Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

100% plug'n'play aftermarket ECU for our cars for under $1000

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 09:35 PM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Cautiously curious about this...intrigued perhaps is the better word. Is that equivocal enough?
Old 01-05-2012, 09:44 PM
SeattleAllroad
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Intrigued as well.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:32 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 103 Posts

I just can't wait to see how intrigued Loren is going to be.

Old 01-05-2012, 10:43 PM
swmic

Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

My 96 would love to test out one of these. Very interesting!
Old 01-05-2012, 11:21 PM
Michaelc
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

I would be very interested in something lke this for my 95 cab!
Old 01-05-2012, 11:44 PM
ande5000
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in for a RoW '96 C2.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:22 AM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by NP993
I'm interested. Would also be curious to hear from experienced engine software guys what exactly the benefits are of an entirely new ECU (it's not Motec -- so what kind is it?) versus programming a chip. For example, I sourced a '97 ECU for my '96 993 that I'm planning to use for when I freshen up the motor and do RS cams or 9M top end. Are there limitations to the flash-able Motronic ECU that don't exist with a different, more modern, computer?

I guess the question really is -- Is the benefit of an aftermarket ECU simply the fact that it's programmable while the stock ECU is not, or is it that the programming resolution for fuel/ignition maps is superior to stock?
Don't forget the Motronic in our cars is almost 20 year old technology, look at how the PC has evolved over the past 20 years....

An aftermarket system allows a number benefits, especially when you are changing the volumetric efficiency of the engine (via cams, displacement etc)

The Motronic is a very good system, however when it comes to major modifications it just cannot manage the fuel requirements (cannot manage bigger injectors etc), nor can you make major adjustments to ignition timing etc to take advantage of cams etc.

There are a number of us on Rennlist that have recently installed an aftermarket system in their cars, including myself.

Juha, If you need any help or support, drop me a line, I did the full install on my system (55pin) and built the loom. I am also very willing to help anyone else out that goes down this path, whether it is with Juha's friends offering or any other system...
Old 01-06-2012, 04:59 AM
CalvinC4S
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where do I buy stock in 3.6 P&C's?
Old 01-06-2012, 05:13 AM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by NP993
I'm interested. Would also be curious to hear from experienced engine software guys what exactly the benefits are of an entirely new ECU (it's not Motec -- so what kind is it?) versus programming a chip. For example, I sourced a '97 ECU for my '96 993 that I'm planning to use for when I freshen up the motor and do RS cams or 9M top end. Are there limitations to the flash-able Motronic ECU that don't exist with a different, more modern, computer?

I guess the question really is -- Is the benefit of an aftermarket ECU simply the fact that it's programmable while the stock ECU is not, or is it that the programming resolution for fuel/ignition maps is superior to stock?
Originally Posted by trophy
Don't forget the Motronic in our cars is almost 20 year old technology, look at how the PC has evolved over the past 20 years....

An aftermarket system allows a number benefits, especially when you are changing the volumetric efficiency of the engine (via cams, displacement etc)

The Motronic is a very good system, however when it comes to major modifications it just cannot manage the fuel requirements (cannot manage bigger injectors etc), nor can you make major adjustments to ignition timing etc to take advantage of cams etc.

There are a number of us on Rennlist that have recently installed an aftermarket system in their cars, including myself.

Juha, If you need any help or support, drop me a line, I did the full install on my system (55pin) and built the loom. I am also very willing to help anyone else out that goes down this path, whether it is with Juha's friends offering or any other system...
I don't think this ECU will be much superior to the original Motronic unit. The real benefit is the ease of working on it; just plug it in and tune on the fly (while driving or on dyno). This is not possible on the Motronic.

The older (95 cars) motronic that uses the 55-pin is almost identical to the 5.2 motronic used on the later 993's. It is just missing some things like the VR control etc.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:19 AM
mcipseric
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Default So Cool!

Old 01-06-2012, 11:33 AM
trophy
Race Car

Originally Posted by Juha G
I don't think this ECU will be much superior to the original Motronic unit. The real benefit is the ease of working on it; just plug it in and tune on the fly (while driving or on dyno). This is not possible on the Motronic.

The older (95 cars) motronic that uses the 55-pin is almost identical to the 5.2 motronic used on the later 993's. It is just missing some things like the VR control etc.
If the system can manage aftermarket injectors as well as some good resolution and speed it can be superior to the motronic.

Funnily enough the extra pins from the 55 to the 88 really cover such things as the extra 3 o2 sensors, and additional output for OBDII, the Varioram is controlled by nothing much more that what controls the resonance flap in the 95 cars.

Great project Juha... Looking forward to the results.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:19 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Totally in for this! I have been wanting to mess with the ECU for some time.

How will this work with the immobilizer? Will all the warning light still work? Like the CEL light for emissions? Will all engine sensors be stock or will you upgrade to a WB02?

I have been tinkering with doing a piggyback ECU for the C4S. It retains everything 100% stock, & can custom tune any engine for about $1500 installed & tuned.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:56 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

"He said once he finalizes the engineering on it he can build and sell them for less than $1000. It would be a 100% plug'n'play ECU that you can tune on any PC."

OK, so he'll out-do Motec, Bosch, & et al, given all their development capacity
and other resources. Got it!

Before all this hype, it might be appropriate to inform members of some of his
actual completed electronic automotive developments, e.g. write-ups, pictures,
installs, & etc. It's one thing to easily develop and produce a simple circuit to
fool the 993 SAI system for OBDII monitors, and another to develop, fully test
under all operating conditions, package, and then market a highly reliable ECM.

Bottom line: An ECM development & production is not now made very simple,
i.e. requiring less resources, in 2012 versus the late '80s (Bosch 993 development),
because we now have quad core and dual core RISC microprocessors as is the
implication of some posts. The microprocessor used the 993 DME 20 years ago
is more than adequate for any ECM design requirement today.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:10 PM
Shahrams
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am interested, count me in.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:19 PM
trophy
Race Car

Originally Posted by Matt Lane
I just can't wait to see how intrigued Loren is going to be.

14 Hours and 24 minutes later you got your answer

Quick Reply: 100% plug'n'play aftermarket ECU for our cars for under $1000