Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Headlight HID bulb replacement? One of mine is out. Which ones to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 11:48 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 852 Likes on 435 Posts
Default Headlight HID bulb replacement? One of mine is out. Which ones to buy?

I did a search and it only came up with posts from 2006 and before...

One of my HID headlight bulbs is out after 6 years of use and I need to buy 2 more ASAP (I'm guessing it would be smart to replace them both at the same time, which I plan to do or have done). Unfortunately I didn't save my box from the manufacturer which I bought them from so I don't know which ones to get. Which ones to buy and where can I get them? It's SO dark without that headlight bulb working on my driver's side and I don't want to get pulled over for it.

This is the kit I bought and Joe installed for me: The cost of the kit was $270

How long have your bulbs lasted? My 2001 BMW 740i is 11 years old and it still has the same HID bulbs.

Thanks in advance,
Steve
Old 11-20-2011, 01:12 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 269 Posts

Steve,
Your HID in the bimmer is oem. They last much longer than the aftermarket ones. Regarding the 993, you can replace just the bulbs, but the entire kits nowadays are so cheap. You may as well order an entire kit to replace that 6 y/o kit in there now. I bought my kit form ddmtuning. Slim ballasts 35w to fit inside the headlights run about $40. Many Rlisters run the same kit on their cars w/o issues. There are many other kits, and different folks will have different opinions. Here check it out.

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DD...ast-35W-or-55W
Old 11-20-2011, 06:02 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by P-daddy
Steve,
Your HID in the bimmer is oem. They last much longer than the aftermarket ones. Regarding the 993, you can replace just the bulbs, but the entire kits nowadays are so cheap. You may as well order an entire kit to replace that 6 y/o kit in there now. I bought my kit form ddmtuning. Slim ballasts 35w to fit inside the headlights run about $40. Many Rlisters run the same kit on their cars w/o issues. There are many other kits, and different folks will have different opinions. Here check it out.

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DD...ast-35W-or-55W
Thanks for this info. So it's not $275 for the kit like last time it was installed? Is it $40 for each side with this link you sent me? Frankly, it took 1/2 a day to install all that stuff last time and another Rennlister did all the work. So if the just buying bulbs are easier, I might go that route. Strangely enough, the headlight is working again. Loose connection? Fuse going bad or loose? Who knows... Just happy it's back on for now but I'm not counting on it staying on for long. Just hoping...
Old 11-20-2011, 06:29 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

No, that's $40 for the entire kit. Prices have come down tremendously. $15 for a pair of bulbs, may as well get the entire kit just in case it's your ballasts about to head south. Also, not sure what connectors you have on that old kit. They may not pair up with new bulbs. I saw pics of how your friend hooked it up. They look like full size ballasts, thus mounted outside the headlight bucket. The slim ballasts are small enough to fit inside your headlight housing. It took me about an hour to do the install and that includes cleaning and waxing the inside of the headlight housing . Loose connection, maybe. Check your fuse, but I doubt it. Maybe early sign of ballasts going bad. Make sure to order H1 Kit. Select 4500 Kelvin to be as close to OEM color. 5000 Kelvin slightly more blue. Choose 35W kit. Let me know.

Nam
Old 11-20-2011, 06:35 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by P-daddy
No, that's $40 for the entire kit. Prices have come down tremendously. $15 for a pair of bulbs, may as well get the entire kit just in case it's your ballasts about to head south. Also, not sure what connectors you have on that old kit. They may not pair up with new bulbs. I saw pics of how your friend hooked it up. They look like full size ballasts, thus mounted outside the headlight bucket. The slim ballasts are small enough to fit inside your headlight housing. It took me about an hour to do the install and that includes cleaning and waxing the inside of the headlight housing . Loose connection, maybe. Check your fuse, but I doubt it. Maybe early sign of ballasts going bad. Let me know.

Nam
Thanks for this info, Nam. You're not kidding about prices coming down. That's quite a price drop from $275 to ... $40. That's 1/7th the price I pad for mine. Yes, mine were full size ballasts so I guess I need to switch the entire set up around to the slim ballasts.

I'll wait till they are shot and get the ones you suggest.
Old 11-20-2011, 06:45 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

No problem Steve. First HID kit I ever bought back in 2002 cost $800 Just let me know if you need help then.
Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
Thanks for this info, Nam. You're not kidding about prices coming down. That's quite a price drop from $275 to ... $40. That's 1/7th the price I pad for mine. Yes, mine were full size ballasts so I guess I need to switch the entire set up around to the slim ballasts.

I'll wait till they are shot and get the ones you suggest.
Old 11-20-2011, 11:41 PM
keithgreer
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I installed this set over the weekend:
Amazon Amazon
It worked great. Took a minor bit of reaming with a Dremmel to get the bulbs to fit in the low beam slots. The ballast's and all the wiring fit in the headlight assembly. They look great. If I had to do it again I would have gone for a slightly lower temperature setting as the 6000 seem a little blue to me, even though they said it was bright white. Some have indicated 4,500 to 5,000k. You can do this install in about 30 minutes. The kit was $80 on Amazon. Ping me if you want any further details on the install. As with most mods, if you did it the second time you could do it in half the time.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:35 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the info! I'm going to contact a local Rennlister to see if they could help with this in exchange for ... something!

Quick Reply: Headlight HID bulb replacement? One of mine is out. Which ones to buy?