painting brake calipers

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 02:20 PM
Mike W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default painting brake calipers

Has anyone had this done? Can the calipers be painted without removing? I found a source in england for the porsche decals. Is there a U.S. supplier? I am having my wheels redone. I would like to have the calipers painted at the same tiime if possible. The wheel guy might be able to do this if he does not have to remove the calipers...
Old 12-07-2011, 02:41 PM
LimeyBoy
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 123 Posts

If you goto 'search' - 'advanced' and enter (in quotes) "painting calipers" - then select to search only the 993 forum (right side of search panel) you'll get tons of threads on this subject. You can get the decals in the US and the same threads will point the way. Good luck, make sure you post pics when done.
Old 12-07-2011, 02:43 PM
Mike W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LimeyBoy
If you goto 'search' - 'advanced' and enter (in quotes) "painting calipers" - then select to search only the 993 forum (right side of search panel) you'll get tons of threads on this subject. You can get the decals in the US and the same threads will point the way. Good luck, make sure you post pics when done.
thanks, should have done search - just being lazy
Old 12-08-2011, 04:50 AM
911PERVY
Banned

Received 223 Likes on 183 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=10902
Old 12-08-2011, 07:40 AM
haygeebaby
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

I did mine while the wheels where off.
Clean them up and get the surface a little rough.
Cover up areas around the caliper.
Then about 4 coats of caliper spray paint. Did not end up doing the clear coat.
Looks great still - and it's been about 2 years.
Make sure you let each layer dry good before spraying the next layer. I did this with one caliper and the paint bubbled up and I had to take it back to metal and start again.
Took me a weekend to do the job. One of the best DIY projects.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:46 AM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 210 Posts

I painted the ones on my cab while they were on the car. Not the best way to do it, but once the wheels were back on, it looked great. There are several products out there. I used the one you brush on. After 3 coats of red epoxy they looked factory. I bought the paint and decals on eBay. I did not put a coat of clear coat over them and they held up great for several years until I sold the car.

Tons of past posting on this. Good luck.
Old 12-08-2011, 12:40 PM
Mike W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Problem is this project is way beyond what little repair "skills" I have. I would like to have it done locally. The wheel shop working on my wheels cannot do it. If anyone has done this in south Flroida please let me know , thanks
Old 12-08-2011, 02:27 PM
V
Drifting

AOWs recent refinish is about the best I've seen to date, very very nice
Old 12-08-2011, 02:33 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by Viggo
AOWs recent refinish is about the best I've seen to date, very very nice
Thank you Viggo. Here is the thread.

Andreas
Old 12-08-2011, 09:43 PM
mts
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 41 Posts

These guys will blast them, powdercoat them any color you like and do the Porsche label for $125 each.
http://www.wheeldynamics.com/

If your mechanical skills limit you being able to paint them yourself, you are unlikely to be able to pull the calipers off yourself, but any number of local shops can do that for you if you don't mind the down time.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:54 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck W.
I painted the ones on my cab while they were on the car. Not the best way to do it, but once the wheels were back on, it looked great. There are several products out there. I used the one you brush on. After 3 coats of red epoxy they looked factory. I bought the paint and decals on eBay. I did not put a coat of clear coat over them and they held up great for several years until I sold the car.

Tons of past posting on this. Good luck.
Exaclty. That's what Darin at FDM has done on his and they look like they've been powder coated. It's amazing how the brushed paint 'flows out' as it dries. I also think FDM can source it and decals as well.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:51 PM
1978formosa
Track Day

Check out a good company that I bought paint from in New Jersey. They have some really good paint products www.por15.com. You can get decals off of ebay
Old 12-09-2011, 11:09 AM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

I have done a few cars with great results, painting them in place.
Here is a before and after of my calipers. I use the G2 caliper paint. Decals for the lettering and then 2 coats of high temp clear. I also did my "little reds" about 6 years ago and they still looked great when I swapped them out for the Big Blues.
Attached Images     
Old 12-09-2011, 07:06 PM
mts
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by FisterD
I have done a few cars with great results, painting them in place.
Here is a before and after of my calipers. I use the G2 caliper paint. Decals for the lettering and then 2 coats of high temp clear. I also did my "little reds" about 6 years ago and they still looked great when I swapped them out for the Big Blues.
Darin,

Those look great! How did you prep the calipers prior to painting? I've done the G2 kits before and ending up with some of the paint coming off later, but admittedly didn't do much prep beyond some brake cleaner and a wire brush.

Mike
Old 12-11-2011, 04:45 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by mts
Darin,

Those look great! How did you prep the calipers prior to painting? I've done the G2 kits before and ending up with some of the paint coming off later, but admittedly didn't do much prep beyond some brake cleaner and a wire brush.

Mike
Like any painting, prep is key. I use non-chlorine brake cleaner. This gets the clearcoat to start deteriorating. Then it's wire wheel/brush and light sanding. They don't have to be stripped completely, but you dont want any flakey/rough spots. Mask interior bits, zirc fittings and rotors and begin painting. I use artist brushes in a couple of different sizes (not the brush supplied with the kit.) This will allow you get the tighter more detailed areas. By the time you are done with the first coat on the last caliper, the first one you did is ready for another coat. Keep working around the car until you have hit each caliper 4 or 5 times. It takes 4-5 coats and the finish will smooth itself out nicely. Once it is cure the stuff is very tough. Takes about 3-4 hours. I let them sit overnight before I apply the decals and clearcoat.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: painting brake calipers