Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

How bad is the convertible top on the 993 cab?

Old 07-22-2011, 07:43 PM
mts
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 41 Posts
Default How bad is the convertible top on the 993 cab?

I will soon be in the market for a used 911. The top of my list is a 993 cab. I've always been a "convertible" guy and have had many variants over the years. I had a dedicated track car already so this one would be used strictly for weekend fun driving on the street.

I've been reading some of the cab vs. coupe threads and frankly is sounds like the cab top on the 993 really just isn't very good with comments on the cables shrinking, motor problems, bent frames and many just unhooking the power part completely and going manual with the top. My current convertible is a 986s and that top seems to be a really solid, pretty slick deal.

So for those that have had multiple convertible cars, how bad is the 993 top to live with?

My 2nd choices right now are a 993 coupe or 997 convertible......basically each only in the running based on what I've read so far on living with the 993 cab.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Old 07-22-2011, 07:52 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

It's simple, and this is from a guy that has owned numerous 993 cabs, make the top manual. It was hard for me as I like everything to be in perfect working order but the truth of the matter is a failure on a 993 top is expensive. With everything you've read about the tops I would think the decision is simple. It's a great car and I for one love open air driving. It's still a 993 and the driving experience is great. Make the top manual and enjoy cabriolet experience. If you love ragtops why buy a coupe when the solution is easy?

Mike
Old 07-22-2011, 08:12 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree ... leave the latches power and put it up by hand, you will never have a problem with it.
The following users liked this post:
Gjbacci (12-27-2020)
Old 07-22-2011, 08:18 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree with Mike and Vic. It is actually faster to use the top manual than using the button. Mine is in working order, but rather use it in manual mode.

The only gripe is having to put the boot on to protect the liner from flapping if you are going on the highway.

If you already have a dedicated track car and the 993 will be used as a weekend / fun car, then a Cab is the way to go!
The following users liked this post:
Gjbacci (12-27-2020)
Old 07-22-2011, 08:20 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Cab owners unite!!!

Mike
Old 07-22-2011, 10:40 PM
stace
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

+993 for cabs - go cabs or go home!
Old 07-22-2011, 10:55 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had one! Until just recently

and loved it... And manual op is a very good idea

I say go for it.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:55 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 210 Posts

I have been beating the manual top drum for years. It is the best way to have the top on a 993. There is little bang for your buck in spending buckets of money to keep it stock. Love the turbo... miss the cab!
Old 07-23-2011, 12:58 AM
ble2011
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm in the minority again. I have had no issues with my powered top. Powered or manual, either way, a cab is the way to go!
Old 07-23-2011, 09:53 AM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 697 Likes on 509 Posts

Overview of cab ownership - 16 years......

1) The top wears out naturally at the rear shoulders on both sides.
2) Careful gentle cleaning of the plastic window with plastic cleaner is required to keep it clear - the window is glued in so there is no easy replacement via a zipper design.
3) The power latches were recalled at one time for inadvertent opening at high speeds. Once replaced they can cause issues of staying closed over time and not opening or also can not close, etc.
4) The elastic material on both sides of the the steel bar mechanism that pushes back the top when opening loses its tension and needs to be replaced every few years.
5) If number 4 occurs, there is a chance that the steel black pins (also replaced under recall) that align the top when closing can puncture the top on both sides above the rear top of the door windows.
6) The motors and cables can fail and are an expensive fix - thus manual opening solution - had my cables replaced/realigned once for $ 900 ? about 10 years ago?
7) If you don't use the boot, you can tear the headliner as it flaps in the wind at higher speeds. The boot is also expensive - $ 300 - so treat it well.....and use it.....
8 ) I use soap and water to clean the roof every other car wash and use Scotch Guard to bead up water when it rains for protection - works great...
9) I use rubber lubricant on the rubber seals/parts...every quarter of the year....have one minor leak if power washing the car...very waterproof inside
10) Top does not rattle like other cabs - solid like rest of car...

I still have an original top and was advised that the normal shelf life is about 7 years for a canvas top. I am way overdue for replacement, but the color is still good, headliner good and window is clear.....

You can find the original German canvas material not including boot for about $ 500-$ 600 including new headliner. Installation runs anywhere from $ 1,000 to $ 1,500 on average depending on the shop's rates.

I continue to use the automatic power feature to open and close, have very small canvas patches on the shoulders to prevent wear, a patch on the side of the top where the material frayed from tension to reinforce and precent further tearing, clear 4 inch by 3 inch sailboat tape on the inside of the top where the pins may puncture the top and now I have to nudge open the left latch above driver's side as it no longer pushes up the top upon opening....

All that said I still love the the open air motoring of this particular 911!!

Last edited by abiazis; 07-23-2011 at 10:03 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-23-2011, 09:58 AM
RDS928S
Rennlist Member

Received 677 Likes on 307 Posts

My power top has worked perfectly for 5 yrs. of ownership.
Does not even leak!. I use Raggtop water proof once a year.

Cables twang every now & then especially in real cold weather.

Rich
Old 07-23-2011, 10:34 AM
95 NC 993
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I own 3 convertibles (1995 993, 2002 BMW, 2001 Pontiac), and I love them all. They are all power operated and I would not even consider using the manual method. I am on my 3rd year of ownership with the 993 and have had no issues with the power operation. I did buy one with the latching mechanism recall done and in proper condition to start with. That is important. Is the 993 comparable with the BMW? Yes, very close. Is it comparable with my Pontiac? NO, the Pontiac is light years ahead and has a much preferred glass window. The boot cover is imperative to have with the 993 and make sure it is not torn and fits well. They are expensive to buy. The boot cover is the hardest and most time consuming to put on of the 'verts I own. I still love it! Having the top down on the 993 with that engine sound is priceless as you cruise the twisties.
Good luck with your search!
Old 07-23-2011, 12:11 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by 95 NC 993
I would not even consider using the manual method
That's great. If you can afford to pay the big bill the shops charge to keep it auto or if you can do it yourself, that is the best way to have it. But, if you don't have the talent to fix it yourself or are unwilling to pay the shop, the manual method is the way to go.
Old 07-23-2011, 12:46 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck W.
That's great. If you can afford to pay the big bill the shops charge to keep it auto or if you can do it yourself, that is the best way to have it. But, if you don't have the talent to fix it yourself or are unwilling to pay the shop, the manual method is the way to go.
exactly... you don't have problems with the power top function... until you do. Then it gets expensive.
Very soon after I sold my cab to Darin, one motor or cable had a problem. Fortunately his wife is pretty smart and saw the top go crooked, avoiding a snapped bow piece.
The piece that breaks is $$$. Installing it is $$$$

I got away with using it in power mode for years. I always watched the top carefully and waited for that day...
Old 07-23-2011, 12:58 PM
DocTock993
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

^^------ +993

As it's been said, the powered portion is great, until it isn't.
The manual mode is so good, you wonder why you didn't put it in manual years before.

I'm not a fan of the install/remove aspect of the boot - but the top goes down in March and doesn't go back up until October-November.
(Yes I know this is bad for the window and the fabric & yes, I'm "one of those" who doesn't drive my car in the rain.)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How bad is the convertible top on the 993 cab?