Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Convertible top locking motor bad? help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 12:20 AM
Boosted330
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Convertible top locking motor bad? help!

Alright so i did a search and believe my convertible top latch that locks to the windshield frame is shot but i'm not sure. so i'm posting just to confirm.

when the top is put UP and the motors activate the latches it sounds like "clicking" when the switch tries to activate.

the "convertible top open" light remains "ON" in the instrument cluster. and when the top is physically closed and you continue to press the CLOSE part of the toggle switch in the center console, it will continue to activate the motors as if it doesn't know that the top is closed.

the top WILL open so it's different than the symptoms ive seen in my search results, i just believe the lock is stuck in the OPEN position rather than the CLOSED position.

any confirmation help would be appreciated because i'd like to DIY this if i can get an accurate diagnosis.

Thanks in advance!

Rob
Old 10-09-2011, 01:14 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

You can spin the motor manually to check for full latching.

I don't think it's really a latch motor issue. I'd look at the switch on the frame next to the motor receptacle.

Worse come to worst, the latch top motor recall should net you replacement motors at the dealer for free. Not that the replacement ones are any better than original. .
Old 10-09-2011, 05:07 AM
911PERVY
Banned

Received 223 Likes on 183 Posts

Probably the brass cog inside has split, very common
Old 10-09-2011, 05:32 AM
briefescape
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Which one , left or right latch ?

You have a broken tooth on the brass gear . Easy DIY at getting to the gear and rotate gear where the gear teeth are good because the latch only use approx . 1/3 of the gear https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...tch-motor.html . 0 $ fix OR you can get a new gear for $99.00 at http://www.vertexauto.com/ShowItem/2...or%20Gear.aspx

Cheers Guy
Old 10-09-2011, 12:50 PM
Boosted330
Instructor

Originally Posted by briefescape
Which one , left or right latch ?

You have a broken tooth on the brass gear . Easy DIY at getting to the gear and rotate gear where the gear teeth are good because the latch only use approx . 1/3 of the gear https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...tch-motor.html . 0 $ fix OR you can get a new gear for $99.00 at http://www.vertexauto.com/ShowItem/2...or%20Gear.aspx

Cheers Guy
thanks for the responses, it sounds like it's the left motor

nile13: i'll put the top down and check to see if the motor spins freely

is there anything else visually i can look for that will clue me in? is the gear visible if i pull the trim/coverings back? thanks again in advance!
Old 10-09-2011, 02:22 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

First, you do not need to put the roof down to manually latch it. There are holes at the plastic liner piece that covers the motors. You can stick a screwdriver in there and turn the motor manually until it latches. If it doesn't latch, it's likely a broken gear inside. If it does latch and stay latched, observe it and see what happens. If gear is broken the roof will pop up slightly while hitting any appreciable bump at speed.

The gear is not visible, it's inside the motor.

You don't need to buy or replace any gears. I repeat, there's a factory recall on these motors. March to the dealer and they will replace them for free (one time). At the same time they will also replace the pins in the middle of the roof frame with shorter ones.
Old 10-09-2011, 04:18 PM
whatyoutalknaboutwillis
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Or you could be lucky like me and have your recalled motors break only to turn the screw drive and have them break again. I'm going to have to break down and buy a new set sice L & R are popping. It's one of the few bummers of having a cab. On a related note, are the vertex motors better than the OEM--do they use their own gear?
Old 10-09-2011, 04:31 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

If you end up buying new motors, there's a recall part number. A pair of motors under that part number would cost about $400 vs. paying $600 a pop for regular part numbers. Just searched... it's 000-043-300-44 And it seems to be up to $1400 now from $400 two-three years ago. Ouch.

I severely doubt that paragon motors would have new gears, unless they are rebuilt. Call and ask them, they are pretty decent at answering questions. I have spoken to somebody in Germany who was willing to make a bunch of these gears for 50 Euros a pop or less. I'm sure that they can be made here as well. Chris Walrod comes to mind As well as a few CNC shop owners around here.

OP... search for A502 on Rennlist. You will find wealth of information.
Old 10-09-2011, 08:54 PM
briefescape
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is nothing wrong with the motors just rotate or replace the gear . That simple !

the motors are easy to split:
undo 4 P'head screws and pry open the motor case with a flat screw driver.

To remove or replace or rotate the damaged latch gear teeth out of the way:
1. Take particular note of the position of the cam on the shaft relative to activating the micro switch - needs to go back exactly in the same position.
2. Remove the allen grub screw in the back of the shaft cam,
3. Slip off the shaft circlip,
4. Tap out the splined latch shaft from the gear using an old socket over the end of the shaft resting on the shaft shoulders,
5. Swap in a new gear and reverse the procedure, OR,
6. Simply rotate the existing gear's damaged teeth to the position that they will not come into contact again with the worm gear (which is what I did - cheap fix).

Again just follow this http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...tch-motor.html .

Again if you want a new gear http://www.vertexauto.com/ShowItem/2...or%20Gear.aspx

Cheers Guy

Last edited by briefescape; 10-10-2011 at 12:14 AM.
Old 10-10-2011, 01:14 AM
inkatouring
Three Wheelin'

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

If it is the brass gear, it is an easy fix -- I've done it twice, once for each side. Taking the motor out and reinstalling takes 5 minutes the second time you've done it (once you're familiar with it). If the brass gear is cracked, you'll need a new one from vertex. If a tooth is broken off, you can actually rotate it 180* and it will be fine, as the cycle only uses half the gear. Or, if you don't want to crack the case open, buy one from Parts Haven -- they had them for $400 last time I checked....
Old 10-10-2011, 01:24 AM
Boosted330
Instructor

thanks guys for all the input. i'll talk to the porsche dealer tomorrow to see if this might be covered under the recall. if not, i'll pull out the motor and see if it's the gear that's got broken teeth. thanks again so much!
Old 10-10-2011, 05:17 AM
Rialas
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You may be lucky like I was. The two Phillips screws that hold the motor body to the gears had worked loose so the motor spindle did not make contact with the gears. A simple case of tightening them up.
Old 10-10-2011, 01:45 PM
hn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I had something similiar after the recall was done. The tech didn't align the left motor and I had a hard time open or close the top. Once it was closed properly (I think I helped with my hand), I loosened up the mounting bolts, let them self-realign and then tighten them up again.
Old 10-16-2011, 03:13 PM
Boosted330
Instructor

ok so i went to the porsche dealer and they said no recall so i pulled out the motor today and opened it up and here's what i found.

IMG_0620.jpg?t=1318788483

i circled in the top right where it appears that a single tooth is missing, but i'm not 100% clear because i really didnt want to fiddle with it too much before getting a second opinion from you guys.

here's another shot closer of the gear
IMG_0621.jpg?t=1318788484

and here's a piece of loose debris which i believe to be the actual tooth that is missing

IMG_0622.jpg?t=1318788491

if you guys believe this is the culprit, should i just rotate it 180degrees, or do i need a new gear or new motor?

thanks so much for everyone's help, i couldnt have done this without you guys
Old 10-16-2011, 06:45 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Boosted330
ok so i went to the porsche dealer and they said no recall
Start with that. Your dealer is full of ...

But if you feel like running around and paying money instead of Porsche doing this under recall, more power to you.

Quick Reply: Convertible top locking motor bad? help!