Spilled oil outside of fill cap

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 01:54 PM
sjsfiji
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spilled oil outside of fill cap

All,

My dumbass didn't use a funnel and oil spilled outside of the filling tube. Where did the oil go? Will this create smoke of some sort?

thanks,

sjsfiji
Old 01-11-2012, 02:04 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Probably ... but it shouldn't hurt anything. Take it down to a self-cleaning car wash and carefully spray the area with pressurized water then just drive it for an hour or two and burn it off ..
There should be a springy plastic/rubber filler extention inside the neck of the oil fill tube that pops up when you take the cap off to prevent this problem .. I was missing mine in the '95 coupe so I ordered one from Sunset .. very cheap and very nice to have.
Old 01-11-2012, 02:27 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 439 Likes on 276 Posts

...Or wipe up what you can on the top side, then lie down and reach up on the upper side of the heat exchanger with paper towels. You'll find most of the oil there. What little you can't get to will smoke off once it gets hot.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:26 PM
sjsfiji
Advanced

Didn't I mention I was a dumbass newbie. The extension exists but of course I didn't know what it was since it was my first time topping oil off. I'll try to clean the spilled oil.

Anyhow, I noticed 3 drops of oil in my garage just this morning that wasn't there last week. I've been driving the car once a week for the last 5 months w/o any significant drop in oil level (~2500 miles). I posted recently that I engaged the rev limiter in 2nd gear last week and the engine sounds normal today. Now that I spilled some oil in the engine bay, which will not help me narrow the cause of the oil drops on the garage floor (arrgggghhh), I would have to wait for some time to see where the leak is from. Would the rev limiter engaging incident have anything to do with the leak or is it just coincidence. I'm not really worried since she is German. "If it doens't leak, it isn't German" is what I've been told.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:41 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

First of all, don't sweat a few little spot of oil.

911s are like dogs...they mark their spot. We have never had a rear engine Porsche (3 total) that didn't drip a little bit of oil.

so DO NOT WORRY.

I would guess that the drops are from your spill, that finally made their way to the floor.

RE: Rev Limiter, again, that is what it is there for, I have bounced off the rev limiter numerous times.

Drive it like you STOLE IT!
Old 01-11-2012, 03:56 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by sjsfiji
Didn't I mention I was a dumbass newbie. The extension exists but of course I didn't know what it was since it was my first time topping oil off. I'll try to clean the spilled oil.

Anyhow, I noticed 3 drops of oil in my garage just this morning that wasn't there last week. I've been driving the car once a week for the last 5 months w/o any significant drop in oil level (~2500 miles). I posted recently that I engaged the rev limiter in 2nd gear last week and the engine sounds normal today. Now that I spilled some oil in the engine bay, which will not help me narrow the cause of the oil drops on the garage floor (arrgggghhh), I would have to wait for some time to see where the leak is from. Would the rev limiter engaging incident have anything to do with the leak or is it just coincidence. I'm not really worried since she is German. "If it doens't leak, it isn't German" is what I've been told.
Ha. I think that's the way you learn about them :-) Anyway, I agree with Kika, if the drops of oil appeared AFTER you spilled oil and you haven't burned any in 2500 miles ... good news all around, you have a keeper! However, if the drops of oil appeared before you spilled, then you might have an oil leak and it's probably one of the top two possible culprits, timing chain covers or lower valve covers ... either way, easy to remedy also easy to ignore. Is your engine 'under cover' still on? This is a VERY controversial subject BTW .. but a simple 'yes or no' will help out in the sluething here ...
Old 01-11-2012, 04:00 PM
MDamen
Pro

The oil can also pool on the engine tin under the power steering pump. Spray some solvent down there to get it to flush out. Then it will drip over the lower valve covers and the top of the heat exchanger, so clean that up. It may still slowly drip out for a while.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:49 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by MDamen
The oil can also pool on the engine tin under the power steering pump. Spray some solvent down there to get it to flush out. Then it will drip over the lower valve covers and the top of the heat exchanger, so clean that up. It may still slowly drip out for a while.
use caution with solvents, while they are good at degreasing, I understand they are not so good for rubber parts, like ignition wire covering etc...
Old 01-11-2012, 10:56 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

It drips down the tin, and onto the valve covers and puddles on suspension, heat exchangers (and engine tray).
First clean as much as you can under the hood. Then remove the right rear wheel, and reach in and dry all you can reach and a little farther. Then, underneath the car, reach all around the chain cover, heat exchangers so forth. Use clean towels. Solvents really not needed.

You're not a dumbass. You may, however, smoke for a few days. The design of the spout and the accordion thing is for crap. EVERYONE here has done that, whether they admit or not!! Its part of the 993 bucket list.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:07 PM
sjsfiji
Advanced

Thanks again for all the replies. JPP, the drops on the garage floor were before the spill. Thanks...
Old 01-12-2012, 08:05 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by sjsfiji
Thanks again for all the replies. JPP, the drops on the garage floor were before the spill. Thanks...
And, your engine undertray .. is it on or off? It's a big, semi-solid rubbery/plastic black thingy that would make it almost impossible to see any engine parts from under the back of the car.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:58 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mhm993
. EVERYONE here has done that, whether they admit or not!! Its part of the 993 bucket list.
Guilty...

Quick Reply: Spilled oil outside of fill cap