993 Forum 1995-1998

I get a free car--Audi A3 TDI or Subaru Outback

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 11:52 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I get a free car--Audi A3 TDI or Subaru Outback

Why does my company standardize on the Audi A3 (TDI and front wheel drive, Quattro isnt available with the TDI diesel) when I live in area that gets a butt load of snow? Got the choice of 2012 Audi A3 TDI, 2012 Dodge Journey SXT, or 2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium PZEV with cold winter package and blue tooth. I wont even mention the Dodge Caravan--wont catch me dead in a mini-van. Just not my cup of tea.

I tried to get the A3 in gas version (with Quattro) but its not an option. I checked out the Dodge JourneySXT and it reminds me a of mini-van. Saw the 2012 Outback today and its sharp---just refined the engine for 2012 and it looks good from an exterior standpoint. Lo

The 2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium with Graphite Gray Metallic exterior and black interior is the route Im going. Always wanted an Outback and now getting one.....for free. I live in the moutains---FWD (Audi A3) isnt a smart move with my lifestyle of mountains, snow, and high elevation. Thats why the other 4 vehicles in the house are either AWD or 4WD.

Like Audi but if it isnt Quattro, I wont have any part of it. Guess I cant complain about a brand new, AWD, Subaru Outback.

Porsche, Ford, Lincoln, Mazda, Subaru--a good mix in the stable.
The following users liked this post:
steve g (03-14-2020)
Old 10-10-2011, 12:26 AM
matt777
Drifting

I have an A3 Quattro 2.0T which is great. In your case I'd go with the Outback but the 2.5 is not a very impressive powerplant.
Old 10-10-2011, 01:07 AM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Yea, the Subaru 2.5i Premium isnt the cream of the crop but I also have a Lincoln Navigator that is AWD. If A3 Quattro 2.0T was available, I'd take it. Its a decked out package on the Audi but no AWD on the TDI is a deal killer. I think the 2013 will have Quattro on the diesel.

There was just a recall on the A3 yesterday---fuel injector issue...leaking---just an FYI.
Old 10-10-2011, 01:20 AM
mickster
Race Car

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

It's free. The A3 is fine in the snow with FWD. I can't figure out why they don't offer Quattro though with TDI anywhere in the line unless it's to get you to an Audi Q7, or VW Touareg.
Old 10-10-2011, 01:28 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

I spent a week driving A3 TDi in Europe a couple of years ago. Granted, I hate diesels, but this was one of the more frustrating car to drive. Pretty nice chassis, comfortable interior, right size for Urrap... and shaking at the traffic lights like a vibrator at the end of a 3-day orgy.

Very similar feeling to 118d I had to endure in Spain for 2 weeks a year ago. Try to control the car in the mountain twisties when it has no engine to speak of. Brake, turn in, gas.... gas... gas... wait, no. 0-60 in a single day.

I get it. They are cheaper. But, gawd, why, oh, why? Especially in the States where diesel prices are on par with Premium gas.
Old 10-10-2011, 01:56 AM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Subie ... with the flat 4
Old 10-10-2011, 05:02 AM
Hot Oil
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your leasing company is offering you some of the cheapest fleet vehicles available, these three are fleet spec's. Which leasing company are you dealing with? In the US, would this be a taxable benefit for you? Thanks.

Bob
Old 10-10-2011, 09:41 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,368 Likes on 792 Posts

Originally Posted by nile13
Very similar feeling to 118d I had to endure in Spain for 2 weeks a year ago. Try to control the car in the mountain twisties when it has no engine to speak of. Brake, turn in, gas.... gas... gas... wait, no. 0-60 in a single day.
um, what?

The 2.0 TDI makes 140bhp and 236lb ft of torque. 0-60 in 8.9 seconds.

thats about 1.5 seconds behind a Ferrari 308.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:36 AM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hot Oil
Your leasing company is offering you some of the cheapest fleet vehicles available, these three are fleet spec's. Which leasing company are you dealing with? In the US, would this be a taxable benefit for you? Thanks.

Bob
Wheels is the fleet managment company.

Up until about a month ago, the standard was the Audi A4 Quattro. Tax credits going green had a shift towards diesel with my company---green credits.

Yea, the options are not the highest end vehicle offerings and I didnt want a car in the first place but I can either take it or not take it at all. I'd like some more HP in the higher end 3.6R Outbacks but its not an option.

The Outback is a very good, all around vehicle to have in Utah with the mega amounts of snow we get here and diversity of the landscape compbined with my outdoor lifestyle. The package on the Audi A3 looks "nicer" but all around practicality based on my lifestyle doesnt point me to a FWD diesel Audi.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:36 AM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 133 Posts

Free cars are awesome cars!
Old 10-10-2011, 10:42 AM
slickster85
Rennlist Member

I've got a vw jsw with the 2.0tdi and I like it a lot. The DSG tranny is pretty good and I've never had a problem with power. While Connecticut isn't Utah, we do get a good amount of snow and the vw with snow tires hasn't had a problem so far.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:46 AM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hot Oil

Bob
The fleet company is Wheels. Yes, not the top end of the cars but Im not going to complain about free. From an AWD/4WD vehicle, my Lincoln Navigator does the trick if I want extreme comfort. Its a tank and plows through snow well. My company has a push for going green credits and has a partnership with Audi---obvious tax breaks.

A twin turbo Audi 140hp diesel/FWD isnt quite my cup of tea. Putting on snow tires and chains is not what I would describe as practical with my lifestyle. 8000 feet dumping snow and a FWD isnt a good combination. Roads that require AWD/FWD or chains several times a year--nothing like having to stop and trying to put chains on your vehicle--just not practical. The Outback is by far and away way more of a practical vehicle in high desest of Utah. Combining mountains/snow/lifestyle--the Outback is tough to beat with the choices I have for a vehicle. A FWD vehicle may be just fine for some but there is a reason why every vehicle I own is either AWD or 4WD.

The A3 is a sweet set up what they bundle with it but at the end of the day, I'm not a fan on FWD only. When its dumping snow where I live, I dont want to have to think twice about having issues getting around nor having to worry about another set of winter/snow tires/chains. I watch people in 2WD get stuck on my street on a handful of occassions every winter.

Not quite sure what my tax break is on it but I'll figure it out around tax time.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:06 PM
Van1
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

I'd take FWD with snow tires over AWD with all season tires. I had a Golf TDI and equipped with Blizzaks it would bomb through the Colorado mountains with no problem. Heck, I had a BMW 540 and shod with Blizzaks it handled the Nebraska winter with no issue. AWD with the wrong shoes isn't necessarily the best tool for snow. If you get as much snow as you seem to allude to I'd get snow tires no matter which or how many wheels are being driven. Besides helping with acceleration they will provide superior handling and braking over all seasons. But it sounds like you don't want to be bothered with swapping tires which takes all of 20 minutes or less.

It's always fun to see the AWDs and 4WDs off in the ditch along the freeway in the winter because owners failed to properly equip the vehicle with snows and thought that the AWD aspect made them invincible.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:12 PM
Van1
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

Oh, and nothing beats forced induction at high elevations. Non turbo charged Subaru engines are anemic. I'd bet that the Audi TDI would rock the Subie at 8000'.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:14 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had Subie's for 30 years, and they're still my first choice for a daily driver. Never been stuck, with all season tires.

Quick Reply: I get a free car--Audi A3 TDI or Subaru Outback