilling.
Old 04-21-2015, 01:16 PM
Jlaa
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 121 Posts

[QUOTE=Cupcar;10531095]It is interesting that the basic console is the same for all cars. There is a breakout for the airbag dash reinforcement used in cars so equipped and the lamp breakouts for those applications.

<snip>

Hello all!

I am curious to know if anyone has retrofitted their center console with footwell lights, and where the best place to tap into the car's wiring is. (I would be doing this on a coupe, meaning I already have the lights above the doorframes.) I would attempt to be as clear as possible with the wiring - i.e. not cuts if possible (if I could source extra OE electrical connectors). If cuts are necessary, I would use OEM-grade automotive electrical connectors (no scotch locks, etc.) ---- similar to the connectors I sourced in my bluetooth/cassette/CR-210/220 adaptation.

(Yes I know, such a frivolous detail. I like adding trivial factory options which my car did not come with --- like adding the rear fog lamps, adding hifi sound door panels, motor sound airbox, etc.)
Old 04-21-2015, 01:37 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

The interior lamps as well as the front trunk lamp are controlled by the alarm box under the passenger seat.

The only connectors where connection possible is at the alarm box itself at the Brown wire with White stripe (BR/WT wire in manual) going to pin 7 of connector #1 of the alarm box. If you have the tools you can remove the contact and install a new one with an additional wire to the new lamps in the console. Or, more easily simply tap into one of the wires.

The alarm box provides the "delay to off" function of the lamps.

The other connector for the interior lamps is under the carpet in the rear of the car on the right hand side and also has the wires to the sunroof in the same connector with all wires going into the right "C" pillar.

Another way one could do it is to run a wire from the BR/WT wire of the trunk lamp and fish it around the right hand side of cowl under the dash and to one of the central holes under the radio leading into the area above the console. This would be easy if the dash padding is removed, hard if not.
Old 04-21-2015, 04:57 PM
Jlaa
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 121 Posts

Thanks! This will keep me busy for a few weeks while I research the right connector/tool to remove the contact of pin 7 of connector 1 of the alarm box. :-)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Part number for footwell lamp (option XX2)