993 Forum 1995-1998

problem with brake rotor grooves

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 10:28 AM
dgmattingley
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default problem with brake rotor grooves

Went to a DE tech inspection on Saturday and they noticed that my rear brake rotors have grooves that feel like a series of bumps when you run your finger across them. The passenger side rotor has the grooves on both sides, the driver's side the grooves are only present on the inside face of the rotor. The tech, although not a pro mechanic, said he hadn't seen grooves like this before. I took the pads out (Hawk Blues installed at same time as rotors) to inspect them and noticed they have matching grooves.

Meanwhile, the front rotors are completely smooth. All four rotors were replaced in March of this year and have 6 track days on them plus minimal road use. I had the car at Watkins Glen a few weeks back and the braking performance of the car was great, no shudder or vibration or anything that felt weird.

I know that the usual explanation is stones/debris between the pad and rotor, but the multiple concentric grooves on all rear rotor sides, except the outer side of the left rear, makes me think it must be something else. Any ideas about what might be going on and is this cause for concern? Is there another explanation besides stones on the pads?
Old 07-11-2011, 11:14 AM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have always had my stock drilled rotors get grooves in them, front and rear. It always happens with more aggressive brake pads.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:15 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 348 Posts

Originally Posted by dgmattingley
Went to a DE tech inspection on Saturday and they noticed that my rear brake rotors have grooves that feel like a series of bumps when you run your finger across them. The passenger side rotor has the grooves on both sides, the driver's side the grooves are only present on the inside face of the rotor. The tech, although not a pro mechanic, said he hadn't seen grooves like this before. I took the pads out (Hawk Blues installed at same time as rotors) to inspect them and noticed they have matching grooves.

Meanwhile, the front rotors are completely smooth. All four rotors were replaced in March of this year and have 6 track days on them plus minimal road use. I had the car at Watkins Glen a few weeks back and the braking performance of the car was great, no shudder or vibration or anything that felt weird.

I know that the usual explanation is stones/debris between the pad and rotor, but the multiple concentric grooves on all rear rotor sides, except the outer side of the left rear, makes me think it must be something else. Any ideas about what might be going on and is this cause for concern? Is there another explanation besides stones on the pads?
grooving is normal, but it should be essentially even on both sides of the rotor, it sounds like you may have stuck pistons on the outer drivers side.

It is also unusual to have the rears that much more worn than the fronts. W/ RS brakes I go through at least 2 sets of fronts(closer to 3) for a set of rears. But the fronts always crack out before they wear out.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:17 AM
Greg H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't think there is cause for concern. I always get grooves front and back. I'm servicing my car right now, ordered new rear rotors but decided to keep my heavily grooved rears on a bit longer since the pads are only 30% gone and the cracks are minimal. The only problem I have had with grooves is that it takes a while to bed in new pads. In the old days I beleive your mechanic could "turn" the rotors - clean up the grooves on a lathe, but I don't think that is an acceptable practice any longer.

Greg H.
Old 07-11-2011, 01:34 PM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
grooving is normal, but it should be essentially even on both sides of the rotor, it sounds like you may have stuck pistons on the outer drivers side.
+1.

BTW, nice set of mods, Don!
Old 07-11-2011, 02:30 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg H.
In the old days I beleive your mechanic could "turn" the rotors - clean up the grooves on a lathe, but I don't think that is an acceptable practice any longer.
It is. Just that no one wants to do it. If you can make your margin by replacing rotors and have near 100% guarantee of no "comeback", who'd take the risk? Rotors are cheap now, anyway.

(Missing my brake lathe, but have no realistic need to get another one.)
Old 07-11-2011, 03:09 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul902
+1.

Was this Jamie Ford's old car?
Old 07-11-2011, 03:15 PM
dgmattingley
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Was this Jamie Ford's old car?
Yep, that's the one.

Originally Posted by Paul902
+1.

Thanks, same to you. RS uprights and tie rods are next on my list.
Old 07-11-2011, 03:18 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

increased surface are equals better rear bias.
Old 07-11-2011, 05:37 PM
dgmattingley
Instructor

It is also unusual to have the rears that much more worn than the fronts. W/ RS brakes I go through at least 2 sets of fronts(closer to 3) for a set of rears. But the fronts always crack out before they wear out.
I'll have to pull the calipers off and have another look, the pistons looked fine and even the dust boots from my winter rebuild seem to be holding up nicely. The outer driver's side did have some very mild grooves, but nothing like the ridges on the other three sides.

My Cayman wore the fronts a lot more than the 993 so far...even after 6 track days the fronts have no signs of cracking and no grooves.
Old 07-11-2011, 05:52 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 348 Posts

I'll have to pull the calipers off and have another look, the pistons looked fine and even the dust boots from my winter rebuild seem to be holding up nicely. The outer driver's side did have some very mild grooves, but nothing like the ridges on the other three sides.

My Cayman wore the fronts a lot more than the 993 so far...even after 6 track days the fronts have no signs of cracking and no grooves.
A Cayman is much more front biased, when I take rotor temps on them I get more than x2 the temp in front as in back

I wouldn't expect much grooving after only 6days, that's why the rears stand out anomalously
Old 07-11-2011, 08:14 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

As always, BIll offers a useful answer.

Enjoy Jamie's car--he drove the wheels off of it.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:12 AM
dgmattingley
Instructor

A Cayman is much more front biased, when I take rotor temps on them I get more than x2 the temp in front as in back

I wouldn't expect much grooving after only 6days, that's why the rears stand out anomalously
Interesting about the Cayman brake temps, and that mirrors my experience, those front brakes got HOT.

Out of curiousity, what are the relative rotor temps on your 993? One thing I like a lot better about the 993 is the brake feel and overall stability under hard braking, the Cayman sometimes felt squirrely in the rear when braking from 120+.

Since I haven't had any problems with the brakes in terms of performance I think I'll just keep running the rotors/pads and keeping a close eye.

Originally Posted by mhm993
As always, BIll offers a useful answer.

Enjoy Jamie's car--he drove the wheels off of it.
Thanks, enjoying it a lot so far and sliding my way down the slippery slope of never-ending mods.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:16 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Yep, that's the one.

Cool, congrats on getting a nice car.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:28 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

One thing I like a lot better about the 993 is the brake feel and overall stability under hard braking, the Cayman sometimes felt squirrely in the rear when braking from 120+.
Something about 40/60 weight distribution. Never driven a Cayman (nor a Boxster hard, really), but it was always a challenge with 914/6s way back when. Except for the one car we had Tilton dual master cylinders in........

Quick Reply: problem with brake rotor grooves