Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Is is possible to completely remove cigarette smell from interior?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 09:57 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Nah, huge difference between the two. Riding a motorcycle has many benefits, like the ones you pointed out.

If you smoke, there's no benefits, but as someone once said...
No benefit to smoking? I guess all those addicts really hate the taste and buzz, but just can't kick the habit because they have no self-respect, right? I've bought maybe six packs of smokes in the last two years and I relished every single drag. I'd call that a benefit. And since that averages about a pack every four months, I'm hardly an addict. Riding my motorcyle is an addiction, it's FAR more dangerous, costs FAR more than smoking, but I'm fine with it because I have no self-respect.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:07 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick Lee
No benefit to smoking? I guess all those addicts really hate the taste and buzz, but just can't kick the habit because they have no self-respect, right? I've bought maybe six packs of smokes in the last two years and I relished every single drag. I'd call that a benefit. And since that averages about a pack every four months, I'm hardly an addict. Riding my motorcyle is an addiction, it's FAR more dangerous, costs FAR more than smoking, but I'm fine with it because I have no self-respect.
I know this may come as a shock, but this may not really be all about you. It sounds like you're not the typical smoker.

You're right about one thing: some people do think it's a benefit to ingest tar and nicotine into their lungs and get that buzz. Some also think buying a tarred up smoke polluted 993 is OK too. Some might argue that not doing either of those things is a benefit.

Most smokers cannot quit because nicotine is an addictive drug and they lack the will to quit. Period. No regular smoker over the age of 30 that I've ever met thinks starting smoking was a good call. They ALL regret it.

You may have self-respect, I don't know. But you are most certainly very sensitive and defensive when the topic of smoking comes up. Then again, most smokers are.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:17 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Actually, I'm only sensitive and defensive to gross distortions where there are generally otherwise intelligent people. Doesn't have to be about smoking. It was a distortion to claim smokers rationalize their addictions, since none have done so here and it was a distortion to claim smokers claim their addiction has no effect on non-smokers, as, again, no one has done so here. Maybe "they" (gross generalization) do that stuff, but it has nothing to do with the OP's topic, which is a smoked-in car no one here has personally inspected.

I can't remember the last time I got into a car that really smelled like smoke. I've been in lots of rental cars with obvious cigarette burns, but none smelled beyond repair. I did have a gun worked on recently by a gunsmith who smoked like a chimney and the gun came back smelling like an ashtray. But it was fine after a trip the range and a good cleaning. If I were the OP, I'd go see that car and I'd also pass on it if it smelled bad. Just sounds kind of fishy to be talked out of a car you haven't seen by a dealer.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:42 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't know. Maybe I'm reading all this wrong. But I get the sense that goofballdeluxe is not just a member of the goofballdeluxe fan club, but is also the founder and president.

Wow...the arrogance, the lecturing, the condescension, the towering sense of moral superiority, the sweeping, flippant judgments about whole groups of people...you must be one heckuva fun guy to have a beer with, goofball.
Old 09-05-2011, 11:29 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Andreas
Old 09-05-2011, 11:36 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by NP993
the arrogance, the lecturing, the condescension, the towering sense of moral superiority, the sweeping, flippant judgments ...
And those are his good points....

Actually, he is a great guy who brings a lot to the forum. You may not always agree with him, but he is articulate, well written and he is never afraid to lay his opinion on the line and defend it.

Hey, this is a 993 forum. I believe we have addressed the OP question and this thread is done. Lets lock it and move on.
Old 09-05-2011, 11:48 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Well, I would hope that I can articulate myself without coming across too arrogantly, but it's hard not to feel superior when my debating opponents are defending the indefensible. Smoking is just a rotten addiction. Smelly, expensive, the health cost to innocents and added billions spent on healthcare as a result of it.

To quote something interesting sent to me from someone much sager and wiser than I:

"The adverse health effects from cigarette smoking account for an estimated 443,000 deaths, or nearly one of every five deaths, each year in the United States.

More deaths are caused each year by tobacco use than by all deaths from human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), illegal drug use, alcohol use, motor vehicle injuries, suicides, and murders combined."

Yes, I am the founder of my fan club, but Justin Beiber is the President. Chuck W. is obviously our chief diplomat, and also Treasurer, due to his impeccable taste in cars. However, we have an opening for court jester, and I know who would be perfect....
Old 09-06-2011, 12:47 AM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ungh -- you sound like the kind of person the Founding Fathers warned us about. I have a suggestion for you if you don't like smoking: Don't smoke. I don't like smoking either so I don't do it. But I also don't get on my high horse about it and lecture people about how they're supposed to live. BTW, how do you feel about cheeseburgers? Is it okay with you if I eat one?

Also, read this:

Amazon Amazon
Old 09-06-2011, 01:10 AM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Ungh -- you sound like the kind of person the Founding Fathers warned us about. I have a suggestion for you if you don't like smoking: Don't smoke. I don't like smoking either so I don't do it. But I also don't get on my high horse about it and lecture people about how they're supposed to live. BTW, how do you feel about cheeseburgers? Is it okay with you if I eat one?

Also, read this:

http://www.amazon.com/Your-Own-Good-...dp/0684871157/
OK, you're not going to see reality anymore than you're gonna smell cigarette smoke in a car.

Actually, one could make an argument that it's everyone's business because smokers, among other things, incur a higher healthcare cost because of their addiction which depletes resources and raises the health costs for everyone who doesn't smoke. Then there's the whole subject of second hand smoke. But, really, that's a whole 'nuther subject.

The Founding Fathers not only read, but also comprehended what they read. That's why they would know I'm not on a high horse because I just wrote in a previous thread that "Personally, I don't care if other people smoke. I just don't wanna hafta smell it, pay for it or deal with it."

But I have no problem telling anyone on a thread that it's a filthy, dirty addiction and I would highly recommend one walk away from any car that has been smoked in.

For some reason, I'm a little disappointed to hear you don't smoke. If you get your panties in this much of a twist over something you have no association with, I'd hate to see how you act when it's something you care about.

Go eat a cheeseburger. And I recommend a cigarette for you afterwards
Old 09-06-2011, 02:29 AM
993 770
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also, read this:

http://www.amazon.com/Your-Own-Good-...dp/0684871157/
Did the founding fathers just get thrown into this thread... If you're going to use that logic, why not mention freedom of speech, goofball has an opinion, as do you. Let it go

Old 09-06-2011, 02:34 AM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 64 Posts

This is pretty much why I'm a fan of any thread that Goofball contributes to.
Old 09-06-2011, 04:00 AM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
"Personally, I don't care if other people smoke. I just don't wanna hafta smell it, pay for it or deal with it."
I actually do care if other people smoke.

And I care if people do other drugs, too. Or drink and fall down and throw up in front of me. Or don't stop at red lights. Or talk loudly on their cell phone. Or wear ugly clothing.

If I was King I would outlaw a lot of stuff. So be happy that I'm not.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:15 AM
Franklin229
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts

Usually, a big fat cigar gets rid of the cigarette smoke smell.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:04 AM
SpeedBump
Happily Amused
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Franklin229
Usually, a big fat cigar gets rid of the cigarette smoke smell.
I found a part of a cigar under the driver's seat of my wife's Porsche after we got it home. You couldn't smell a bit of smoke in that car a week after I got it home and cleaned it (hvac as well) she has a sharp sense of smell and hates the smell of cigarettes. We bought it because it is one of two or three cars made in the color combo she liked and I am glad I was able to get it cleaned up. Helps that it was a cabriolet as well.

As to the post that a smoker obviously would not maintain a car I don't even know how to reply to a generalization that stupid.

Some cars you will get the smell out, some you won't. I've cleaned up a few others in my time with no issue and had a couple of others that I knew had no chance of ever becoming smell free so I passed on them.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:49 AM
OhioLefty
Instructor

Guys (and Gals if you are here),

My original question about removing the smoke odor has been thoroughly addressed and I greatly appreciate all the help and opinions. This thread is starting to turn into what I was hoping to avoid.

I'll try to explain a little better some of the questions that came up here about the car and why I was asking.

I contacted TruSpeed and talked to a very helpful salesman about my search for a 993. I told him what I was looking for (color, options, mileage, non-smoking, etc.) and ask about the only 993 they had for sale at the time. I told him I noticed from the "Sold Inventory" that they have sold a lot of quality cars very close to what I'm looking for. He told me they are "down about 15 cars" from their inventory and hope to get some more. He said he would look into the only 993 they had and get back to me as to the condition inside and out. We both agreed that it wouldn't be a fun trip from Ohio to California if the car was a major disappointment. He called me back about 30 minutes later and told me the previous owner was a smoker and the smell inside was noticeable and he recommended we continue to look.

I have never been a smoker or been around smokers. My workplace for the past 20 years has been "smoke-free" and nobody in my family or wife's family smoke and none of my friends smoke so I really have no guage as to how hard the smell is to remove let alone the film that is left behind that I didn't consider. I have nothing personal against anyone who chooses to smoke as long as it doesn't impose on my rights as a non-smoker.

So, let's put this to rest. I'm passing on the car and will pass on future cars if they have been smoked in as well.

Thank you again for all the helpful suggestions...

Quick Reply: Is is possible to completely remove cigarette smell from interior?