Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 11:04 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,448 Likes on 1,020 Posts
Default Andy's Latest Updated 993 Owner's Service & DIY Item List

https://993servicerepair.blogspot.com/

Last edited by pp000830; 01-24-2021 at 02:05 PM.
Old 07-15-2015, 11:27 AM
Rockit
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's awesome!!! I found a few things I didn't know.

This is great for the average owner how can work on his car.

Thank You for posting this!!

Who is Andy?

PS LOVE your post on oil level....I just bought my 993 and you saved me a huge bill and a huge headache. Simply great stuff your posting and admin should make this a sticky.
Old 07-15-2015, 12:17 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 446 Likes on 270 Posts

Very nice, Andy!
Old 07-15-2015, 01:04 PM
uniquenamehere
Burning Brakes

Received 116 Likes on 81 Posts

Save this off... thanks for putting this together.
Old 07-15-2015, 01:06 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

This is good but be aware there are also a fair amount of opinions in the document - so read it with open eyes and draw your own conclusions.

For example, recommending Mobil 1 as engine oil is too generic of a statement to me since the particular product line is not identified (with the high zinc), and I would prefer doing regular oil analysis to have real numbers to draw your own conclusions from.

I also think there is validity around the use of a leakdown test, especially if I administer it. I am not sure where that example came from (and you can always find an extreme for any sort of test), but when done properly, a compression/leakdown can be a great indicator of the health of certain parts of the engine. No guarantees, but it can help eliminate a problem purchase, and I have done that for many potential 993 owners.

Anyways, opinions are always good to help get the facts out - and lots of good info in there!l

Cheers,

Mike
Old 07-15-2015, 02:49 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike J
This is good but be aware there are also a fair amount of opinions in the document - so read it with open eyes and draw your own conclusions.

For example, recommending Mobil 1 as engine oil is too generic of a statement to me since the particular product line is not identified (with the high zinc), and I would prefer doing regular oil analysis to have real numbers to draw your own conclusions from.

I also think there is validity around the use of a leakdown test, especially if I administer it. I am not sure where that example came from (and you can always find an extreme for any sort of test), but when done properly, a compression/leakdown can be a great indicator of the health of certain parts of the engine. No guarantees, but it can help eliminate a problem purchase, and I have done that for many potential 993 owners.

Anyways, opinions are always good to help get the facts out - and lots of good info in there!l

Cheers,

Mike
Mike,
Thank you for your thoughtful reply and insights.
Andy
Old 07-15-2015, 02:55 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by pp000830
Mike,
Thank you for your thoughtful reply and insights.
Andy
Hi Andy,

Hopefully you did not read my comments wrong - the document is great and I had no intentions of pushing your good work down - my apologies if you read it that way!

Cheers,

Mike
Old 07-15-2015, 03:29 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rockit

Who is Andy?
Hi Rockit,
Thank you for your enthusiastic reply, I am Andy. I live near Richmond VA with my wife, daughter (when home from college) and my two poodles. As you can see I am not shy about attempting repairs and upgrades on my 993. Some of these projects are easier than I expected others gave me a feeling of accomplishment along with the wisdom that I should let a professional do the work next time. Luckily none of the projects ended up with me having to have my car flat-bedded to a professional to sort out what I had done. I believe the most demanding project was replacing the steering rack. The project that required the most patience was reupholstering the seats, a project that required a re-do of one of the seat cushions before I got it right! In all cases these project merited documentation so other non-professional can learn from my experiences as they engage in the same sort of car therapy I do.

Here is my most valuable insight concerning these cars:
I hear all the time about the guy who sold his Porsche when he got married as it had the potential to become a bone of contention as the other woman with his new spouse. I solved this issue years ago as with each Porsche I have brought home I have immediately given it to my wife. Over all these years of marriage, and three cars, I have heard not one complaint about the quality time I spend out in the garage making my wife’s ride reliable and enjoyable, and as a plus I drive it most any time I want to. Never owned a minivan, as even when my oldest son at 6’3” had to get somewhere he gladly jammed himself in the back seat of the 911 happy as a clam.
Sincerely
Andy
Old 07-15-2015, 04:12 PM
Rockit
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Rockit,
Thank you for your enthusiastic reply, I am Andy. I live near Richmond VA with my wife, daughter (when home from college) and my two poodles. As you can see I am not shy about attempting repairs and upgrades on my 993. Some of these projects are easier than I expected others gave me a feeling of accomplishment along with the wisdom that I should let a professional do the work next time. Luckily none of the projects ended up with me having to have my car flat-bedded to a professional to sort out what I had done. I believe the most demanding project was replacing the steering rack. The project that required the most patience was reupholstering the seats, a project that required a re-do of one of the seat cushions before I got it right! In all cases these project merited documentation so other non-professional can learn from my experiences as they engage in the same sort of car therapy I do.

I hear all the time about the guy who sold his Porsche when he got married as it had the potential to become a bone of contention as the other woman with his new spouse. I solved this issue years ago as with each Porsche I have brought home I have immediately given it to my wife. Over all these years of marriage, and three cars, I have heard not one complaint about the quality time I spend out in the garage making my wife’s ride reliable and enjoyable, and as a plus I drive it most any time I want to. Never owned a minivan, as even when my oldest son at 6’3” had to get somewhere he gladly jammed himself in the back seat of the 911 happy as a clam.
Sincerely
Andy
Andy, your my hero.....You may have the whole women thing figured out!!
Old 07-15-2015, 06:11 PM
pozzello
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Rockit,

Sincerely
Andy

Great doc - will keep it for reference. Lol how come nothing about engine mounts ?
Old 07-15-2015, 07:23 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike J
Hi Andy,

Hopefully you did not read my comments wrong - the document is great and I had no intentions of pushing your good work down - my apologies if you read it that way!

Cheers,

Mike
Nope no pushdown
intended or felt.
Andy
Old 07-15-2015, 07:28 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pozzello

Great doc - will keep it for reference. Lol how come nothing about engine mounts ?
Haven't ran across a problem with them on my 993 yet, knock on wood!
Old 07-15-2015, 07:55 PM
bcameron59
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

...each Porsche I have brought home I have immediately given it to my wife. Over all these years of marriage, and three cars, I have heard not one complaint about the quality time I spend out in the garage making my wife’s ride reliable and enjoyable, and as a plus I drive it most any time I want to.
Sheer brilliance.

I tried to give my wife the '79 SC when I brought home the 993, but she didn't want it. Noisy, smelly and uncomfortable were her words. Instead, I should gave given her the NEW(er) car, and borrowed the 993 from her as necessary (eg for track days).
Old 07-15-2015, 10:00 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bcameron59
Sheer brilliance.

I tried to give my wife the '79 SC when I brought home the 993, but she didn't want it. Noisy, smelly and uncomfortable were her words. Instead, I should gave given her the NEW(er) car, and borrowed the 993 from her as necessary (eg for track days).
The 993 is clearly a much more friendly car for those who enjoy creature comforts, the A/C works well, it has power steering and it shifts nicely.

The older 911, I had an 86 Carrera, can be a quirky car to drive and is more of an an acquired taste.

Andy :-)
Old 07-16-2015, 06:46 AM
DanL993
button queen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is terrific!! I gotta go now.....apparently I have a few things to get to!!

Quick Reply: Andy's Latest Updated 993 Owner's Service & DIY Item List