Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Is is possible to completely remove cigarette smell from interior?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 08:49 PM
nedsky
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I never really think about a car being smoked in, I guess, because it's so rare anymore. I know smokers who won't smoke in even their own cars. I don't know that they're thinking about resale but maybe so. I always thought that when a car was advertised as a non-smokers car it had something to do with there being no tar and nicotine residue which can affect electrical contacts.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:00 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nedsky
tar and nicotine residue which can affect electrical contacts.
I heard that smoking in a 993 causes premature valve guide wear.

This thread has now officially:

Old 09-05-2011, 09:14 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by Amfab
If it is really bad and you have to ozone it repeatedly for extensive periods of time the high concentrations of ozone break down the seat foam much faster than normal.
And the dual-distributor drive belt.

Andreas
Old 09-05-2011, 09:17 PM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cigarette smokers always get really defensive about their addiction. And they'll rationalize it to the end. Including denying that it has any affect on non-smokers, and implying that all the non-smokers are just wussies.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:18 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

^^^ Looks like the shark is gasping for air in that picture. Probably a smoker who doesn't have good olfactory senses from all the pollutants he inhaled, poor guy. Maybe he's in the market for a stinky 993.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:20 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Well, cars that have been smoked in (grammar?) are much slower than cars that have a heavy cigarette odor. That's enough reason for me to choose a non-smoking car. I, of course, drive flat-out.

Seriously, I don't have the best sense of smell, but no way would I buy a car that had a strong cig smell. No way. Why would I? Buying a 993 is not a medical or life emergency, despite how good the experience makes you feel, where I have to have one in the garage in 30 days or less; it's a luxury where one can afford to spend some time finding the right one. Disclosure: I found my 993 nine years ago in about three weeks. It was a lucky, low maintenance and "right" purchase.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:23 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Canyon56
Cigarette smokers always get really defensive about their addiction. And they'll rationalize it to the end. Including denying that it has any affect on non-smokers, and implying that all the non-smokers are just wussies.
All addicts do. They can't come to terms with the other aspects either, like self-destructive behavior, lack of self-respect and the damage they've done to their bodies. It's a natural pathology of addiction, and also very sad.

I made a comment on another thread about the correlation between lack of self-respect and obesity, which is just food addiction, and someone took offense to it. I imagine the person who got offended isn't underweight
Old 09-05-2011, 09:35 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 210 Posts

Every time I get into the 993 there is a certain special odor of leather and oil. It is hard to explain, but is a special smell to the car that I really enjoy.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:39 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by nedsky
I never really think about a car being smoked in, I guess, because it's so rare anymore. I know smokers who won't smoke in even their own cars. I don't know that they're thinking about resale but maybe so. I always thought that when a car was advertised as a non-smokers car it had something to do with there being no tar and nicotine residue which can affect electrical contacts.
I doubt that. They usually only buy exceptional cars. My guess is they did this long distance, and got burned. They are pretty straight shooters, and know that the market for buyers of exceptional (but smoked in) cars is limited, and are only being straight with potential buyers.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:41 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What does that have to do with this thread? Has someone here defended their addiction or claimed it didn't affect non-smokers? Ok, I will. When I sneak a smoke in the backyard, which I've done about five times in the last two years, I was all alone. So it had no effect on non-smokers.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:46 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rick Lee
What does that have to do with this thread? Has someone here defended their addiction or claimed it didn't affect non-smokers? Ok, I will. When I sneak a smoke in the backyard, which I've done about five times in the last two years, I was all alone. So it had no effect on non-smokers.
I think what he was implying is, that those on this thread who are overly defensive or in denial about the effects of smoking in cars, are usually themselves smokers.

Personally, I don't care if other people smoke. I just don't wanna hafta smell it, pay for it or deal with it.
Attached Images  
Old 09-05-2011, 09:47 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
All addicts do. They can't come to terms with the other aspects either, like self-destructive behavior, lack of self-respect and the damage they've done to their bodies. It's a natural pathology of addiction, and also very sad.

I made a comment on another thread about the correlation between lack of self-respect and obesity, which is just food addiction, and someone took offense to it. I imagine the person who got offended isn't underweight
Just wow. My most self-destructive behavior is riding a motorcycle as my primary means of transportation (especially now that the 993 is down with the new bumper getting installed). I really have no self-esteem or self-respect because I enjoy getting 45 mpg, being able to park anywhere for free, savor the scenery and wind and pure thrill of riding. Someday, I'll grow up, get some discipline and learn the error of my ways.
Attached Images  
Old 09-05-2011, 09:50 PM
Blue TTop
Pro

Received 68 Likes on 37 Posts

So true!
Old 09-05-2011, 09:52 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Blue TTop
So true!
So false. Who here has even attempted to rationalize their habit (or addiction)? Who has claimed it has no effect on non-smokers? What posts am I missing?
Old 09-05-2011, 09:52 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Nah, huge difference between the two. Riding a motorcycle has many benefits, like the ones you pointed out.

If you smoke, there are very few benefits and many major downsides, but as someone once said...
Cigarette smokers always get really defensive about their addiction.

Quick Reply: Is is possible to completely remove cigarette smell from interior?